The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 06-12-2017, 05:29 PM

Default Favorite MTB rides

Didn't want to hijack the "show your bike" thread, so I started this one.

Yesterday was a road trip to a first rate mountain bike ride over in Jackson Hole. A friend and I rode the Game Creek Loop after lunch, covering about 18 trail miles and over 2200' of climbing. Saw songbirds, chipmunks, an osprey fishing, and some beautiful vistas. Weather was just perfect, too. In nearly 20 years of riding, this was quite possibly the best ride I've ever done. My 3 month old Specialized handled it beautifully, not disappointing me a single time.

What would you say is your best ride?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 06-12-2017, 06:49 PM

That looks absolutely fantastic. I really want to do some big mountain rides soon, like this one and ones I see around Crested Butte, CO. The stuff around here is fantastic, but that big, open, adventure feel isn't quite there.

That said, my favorite, most epic ride, and one I'm going to do twice next month is at Tahoe. Mt. Rose Meadows > Tahoe Rim Trail > Flume Trail > Marlett Lake > Marlett Peak. 26 miles, can't recall the climbing. 3000+ I'm sure.

Shuttle up to Mt. Rose meadows at 9000 feet and ride all around and along the ridges overlooking Lake Tahoe.

Mt. Rose Meadows:

Tahoe Rim Trail:

Flume Trail:

Aspens at Marlett Lake:

Marlett Lake:

Marlett Peak with Marlett Lake and Lake Tahoe below. The wind was staggering here:
Old 06-12-2017, 09:28 PM

That's really gorgeous, especially the aspens and the view out over the lake.

I've got my eye on some more road trip destinations for the next couple of summers. I've got Sun Valley, Jackson, Park City, St George, and Moab all within a few hours drive of where I live. It wasn't until this year that I finally discovered a few friends and coworkers that like to ride, so setting up these events has been a huge boost in getting me out there more often.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 06-14-2017, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintj View Post
That's really gorgeous, especially the aspens and the view out over the lake.

I've got my eye on some more road trip destinations for the next couple of summers. I've got Sun Valley, Jackson, Park City, St George, and Moab all within a few hours drive of where I live. It wasn't until this year that I finally discovered a few friends and coworkers that like to ride, so setting up these events has been a huge boost in getting me out there more often.

Those all sound incredible, especially Sun Valley and Moab. Can I come?
Old 06-14-2017, 09:59 AM

http://ridesunvalley.com

They do this festival every year over in Sun Valley. I have to work those days this year, but if you ever head up this way hit me up. Trails start opening around May 1st locally, and some of the high elevation stuff is still closed as I'm writing this.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 06-14-2017, 10:46 AM

That is soooooo up my alley. Would love to come sometime, never been to Sun Valley. I hear the groans (bikes, acoustic music) from the wife and kids now, but it's not like there isn't stuff for them to do there.

Looks like a great vacation option. I guess I'd ship my bike up there. Thanks for the offer! Hopefully someday I can take you up on it.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:58 AM

Every ride with my wife.

She's had a tough few years from "the big c" and some terrible complications but she just keeps going at every point it's allowed. She just got permission to ride again last Friday and we've been at it daily. She's counting down to a procedure next week that will have her on the bench again.

I've certainly done great rides in the mountains and with other travel but it's really special with my wife and the way she's kept at it in circumstances where many would be done.

There's a video I keep on my phone where she was heading out on a winter ride 5 days after surgery and repeating "I will not quit". That's what it's about these days, and of course a hope she'll have all this past soon.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:38 PM

I ride from home. I just get the bike out, pick a direction, and ride a minute or two to get to the first piece of singletrack. There's hours of riding in the woods just outside town and between the residential areas. No real mountains, more like broken terrain where there's always some small hill to go up or down.

and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 06-14-2017, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perttime View Post
I ride from home. I just get the bike out, pick a direction, and ride a minute or two to get to the first piece of singletrack. There's hours of riding in the woods just outside town and between the residential areas. No real mountains, more like broken terrain where there's always some small hill to go up or down.

Nice. I can relate. I've ridden in a lot of great places but pretty much never get tired of the options to just bike the 2 mi from my driveway that starts the closest trail network.

My area is probably not as sparse but there's a superb 6 - 14 mile trail ride just from my driveway.
Old 06-14-2017, 05:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintj View Post
Didn't want to hijack the "show your bike" thread, so I started this one.

Yesterday was a road trip to a first rate mountain bike ride over in Jackson Hole. A friend and I rode the Game Creek Loop after lunch, covering about 18 trail miles and over 2200' of climbing. Saw songbirds, chipmunks, an osprey fishing, and some beautiful vistas. Weather was just perfect, too. In nearly 20 years of riding, this was quite possibly the best ride I've ever done. My 3 month old Specialized handled it beautifully, not disappointing me a single time.

What would you say is your best ride?

It's a great ride ..
Lived right up above Game Creek for 20 years you road right past the back of our property. The trail is down the hill directly behind me .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 06-14-2017, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
It's a great ride ..
Lived right up above Game Creek for 20 years you road right past the back of our property. The trail is down the hill directly behind me .

Small world.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 06-14-2017, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
Every ride with my wife.

She's had a tough few years from "the big c" and some terrible complications but she just keeps going at every point it's allowed. She just got permission to ride again last Friday and we've been at it daily. She's counting down to a procedure next week that will have her on the bench again.

I've certainly done great rides in the mountains and with other travel but it's really special with my wife and the way she's kept at it in circumstances where many would be done.

There's a video I keep on my phone where she was heading out on a winter ride 5 days after surgery and repeating "I will not quit". That's what it's about these days, and of course a hope she'll have all this past soon.
Best wishes to you and the wife, and hope she gets past this quickly. I'm in awe of her toughness in insisting on riding no matter what.

I had to miss a whole season (on road and off) after a work injury a couple of years ago, and just got back into riding last summer. Those first few rides really hurt, and I'd lost so much fitness it was really disheartening. I feel now I'm about 90% of where I was before that happened. The endurance is there, but the power is a little lacking and my skills are still a little rusty at times.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 06-15-2017, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
My area is probably not as sparse but there's a superb 6 - 14 mile trail ride just from my driveway.
We have a small population for the land area, and my area is about right for trails: there's lots of undeveloped space but still enough people to generate trails. Our concept of "trail" is different from most places. Passage through undeveloped land is a Right, as long as you do it on muscle power. Trails here are a natural phenomenom that occurs where people want to go. Nothing official about it, mainly.

The longest I've done was 8 hours leading a group, including some pieces of road to get from one trail to the next. I was pretty beat but wasn't about to run out of trails.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 06-15-2017, 07:13 AM

I've ridden lots of great trails in the northeast and been lucky to hit up a lot of hot spots out west: Moab; Colorado; ID: Pocatello, Driggs; Park City; Sedona, etc.

One of my favorites is a place I used to live near in Rhode Island. I only get down there 1-2x a year now. Here's a write up I did on it on mtbr.com (the AGF of mountain biking): http://forums.mtbr.com/passion/big-r...al-791955.html
Old 06-16-2017, 12:38 PM

I was pleasantly surprised to hear one of my twins ask his mom to join on a ride today.

When my kids were all quite little 8-9 years ago everyone enjoyed a ride together. It would be fun if that changed again.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic