The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 12-07-2019, 09:54 PM

Post Help.... Best places/dealers to get wood

Folks, would like to say thanks for posting, sharing, and answering questions.
I am trying to start building guitars, but I need to start learning where to buy the, how to buy, best way to buy the tone wood. Any legit resellers. Do i locate someone that just sells the wood before it goes t buyer that dedicate some self to sell to lose years. I’m hoping you guys can guide me in the direction where I can buy some wood. Please share any links or companies or wholesale places that sell the wood. Please forgive me if I didn’t post in the right area of this forum. But I do want to thank you in advance for pointing me in the right direction. Please post any links or companies that sell the kit already that are already milled.

This is my first post on here. Thank you for your patience.

The instrument I am play and I am trying build is Mexican Bass Guitar. 10 strings. The instrument is canned Bajo Quinto. (Bajo = Bass) (quinto = 5) 2 sets of strings From bottom up FF, CC, GG, DD, AA.

Javier M.
Bajo Quintos

Last edited by ups.tech; 12-08-2019 at 12:59 AM. Reason: Explained the Instrument I am trying to build.
Old 12-07-2019, 10:29 PM

Be sure to get someone who knows guitars well: these come to me - LMI, Hibdon, Hearne, Oregon Wild Wood...

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 12-07-2019, 11:02 PM

Can’t go wrong with LMI, and they also have many tools and much wisdom you’ll come to need...
Old 12-08-2019, 01:12 AM

What does this mean.
FIGURED WALNUT ARCHTOP BACK & SIDE.
Archtop means what? I am really new to building guitars.

Javier M.
Bajo Quintos
Old 12-08-2019, 01:55 AM

Arch top is like a jazz guitar where the top is carved and relatively thick, often (usually?) with f holes, rather than a regular steel string guitar which is more or less flat and very thin (sub .125”)
Old 12-08-2019, 05:25 AM
Charter Member

Javier: Welcome to the Acoustic Guitar Forum. Could you share a little about yourself in regard to playing guitar and woodworking? Rather than merely purchasing a pile of wood, had you considered starting with a kit such as one like this from Martin Guitars??? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Martin-Buil...IAAOSwBPddjI~H
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 02-11-2023, 09:02 PM

Lightbulb Looking for a Shop/Place that sells exhibition, standard,or any type of wood for Guit

Hi guys,
I ve been away for some time but wanted to say hello and happy Guitar building. I am in need of a great place/places that I can buy set/kits for making guitars. Also is there such a thing where folks can walk in the store front, look at the wood available and buy a good quantity amount. Does that still exist? Or is everything online? I want to build a relationship with my supplier which business works better this way. Please if anyone can help me or any suppliers on this forum are here, please call me or email me.

Email: [email protected]
I Can email my phone also.
I didn’t want to post my phone here just to respect this forum’s guidelines.

Thanks guys.
The Newbie Guitar Maker, but with a twist!
Javier

Javier M.
Bajo Quintos
Old 02-14-2023, 08:57 AM
Charter Member

I think, if you want to deal with a walk-in supply house, you should start looking around within walking, or perhaps, driving distance. You may even check with local lumberyards - you can sometimes find clear, quartersawn material there, which can be an easy way to get going - otherwise, mail-order has kinda taken over everything -
Old 02-14-2023, 10:29 AM

Cumpiano and Natelson's book is still considered the bible of beginner luthiery so I would recommend you get that and read it through and through. Living in California like you do you can't go wrong with Luthiers Mercantile (LMI) as mentioned and delivery will be quick.

But also:

RC Tonewood
Allied Luthiery
Alaska Specialty Wood
Stewart MacDonald
A. Hix Tonewood
Madinter Spain
Eurotonewood
Aryawoods
Maderas Barber

And many more. The above names I have bought from in the past.
Old 02-14-2023, 04:13 PM

How many instruments are you planning on making?
Old 02-14-2023, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ups.tech View Post
Hi guys,
I ve been away for some time but wanted to say hello and happy Guitar building. I am in need of a great place/places that I can buy set/kits for making guitars. Also is there such a thing where folks can walk in the store front, look at the wood available and buy a good quantity amount. Does that still exist? Or is everything online? I want to build a relationship with my supplier which business works better this way. Please if anyone can help me or any suppliers on this forum are here, please call me or email me.

Email: [email protected]
I Can email my phone also.
I didn’t want to post my phone here just to respect this forum’s guidelines.

Thanks guys.
The Newbie Guitar Maker, but with a twist!
Javier
There are 2 good wood stores within an hours drive of me in Ontario, Canada that have a selection of tops, fretboards, back and side sets, etc. Their prices are better than LMI or Stew Mac. That doesnt help you much in California but you should be looking at wood stores that have guitar wood rather than Luthiers supply stores.
If you want to build a lot of guitars, buy rough sawn lumber and cut your own parts, big savings

Last edited by Fathand; 02-14-2023 at 05:41 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair