The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-04-2019, 02:09 PM
Charter Member

Default Emerald Nylon String Guitars

Now that fellow AGF member, AND also fellow Emerald guitar owner, "EATSWODO," here on the AGF, has very kindly taught me how to upload photos onto the AGF (THANK YOU!!!).........

This thread is devoted to posting photos, stories, comments etc of Nylon String Emerald guitars.

As some of you know, I commissioned the first Emerald Nylon String guitar, an X10 Artisan, in 2008. The body is bi-refringent, brilliant green from straight ahead, dazzling blue from a certain angle.

In 2017 I ordered a 640 mm scale length custom cocobolo Emerald Nylon String X10 guitar. Alistair tinkered with the design somewhat, and by the time the guitar was built in 2018, it featured the new X10 body.

I love playing both of these guitars!

Unashamed promotion: If you want to see photos of the 2017 Emerald steel string X 7 Woody, OR photos of the 7 string Godin Electric Encore Nylon String guitar, head over to the Guitars-for-sale classifieds.

Emerald 2008 Custom X10 Nylon String Guitar by Tom Schlater, on Flickr

2008 Emerald Custom Nylon X10 by Tom Schlater, on Flickr

Emerald 2008 Custom Nylon String Guitar by Tom Schlater, on Flickr

Emerald 2018 X10 Cocobolo Nylon String Guitar by Tom Schlater, on Flickr

Emerald 2018 Cocobolo Nylon String Guitar by Tom Schlater, on Flickr

Last edited by Kerbie; 11-12-2019 at 03:11 AM. Reason: Privacy
Old 07-04-2019, 02:31 PM
Charter Member

Although I didn't commission it, I ended up owning it - with much thanks to EvanB and kramster! The X10 nylon woody slimline has become my primary gigging guitar. It's also my fourth custom woody. I still have three although I am hoping to trade or eventually sell off one of the steel string customs so I can pick up another nylon Emerald! They are that good.

Old 07-04-2019, 02:31 PM

Thems some right fine axes right there
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 07-04-2019, 02:39 PM
Charter Member

What Kramster was just sayin'.....beautiful. I want one.
Old 07-04-2019, 08:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Although I didn't commission it, I ended up owning it - with much thanks to EvanB and kramster! The X10 nylon woody slimline has become my primary gigging guitar. It's also my fourth custom woody. I still have three although I am hoping to trade or eventually sell off one of the steel string customs so I can pick up another nylon Emerald! They are that good.

Beautiful, unique collection sir!

Todd in Chicago
Old 07-04-2019, 11:35 PM
Charter Member

Sir Methos, Kinda loaded question, if you had to pick one of the nylon Emeralds for acoustic playing only....which would it be?
Old 07-05-2019, 06:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
Sir Methos, Kinda loaded question, if you had to pick one of the nylon Emeralds for acoustic playing only....which would it be?
Very hard to say. I've never played any Emerald nylon other than the X10. I can say that the X10 has surprisingly great tone AND volume considering the smaller slimline body. I would say as a general rule the same things apply for nylon Emeralds that do for steel string models.

I would guess that each model has its own thing going on. If you wanted the most volume and don't mind the size then the X30 is probably pretty awesome. The X20 probably has the best of everything with more manageable size and great tone plus decent volume.

The X10 gives you a smaller, extremely comfortable body and long scale with good tone and volume while the X7 is nearly the same for tone and comfort but also has the shorter scale so it's a great couch or take-anywhere traveling guitar.

And then if you start adding customizations (body thickness, scale length) it's a whole new ballgame. I suppose it depends on the end user and what they need and/or prefer.

I will say for me personally, if I was only going to have one nylon and didn't care about amplification I'd go with the X7 in nylon with a custom 24.6" scale. Basically the same as my steel string X7. From a comfort perspective it's a delightful guitar to play and its tone and volume is on par with both my X20 and X10.
Old 07-13-2019, 03:42 PM

Oh no! My nylon itch is flaring up again! An X20 with a slotted headstock would be mighty fine.
Fender Ukelele

https://youtube.com/channel/UC7aq_u2nyCgtIPffgyWob1A
Old 07-13-2019, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danz567 View Post
Oh no! My nylon itch is flaring up again! An X20 with a slotted headstock would be mighty fine.
I too was plagued with the nylon itch a couple months ago. When I eventually made it to the local music store and played a bunch of nylon guitars I quickly realized that nylon wasn't for me. The itch is completely gone now. A cedar topped Godin steel string cured my nylon itch. I encourage you to go play some normal wooden ones first before investing all that money in a carbon nylon. This forum is good at causing many different types of itches!

Last edited by GuitarLuva; 07-13-2019 at 05:39 PM.
Old 07-13-2019, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
I too was plagued with the nylon itch a couple months ago. When I eventually made it to the local music store and played a bunch of nylon guitars I quickly realized that nylon wasn't for me. The itch is completely gone now. A cedar topped Godin cured my nylon itch. I encourage you to go play some normal wooden ones first before investing all that money in a carbon nylon. This forum is good at causing many different types of itches!
I actually tried one today in the local store. I didn’t pay attention as to what brand it was. It wasn’t a Godin. It didn’t have the really wide neck like some of them do. It actually felt pretty good so the itch is still there.
Fender Ukelele

Old 07-13-2019, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danz567 View Post
I actually tried one today in the local store. I didn’t pay attention as to what brand it was. It wasn’t a Godin. It didn’t have the really wide neck like some of them do. It actually felt pretty good so the itch is still there.
My apologies after reading this I realized some of my other post might not have made sense. I ended up with a cedar topped Godin steel string not a nylon. I will edit my previous post.

I think nylons are cool but not enough to convert me. Even if I bought one I feel it would get played for about a week and than end up collecting dust. By all means don't let me sway you either way, just wanted to share my own itch that I had. I was originally interested in nylon strictly for fingerpicking purposes.

Of all my years playing guitar I never owned a cedar topped guitar and for that matter I don't even recall ever playing one (though my memory is quite bad). The Godin was warm, mellow, sweet and the price was just right. It was love at first listen!
Old 07-13-2019, 05:46 PM
Charter Member

You are correct Luva, I bought one of the Taylor nylon string guitars, I liked it and it was fun to play, but I just didn't play it enough, I preferred the steel strings. I returned the Taylor after a month. I feel lucky to have had that option. Don't get me wrong though, I'd still like to try an Emerald nylon to see if there is a difference....
Old 07-13-2019, 06:08 PM
Charter Member

I'm convinced more than ever that my Emerald nylon X10 is the perfect guitar for me. I'm in no way a classical guitar player. But I do play fingerstyle and when I strum it's with fingers and/or thumb - no nails, no picks. I like the Emerald nylon for two reasons - comfort of the nylon and the softer, mellower tone suits the type of music we play. Win-win.

I'm so convinced that I want another one. I've got both my other Emeralds up for sale but I've not been bumping them. I'd love to find a trade with someone that thought nylon was for them but found out different. So at this point just watching the classifieds. Something will pop. Came real close to making a straight trade of the X20 for a Furch nylon but we both had reservations so the deal did not happen.

Last edited by Methos1979; 07-14-2019 at 08:38 PM.
Old 07-13-2019, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
You are correct Luva, I bought one of the Taylor nylon string guitars, I liked it and it was fun to play, but I just didn't play it enough, I preferred the steel strings. I returned the Taylor after a month. I feel lucky to have had that option. Don't get me wrong though, I'd still like to try an Emerald nylon to see if there is a difference....
I tried 2 Taylor nylons while I was there and those were nice as well. I agree with you I would love to try an Emerald nylon but I certainly wouldn't be willing to pay for one. It was a fun experience though and it helped me learn to control some of my impulses!
Old 07-13-2019, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
I'm convinced more than ever that my Emerald nylon X10 is the perfect guitar for me. I'm in no way a classical guitar player. But I do play fingerstyle and when I strum it's with fingers and/or thumb - no nails, no picks. I like the Emerald nylon for two reasons - comfort of the nylon and the softer, mellower tone suits the type of music we play. Win-win.

I'm so convinced that I want another one. I've got both my other Emeralds up for sale but I've not been bumping them. I'd love to find a trade with someone that though nylon was for them but found out different. So at this point just watching the classifieds. Something will pop. Came real close to making a straight trade of the X20 for a Furch nylon but we both had reservations so the deal did not happen.
I play mostly finger style also and strum with fingers and thumb too. I have a thick layer of Acrylic put on my picking nails. I get them touched up once a month. It’s been a long time since I used a pick. I’m not rushing into anything. I really love my X20. I’ve only taken the Martin to an open mic once since I got the Emerald in December. The nylon itch comes and goes. It seems to coincide with posts and pictures in the forum here lol.
Fender Ukelele

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber