The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-11-2018, 06:07 PM
Guest 928

Default X10 electric nylon string

As some of you know, I spent a number of years going through more than 50 nylon string guitars--Full bodies, thin bodies, and no bodies. And recently Emerald made me a thin-bodied, nylon string, electric guitar. It is stunning!

Rick Turner, Kirk Sand, Carven, Yamaha, Ibanez, Cordoba, Crafter, Aria,& Hermosa all made thin-bodied nylon string electric guitars. The Emerald kicks their butts.

I'm not sure what the magic is, but the thin-bodied X7-OSN, electric, nylon string, sings as an acoustic. I'm so impressed that I am now pushing for an X10, nylon string, electric, thin-bodied guitar.

The X7 thin bodied is so sweet that I can hardly imaging anything better. Except an X10. The X7 is a bit small for me, I have to lean over to play it. It plays easy, and sings in both acoustic and electric mode. But I'd like a bit more body. Kramster knows what I mean.

So stay tuned. I'm stalking Alistair, harassing Sean, and working the forum--darn it, I want an X10, thin bodied, nylon strung, electric guitar!
Old 04-11-2018, 06:49 PM

Evan,
Try a NeckUp on the X7 and you will find you don't have to bend over. I use one on all of my guitars.
Barb
Old 04-11-2018, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
But I'd like a bit more body. Kramster knows what I mean.

Work out more. Hope this helps... You say X-10 sooo much...I feel something in the air... my old school center hole X-10 is a great size!

McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 04-12-2018, 06:24 AM

Can you imagine the how full Alistair's "To Do List" must be ?

All Good Things Take Time !

A thin-bodied X10 would be interesting, but the redeveloped X10 steel string should come first, as Alistair mentioned in Jan. 2016 post #95, in the following thread.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...=405305&page=7
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars
Old 04-12-2018, 09:25 AM
Guest 928

121;

You have a remarkable memory. And I suspect that you are also correct--a steel string revised X10 will come first. And then, somewhere down life's highway, a thin-bodied, nylon string electric guitar.

You are also correct regarding Alistair's to do list. When he first started direct-orders-only there were a number of skeptics. But he has made it work with a compelling line of production and custom instruments. Its been fascinating to watch and be a part of such creative force.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:13 PM
Guest 928

Nephew K; Good advice, thank you.

Barb 1; I appreciate the NeckUp and used one with the Blackbird Rider. But I am trying to minimize my baggage and tote as little as possible.

Everyone: In engineering an X10-OSN, nylon string electric guitar I've just about figured everything I want from the development of the X7 electric--except for scale.
I went with a short scale on the 7 and I'm really liking it. I cannot hit the 16th fret the way I would like but I suspect that Alistair could resolve that problem with a change in the cut-a-way. The big problem may be that I am missing something in terms of volume with a short scale.

What do you think?
Old 04-13-2018, 05:52 PM
Guest 928

I should also point out to all of you waiting for your Emerald guitar, I wrote to Alistair and suggested that he should put you all on a back burner while giving me everything I want. Yo! I'm serious here. My friend Joe has a custom Baylor under production and I told him he could wait in line.

Actually what I told Alistair is that I am 76 years of age and that he should not dilly dallying around. When I go, my wife will not be buying Emerald guitars. As you can tell.,I feel a bit entitled--this would be my 5th Emerald custom, nylon strung guitar. But I am a bit humbled because I realize that Alistair is a one in a million. I feel fortunate in having stumbled onto Alistair and have the opportunity to make a difference.

And so, I want all of you waiting for your Emeralds to step back, make way, give me some slake, respect your elders. Something's happen here...........
Old 04-13-2018, 06:58 PM
Charter Member

I want some slake, too!

Oh, and aren't you the same guy who said you were SO patient while waiting for that fancy schmancy X7 thin-body, electric nylon... just letting Alistair do his thing and make you some guitar magic??
Old 04-13-2018, 07:51 PM

Quote:
I should also point out to all of you waiting for your Emerald guitar, I wrote to Alistair and suggested that he should put you all on a back burner while giving me everything I want. Yo! I'm serious here. My friend Joe has a custom Baylor under production and I told him he could wait in line.

And so, I want all of you waiting for your Emeralds to step back, make way, give me some slake, respect your elders. Something's happen here...........
Anyone else starting to see why a certain someone is just not getting invited to many family outings anymore?
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 04-13-2018, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Everyone: In engineering an X10-OSN, nylon string electric guitar I've just about figured everything I want from the development of the X7 electric--except for scale.
I went with a short scale on the 7 and I'm really liking it. I cannot hit the 16th fret the way I would like but I suspect that Alistair could resolve that problem with a change in the cut-a-way. The big problem may be that I am missing something in terms of volume with a short scale.

What do you think?
Through trial and error, you proved my point to use as much classical guitar wisdom in the design of a crossover as possible. I like short scales, and it makes guitars much more accessible to women and children also.

But reduced tension means that a nylon string short scale can't be as short as a steel string short scale. Classical guitars have been made with 650mm scales for quite a while, and that's Alistair's stated preference. The desire for a shorter scale in nylon exists for the same reasons that it does for steel, and eventually classical guitar makers answered the call. They standardized on 640m.

For those who eat mm's:

650mm = 25.6"
640mm = 25.2"
635mm = 25"
and
24 1/2" = 622mm
24 3/4" = 629mm
24 7/8" = 632mm
Old 04-14-2018, 03:46 AM
Charter Member

Wink

"Rick Turner, Kirk Sand, Carven, Yamaha, Ibanez, Cordoba, Crafter, Aria,& Hermosa all made thin-bodied nylon string electric guitars."

Evan, you've played all of these guitars?

BTW you left out several other thin bodied nylon string guitars, including the Parker nylon string Fly, several Godin models, the Gibson Chet Atkins CE & CEC models, the Carvin NS-1, and the Sadowsky nylon string Stratocaster, and probably more that I don't know about or have forgotten. Soloette, Yamaha and other companies also make thin bodied detachable frame "travel" nylon string guitars.
Old 04-14-2018, 04:58 AM

I had a nylon Godin 13 pin for a lil while a few years back and a Yamaha Silent Guitar nylon as well. Just wasn't feeling the nylons at the time.
Old 04-14-2018, 10:36 AM
Guest 928

Captain; That was yesterday and all my troubles were so far away. I'm older than that now and rust never sleeps.

Tom2; Thank you again. I've come to pay close attention to and trust your observations. In the past you have noted that decisions are often marked by tradeoffs--in this case, easy reach or better tonal and projection qualities. And there is this, with an electric guitar more reach is desirable. I suspect I'll run with your and Alistair's judgment.

Cecil; I owned and/or played all of the mentioned guitars other than the Sand. I also played the Parker and didn't like the narrow nut or super light weight. I owned both the Godin and the Chet and found them to be too heavy for my taste--plus they are not really hollow bodied and seemed to lack a physical resonance that I like. I played the Carvin at the factory in San Diego and don't remember why I didn't take it with me when I left the store. I gave several silent guitars a run, but found I like having some body to an instrument, something to feel and hold.

As you can tell, I was pretty obsessive in my search for an ideal thin, hollow-bodied nylon string guitar. I am particular interested in the hybrids. I've given acoustic/electrics a good run and now I'm working from the other end, an electric/acoustic. The X7 is exceptional in both acoustic and electric modes, for a small thin bodied instrument. I'm thinking an X10-OSN, thin bodied nylon string guitar may be the instrument that gets me down to one guitar.
Old 04-14-2018, 02:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
... I'm thinking an X10-OSN, thin bodied nylon string guitar may be the instrument that gets me down to one guitar.
Now I need a place to hide away. Oh, I believe...

So, you have a gorgeous, custom, one-of-a-kind, X10 nylon... but you want another like that, only thinner? To go with (or replace?) your custom, one-of-a-kind X7 thin-body electric nylon?

You probably heard that ol' saw about "thin is in."

I'm bringin' chunky back!
Old 04-14-2018, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Tom2; Thank you again. I've come to pay close attention to and trust your observations. In the past you have noted that decisions are often marked by tradeoffs--in this case, easy reach or better tonal and projection qualities. And there is this, with an electric guitar more reach is desirable. I suspect I'll run with your and Alistair's judgment.
If you are prioritizing electric, then comfort is more important than acoustic volume, so choose whatever scale length feels most comfortable. There is no limit to how short a scale can be because you can always turn up the electric volume.

If acoustic and electric are equally important, then there is a limit to how short the scale can be, so finding the sweet spot between comfort and acoustic volume is key. I will never buy any guitar, nylon or steel, acoustic or electric, with a 650mm scale. My shoulder, wrist, and fingers don't like it. No amount of acoustic volume or tone can offset this.

My electric is 24 7/8", and it's very comfortable. This is also the most common length for short scale steel string acoustic guitars, such as all Rainsongs with a NS neck. If this length worked for nylon, that would be great because I could have one steel electric, one steel acoustic, and one nylon acoustic all with the exact same scale length.

However, I play nylon pure acoustic, and have grown to appreciate the art of microphone selection and placement as integral to nylon tone. For me, the shortest nylon scale length that is both comfortable and doesn't abandon the laws of physics is 640mm.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber