The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-29-2017, 06:28 AM
Charter Member

Default First Carbon Fiber Experience: All Good!

I had my first opportunity to play a carbon fiber guitar over this past weekend. I attended a day-long acoustic jam, and a friend of mine allowed me to play his Rainsong Studio Series S-WS1000N2 for a couple of songs.

I was VERY impressed by the guitar. It had a wonderful, punchy, unique tone that seemed to really compliment my right hand technique. In addition, the build quality was awesome - great action, neck angle, and feel, and it was as light as a feather. Super comfortable to play!

Again, this was my first, and only, experience with a carbon fiber guitar. For those of you who are familiar with this model, and are also "carbon fiber veterans", would you say the S-WS1000N2 is typical of what one would find in most carbon fiber guitars?

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 08-29-2017, 07:37 AM
Charter Member

My experience has been that all the carbon fiber guitars I've played have been nicely made. Just like wood guitars, each manufacturer has their style and sound. The variety of models and sizes, again like wood guitars, will have something for every player.

I've found that the RainSong models are more similar to wood in style and shape... which may mean a "familiarity" for those coming from wood.

One area where CF guitars have the opportunity to show their differences from wood is in the ergonomics: by rolling the sharp edges, having designed in arm-rest bevels, and body-friendly shapes on the back, the CF manufacturer can potentially make extremely comfortable guitars. Offset sound-holes give more feedback to the player.

And, there are different tone/sounds to be had. My RainSong Shorty has a crisp piano-like tone. My Emeralds have a deeper, warmer sound. Playing one CF guitar will show you that carbon is another great option in the guitar world... but it won't show you how many other sound and feel options are available with the other CF models.

Welcome aboard... all of us here who enjoy these guitars started where you are right now. There is a whole lot more to carbon fiber than "you don't have to humidify it."
Old 08-29-2017, 07:50 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Capt. Jim said it very well. To those new to composite guitars, I suggest spending some time in this CF subforum to become familiar with the brands and models and player experiences. Depending on where you live, Rainsong and Composite Acoustics (now Peavey) are the two brands you may find in stores. Emerald (direct to consumer sales), Blackbird and Journey will be difficult to try before buying. Likely, all will be a leap of faith that many of us have taken based on feedback here and videos with great results and satisfaction. Enjoy the journey.
Old 08-29-2017, 08:21 AM

While RainSong's Hybrid constructed guitars are not their most expensive or the most expensive CF guitar across all options, to my ear they might be one of the best choices in CF for traditional tone and good projection (volume).
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 08-29-2017, 08:32 AM
Charter Member

Glad your experience was a good one, Ed. I agree with all the excellent opinions already given in this thread. I haven't played that specific model, but I have played several Rainsongs, most recently their parlors. With that in mind, I would tend to say yes, they are indicative of other CF sounds.

I think one of the reasons CF appeals to me may make sense to me and nobody else... But I'm a Mahogany fan. I like its clarity, precision, bluesiness and fundamental tone. CF does not sound LIKE Mahogany, but good CF guitars have some of those traits. For example, that punchiness you mentioned is something I typically associate with Mahogany. While, the two tones aren't the same, I hear similar traits in them. So, FWIW...

Hope you keep exploring the world of CF guitars... lots of hidden jewels out there!
Old 08-29-2017, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for all the great feedback!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
While RainSong's Hybrid constructed guitars are not their most expensive or the most expensive CF guitar across all options, to my ear they might be one of the best choices in CF for traditional tone and good projection (volume).
It looks like the model I played over the weekend (the now discontinued S-WS1000N2) is one of these carbon fiber/glass fiber hybrids. How do these hybrids differ (in performance and build) from straight carbon fiber guitars?

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 08-29-2017, 09:13 AM

A WS-1000 was my "gateway drug" to carbon fiber instruments 17 years ago. Now I own two Rainsong's, a Blackbird, a CA Cargo, and soon a customized Emerald X20-12 twelve string. The WS shape is a do-everything guitar for me, much like the Taylor GA shape does many things well.

As you noted, the hybrids use a fiberglass / CF mix in the back and sides, which helps get the production cost down. Take a serious look at the new (as of this year) C-H series, with the uni-directional carbon fiber top versus woven fabric, and hybrid back & sides. You won't give up anything in terms of build quality, and the C-H are reputed to be the warmest and most wood-like in tone. Plus they are an amazing value. Ted at LA Guitars is da man when it comes to carbon fiber guitars, and carries basically everything in CF except Emerald (Emerald only sells direct via their own web site).
https://www.laguitarsales.com/index....g-guitars.html
Talk to Ted.
Old 08-29-2017, 10:09 AM

Thanks for the kind words, Earl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-in-Ohio View Post
I had my first opportunity to play a carbon fiber guitar over this past weekend. I attended a day-long acoustic jam, and a friend of mine allowed me to play his Rainsong Studio Series S-WS1000N2 for a couple of songs.

I was VERY impressed by the guitar. It had a wonderful, punchy, unique tone that seemed to really compliment my right hand technique. In addition, the build quality was awesome - great action, neck angle, and feel, and it was as light as a feather. Super comfortable to play!

Again, this was my first, and only, experience with a carbon fiber guitar. For those of you who are familiar with this model, and are also "carbon fiber veterans", would you say the S-WS1000N2 is typical of what one would find in most carbon fiber guitars?
Bout time you tried one, Ed.

As to the S-WS1000N2 you played, it's a now discounted textured finish version of the venerable WS1000N2, the most popular carbon fiber guitar on the planet. About as typical in the CF world as the Taylor 814ce is in the wood world. Besides the WS grand auditorium, Rainsong also builds a Dreadnought, a Jumbo, an OM, and a Parlor, in 14 and 12-fret configurations, all based on traditional shapes, that provide traditional tone.
Old 08-29-2017, 01:28 PM

Quote:

If you're in Columbus, you can try my X20, Rainsong Shorty SG and Journey Overhead. Great guitars.
Old 08-29-2017, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Capt. Jim said it very well. To those new to composite guitars, I suggest spending some time in this CF subforum to become familiar with the brands and models and player experiences. Depending on where you live, Rainsong and Composite Acoustics (now Peavey) are the two brands you may find in stores. Emerald (direct to consumer sales), Blackbird and Journey will be difficult to try before buying. Likely, all will be a leap of faith that many of us have taken based on feedback here and videos with great results and satisfaction. Enjoy the journey.
To be clear, Composite Acoustics is still called Composite Acoustics (website here) but yes they certainly are owned by Peavey, as I understand.

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 08-29-2017, 04:56 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis View Post
To be clear, Composite Acoustics is still called Composite Acoustics (website here) but yes they certainly are owned by Peavey, as I understand.
Yep, for sure and I agree one could interpret the way I wrote it as perhaps a Peavey branding when it's not. The reason I often mention Peavey is because to many, there is a distinction between pre and post-Peavey ownership, especially where there were some QC issues with some CAs around 2010 which matters for anyone considering used CAs.
Old 08-29-2017, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Thanks for all the great feedback!

It looks like the model I played over the weekend (the now discontinued S-WS1000N2) is one of these carbon fiber/glass fiber hybrids. How do these hybrids differ (in performance and build) from straight carbon fiber guitars?
The hybrids probably differ in two key areas, the back is CF-spacer-Fiberglass, and the bride plate equivalent (what replaces the spacer between the CF layers of the top under the bridge) is probably also fiberglass. To my ear these changes mellow the guitar out a bit, not as far as CA's guitars, but enough to sound best to me while retaining the full volume of a great wood guitar (which for me the CA's don't do). The Concert Hybrids, even less expensive, really work well for me (but you might like something else better). I have no recent experience with Emeralds and have never played a McPherson. I've played a few Blackbirds over the years and don't have a firm opinion on them. I've made this point a few times on this forum, that only RainSong has made enough guitars over enough time to claim enough production experience to prove their product's longevity. Not that the others might not be as good or better, but the raw numbers are likely not there at this time.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 08-30-2017, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
I agree, that's why I chose a hybrid. I'd really like to hear the new CH series. Or maybe I wouldn't, since I'm happy with my H!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber