The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-30-2019, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post
I can recommend Larry Robinson. My partner had her custom guitar fretboard inlaid.

In her case, she had the luthier send the neck just before final attachment. The turn-around time was not excessive (maybe 4 weeks).

Are you looking at inlay on an existing guitar? That would entail a lot more prep work.
Yes it is a complete guitar.
Old 11-30-2019, 09:15 PM
AGF Sponsor

FWIW, You’ll likely have waaaaay more invested in inlay work than the guitar is worth. What you are asking is not as simple as it may seem. It’s doable, as most things are, but you may find it’s cost prohibitive.
Old 12-01-2019, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
I think Mike has someone else do most of the fancy inlay that show up on his guitars. He does not represent himself so much as an inlay artist as a luthier. I can certainly endorse his work as a luthier. The inlay he did for me was well-executed but simple, just as I'd asked for.
Oh really? I didn't know that. Well then, I guess the OP should look into whomever that is haha
Old 12-01-2019, 11:21 AM
Charter Member

Smile Good point Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
FWIW, You’ll likely have waaaaay more invested in inlay work than the guitar is worth. What you are asking is not as simple as it may seem. It’s doable, as most things are, but you may find it’s cost prohibitive.
What Tim said is very true. And, any modifications will almost always LOWER your potential resale value, should you ever wish to sell.

May I be so bold as to suggest you save your moolah for a Luthier built all solid wood guitar that suits your eye?

BTW, I once met Bob Taylor in his office at the former R.Taylor shop. When I complimented him on the spare and lovely aesthetics, and awesome tone, of the RTs he replied, "You can't hear inlay!"

It sure can be pretty though !

Just trying to help, here.

Be well and have FUN

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 01-02-2020, 08:34 AM

This “project” reminds me of some of the kids I see with $3,000 worth of rims and tires on a $700 truck.
Old 01-02-2020, 04:52 PM

Default Another option: Inlay your Truss Rod Cover!

Dat, one option to consider is to get an inlay on your guitar's truss rod cover. I did this with Larry Robinson (mentioned by earlier posters) last year for three guitars. My best guitar got a 'lone cypress' image (from Carmel, CA) in honor of my avatar and forum name. The other two got a 'home in the woods' motif inspired by a scrimshaw design on my Froggy. Both designs were well-executed by Larry, give my guitars a lovely, custom look, yet were relatively inexpensive.

It might be a nice option to consider for your Taylor, and has the added bonus that if you ever change guitars to another Taylor, you can keep your inlayed TR cover and port it to your new guitar. Has no impact on future resale, and you get to keep and enjoy it as long as you have a model guitar that fits the TR cover.

For me it was a great way to inexpensively customize a guitar. PM me if you'd like more info!
Old 01-03-2020, 01:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Cedar View Post
Dat, one option to consider is to get an inlay on your guitar's truss rod cover. I did this with Larry Robinson (mentioned by earlier posters) last year for three guitars. My best guitar got a 'lone cypress' image (from Carmel, CA) in honor of my avatar and forum name. The other two got a 'home in the woods' motif inspired by a scrimshaw design on my Froggy. Both designs were well-executed by Larry, give my guitars a lovely, custom look, yet were relatively inexpensive.

It might be a nice option to consider for your Taylor, and has the added bonus that if you ever change guitars to another Taylor, you can keep your inlayed TR cover and port it to your new guitar. Has no impact on future resale, and you get to keep and enjoy it as long as you have a model guitar that fits the TR cover.

For me it was a great way to inexpensively customize a guitar. PM me if you'd like more info!
Thanks CC, I didn't know Larry did work like that. A useful contribution to the thread.
Old 01-03-2020, 05:32 PM

Default Image of inlay on truss rod cover

In case anyone's interested, the truss rod cover is shown in the pic's below, by itself and on its guitar. Design motif from a photo of Carmel, CA Lone Cypress with fog in background. I got the idea to do this from Stevied63 on AGF - his TRC inlay is lovely!

This approach is not as fancy as inlays on a fretboard or elsewhere, but a heck of a lot easier and cheaper, plus you can "take it with you" if the guitar moves on...

Old 01-05-2020, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitarro View Post
Jimmi Wingert is also famous for her inlay work although she had taken a hiatus earlier and I do not know if she is accepting work yet.
Jimmi is taking work, but probably on a reduced schedule. Some of the recent work she's done for a commission is in the Bashkin build thread in my sig line. I think she is one of the best, but many incredible artists are noted in the threads so far.

Bashkin 00-12 Adi/Hog
Bashkin 0M-MS Swiss Moon/PRW(build thread)
Bashkin GC-12 Sitka/Koa
Carter-Poulsen J-Model German Select Spruce/MacEb
Fender MIJ Strat ('90) and 50s RW Tele ('19)
Martin 00-28c Spruce/BRW('67)
Martin M-36 (R) Sitka/EIR
Michaud O-R Cedar/Koa - New Build
Michaud J-R Sitka/MBW
K. Yairi RF-120 Spruce/EIR
KoAloha KTM-25 Koa/Koa
Yamaha G-231 Cedar/Hog ('71)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Tags
custom inlay, fretboard, inlays, luthiers