The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-17-2019, 08:19 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
I use the Boveda / Daddario humidipak system. You change them when they start getting smaller and harder, but they recharge easily (just put them in a Tupperware with a bowl of water) because they absorb excess humidity as well as add humidity when it’s needed. The always seem to keep my case right around 48-52%. You never have to add water, you just change them before they get hard...
Yep...that’s what I do as well. Always have a bunch fat and rehydrated to swap out with the others when they dry out.

Old 11-17-2019, 08:20 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Andy, I had used both the Nomad and the D'Addario and discovered the Nomads kept the moisture longer than the D'Addario so I replaced all my D'Addario with the Nomads. The Nomad "sponge" is good for a couple of years at best but you can buy replacements without having to buy a whole new unit.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 11-17-2019, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

I’ve used Oasis case- or soundhole-humidifiers for years. No problems, other than a couple that started to show damp spots around the seam, so those were replaced with similar units.

A couple of years ago I bought a couple of the Music-Nomad humidifiers - worked fine, but the sponges dried out quickly, and I needed to re-wet them every four or five days, whereas the Oasis humidifiers were good for 8-10 days at least.

I now have a Planet Waves Humidipak system in my Lowden’s case - it’s been in there since December 2018, and the paks are still fine, no replacements have been necessary. They’ve kept the RH in the case between 47 and 51 for a year now.

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 11-17-2019, 09:44 AM

Thumbs up

I bought a new guitar about a year ago that came with a complimentary Daddario “Pro” version humidifier and the inside sponge was fantastic, seemed to be a much more dense material than previous models and held moisture for quite a bit longer than my old soundhole models. I did a little searching around and found this:

Amazon - SAUGWUNDER Super Absorbent Sponge

I have no affiliation in any way to the product or seller but I will say that the material feels just like the Daddario pro version and seems to hold moisture for a LONG time. I bought a couple and put them, cut them up in old prescription pill bottles drilled with holes and they fit great in all my cases. Currently they seem to stay moist for a little over a week which has worked nicely as I travel quite a bit. It’s basically just a nice quality sponge, would probably also be great for car detailing or crafts but it’s pretty cool, it arrives rock hard and once you soak it, it stays moist a looooong time

Bourgeois L-DBO All Mahogany
Huss and Dalton TD-M Adi
Mule Brass Tricone

"If you dig it, do it. If you really dig it, do it twice” -Jim Croce
Old 11-17-2019, 09:53 AM

If you aren’t using a calibrated two way system, you NEED a hygrometer.

I use a variation of the sponge in a soap dish method.
I have containers with holes in them.
In a few minutes, I’m going to the guitar cave to check on them...and rewet as needed.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 11-17-2019, 10:09 AM
Charter Member

I use however many humidipaks necessary to obtain 45-50% RH. Sometimes during extreme low humidity here in So Cal in the winter, I have to use more than three, and up to six for my Orangewood in the gig bag.

I use Sensorpush. Way better system than D'Addario/Blustream sensors.

http://www.sensorpush.com
Old 11-17-2019, 11:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
I keep the guitars in their cases year round. In winter I use water beads in soap dishes. I've never had any kind of leaking, I drain the water beads before putting them in, and I only have to recharge them 2 or 3 times all winter.

Same. I used to use Oasis but they need weekly refilling and had problems. Now it’s water beads in a soap dishes. They last a long time and don’t leak as they are solid throughout.
Guilds: 69 F312 Braz, 89 Nightbird II, 91 Nightbird CU, 94 GV70, 96 A50 flattop, 06 CO1 Cedar, 11 F30CE, 13 CS F30R Reno Star, 14 GSR F30CE Coco, Orpheum OM RW, Orpheum SS Hog. SOLD: Guilds: 78 F40,79 F112,’87 GF60R,94 DV72,07 CS F47 Braz,11 DD6MCE,12 F30,12 F30R,18 F2512. Other: 70 Epi 5102,74 Ibanez LesPaul,90 Gibson ES347,15 Alvarez MFA70,15 Martin OM28VTS,15 Epi ES339Pro,16 Alvarez AF60
Old 11-17-2019, 01:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueser100 View Post
I use however many humidipaks necessary to obtain 45-50% RH. Sometimes during extreme low humidity here in So Cal in the winter, I have to use more than three, and up to six for my Orangewood in the gig bag.

I use Sensorpush. Way better system than D'Addario/Blustream sensors.

http://www.sensorpush.com
More humidipaks don't make it more humid - they just last longer than fewer. The only time you might need more is if you're starting out with a really dry CASE and it needs to be brought up to a healthy baseline - otherwise the case may be sucking up most of the humidity until it gets into that 45-55% neighborhood. But they make 72% humidipaks for "seasoning" a case that's starting out in a very dry state. Once everything is up around 45-55, three humidipaks should hold that just as well as six. But if you're leaving the guitar in the case for an extended period, like if you're leaving town for a few months, they doubling up is smart because you've got that much more humidity "capacity" to work with... I had a pretty good talk with the folks at Boveda when i was first using these things to better understand the workings. They were incredibly helpful.

-Ray
Old 11-17-2019, 03:36 PM

I use the Herco humidifier.

My acoustic is an f hole (flat top), no big sound hole to assist.
Old 11-17-2019, 03:41 PM

I only humidify 1 guitar - all the others are on stands in my living room.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 11-17-2019, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I have just received the Planet Waves soundhole unit (£7, and the Music Nomad unit (£12) shown below.
The sponge part of the Nomad seems more profound than the Planet Waves unit.
So, do any others use any of these products or would you recommend others?

Thanks in advance
Of what is in the picture, the no-name Chinese soundhole ones are the best.
Music Nomad is 2nd,
The Planet waves one is the worst.

The old Planet waves (solid top, green sponge) were great. The new ones with that yellow sponge are almost worthless, have to re-wet the sponge every 3 days, they simply don't hold enough moisture.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 11-17-2019, 07:23 PM

I've switched over completely to the soap dish and water beads and couldn't be happier.
Old 11-17-2019, 07:23 PM

You must have used some sort of different bead than the ones I use. Granted I bought these ten years ago and have been using the same beads ever since, they certainly may have changed the formulation.

With the beads I've been using, there is no liquid. The water is absorbed by the bead material and it is in a fairly solid gel form. Nothing has ever leaked out (knock on wood)

Good luck in finding something that works for you.

Old 11-17-2019, 07:32 PM

D'addario Humidipak keep the humidity in my acoustic guitar cases at 49-50% under dry room conditions caused by central heating during winter. I don't have a solution yet for humid summer conditions, as these Humidipaks have a poor reputation for working the other way round. Maybe desiccant packets.
Taylor 562ce 12-string
Old 11-17-2019, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
I use the Boveda / Daddario humidipak system. You change them when they start getting smaller and harder, but they recharge easily (just put them in a Tupperware with a bowl of water) because they absorb excess humidity as well as add humidity when it’s needed. The always seem to keep my case right around 48-52%. You never have to add water, you just change them before they get hard...
Humidipaks and Humidtrak, work great for me.

Last edited by Birchtop; 11-21-2019 at 01:31 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion