The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-17-2019, 05:28 AM
Charter Member

Default In case humidifiers - What do you use?

Yup, I've done the search and humidification has been discussed many times.
Here in the UK we don't really have house/room humidifiers, and generally speaking we don't have electric warm air heating (nor air conditioning).

We DO tend to have brick walls with insulation between inner and our skins (of questionable effect), and we do have double glazed windows.

Last years I used a combination of soap dishes with water beads, and small cheap between the string items. - the soap dishes leaked sticky water, and the small soundhole units seemed to dry out very quickly.

I have just received the Planet Waves soundhole unit (£7, and the Music Nomad unit (£12) shown below.
The sponge part of the Nomad seems more profound than the Planet Waves unit.
So, do any others use any of these products or would you recommend others?

Thanks in advance
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0425.jpg (51.6 KB, 362 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0426.jpg (48.9 KB, 363 views)
Old 11-17-2019, 05:36 AM

I live in Sweden where heating and triple glazing is pretty much needed (and more or less standard).

I use the Planet Waves sound hole humidifier. During the winter when the hearing is on constantly and the air inside and out is very dry I find I need to moisten the sponges roughly once a week. I’ve been a bit lax recently so I need to check them every other day until the guitars get back to their ideal moisture content.

I rarely hang guitars on the wall and then usually only an electric or two.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 11-17-2019, 05:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieterh View Post
I live in Sweden where heating and triple glazing is pretty much needed (and more or less standard).

I use the Planet Waves sound hole humidifier. During the winter when the hearing is on constantly and the air inside and out is very dry I find I need to moisten the sponges roughly once a week. I’ve been a bit lax recently so I need to check them every other day until the guitars get back to their ideal moisture content.

I rarely hang guitars on the wall and then usually only an electric or two.
Hi Pieter, thanks for that. Funny that you mention hanging guitars on the wall, I've been thinking of doing that, myself as I'm not playing out so much, but maybe I'll wait until spring!
Old 11-17-2019, 05:58 AM
Charter Member

I use the Boveda / Daddario humidipak system. You change them when they start getting smaller and harder, but they recharge easily (just put them in a Tupperware with a bowl of water) because they absorb excess humidity as well as add humidity when it’s needed. The always seem to keep my case right around 48-52%. You never have to add water, you just change them before they get hard...
Old 11-17-2019, 06:01 AM
Charter Member

I keep the guitars in their cases year round. In winter I use water beads in soap dishes. I've never had any kind of leaking, I drain the water beads before putting them in, and I only have to recharge them 2 or 3 times all winter.

Old 11-17-2019, 06:07 AM

I just cut a potato in half and put it in the pick compartment.

I use the Planet Waves.
Recording King RO227
Fender FR-50
Baby Taylor (spruce)
Blueridge BR 180
Eastman E10 SS/v
Old 11-17-2019, 06:48 AM

Planet waves in the sound hole....soap dish ( with 6-8 1/4" holes drilled into the top) and wet kitchen sponge inside. Case must be kept flat of course...soap dish either in space by the headstock or down lower by the neck attachment area. I have been using this for ten years...works great...costs next to nothing.
Old 11-17-2019, 07:11 AM

I use a combo of Planet Waves Humidipak and the Oasis sound hole units. I have a fair number of both. I tend to keep guitars in cases when things get dry and even tend to keep them in their cases in the winter just as a precaution.
Over the summer, I keep the Humidipaks in a tupperware container with the Oasis units; I charge a couple of Oasis units, and the Humidipaks all are recharged and ready for the next winter.
'66 Gibson J-200, '55 J50, JB Model 1; Martin M-36; Micheletti Osprey Rigid Rim; Collings OM2H, GR Bear OM C; Emerald X10 Slimline; Gretsch HOF Country Gent & G6120CMHOF; Gibson ES-165; CP Thornton Improv; Veillette Flyer 14 & Lyric; Anderson Crowdster++ ....
Old 11-17-2019, 07:29 AM

Happy with Oasis.

I have two different soundhole humidifiers, one with the hygrometer combo. Also have one that sits by the headstock, comes with a magnet clip.

Martin OM-28V
Yamaha FSX3
Godin Arena Pro CW Bourbon Burst
Manuel Rodriguez Magistral D-C
EBS Stanley Clarke Sig. Acoustic Pre
Alto TX210 powered speaker
Old 11-17-2019, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
I keep the guitars in their cases year round. In winter I use water beads in soap dishes. I've never had any kind of leaking, I drain the water beads before putting them in, and I only have to recharge them 2 or 3 times all winter.
This is what I do as well. No problems.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 11-17-2019, 07:49 AM

I use Humidipaks, Oasis and a sponge type unit. I also have a Honeywell evaporator two gallon portable humidifier. With the Humidipaks and the household humidifier I seldom use the others except if it is exceptionally dry. I split time between Minnesota (very humid summers and very dry winters) and Arizona (exceptionally dry most of the time) so humidity concerns are always an issue. My guitars are kept in their cases. With an inexpensive Inkbird hygrometer and a watchful eye I seem to maintain 42%-48%.
Old 11-17-2019, 08:00 AM

I live in New York City. Winter means very drying radiator heat. I do place containers of water on the radiator to evaporate, but I'm lucky if the indoor humidity gets to 25%.

I'm a recent convert to the Music Nomad, sound hole, sponge unit that you have in your photo. I like it quite a bit. Between that and one Dampit that I keep in the case under the headstock, the humidity in the case remains consistently between 45% and 50%.

I generally need to re-wet my sponges about once a week.
Old 11-17-2019, 08:01 AM
Charter Member

I live at 8000 ft in the Rocky Mountains very dry and high. Low RH is a big issue year round. For me after trying many options, now and for the last 15 years I use Oasis exclusively. They can be purchased on Amazon

https://www.oasishumidifiers.com/

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 11-17-2019, 08:09 AM

Plastic soap dish with holes drilled and sponge.
Old 11-17-2019, 08:11 AM
Charter Member

I use the Music Nomad model like you have pictured. Been using them for the past three winters with no problems.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion