The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-24-2020, 06:31 AM

Default Acoustic Pedal Board DI

I’m swapping my pedal board around but it means losing my DI out from the Fishman Tonedeq that was on the board but now removed.

Is adding a simple passive DI at the end of the board to go to the PA mixer the most sensible way around this? There should be enough gain going through the pedals to not require an active DI?

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 09-24-2020, 06:57 AM

Should be fine! Radial’s JDI is a high end industry standard and sounds fantastic on acoustic boards. I have the Duplex (stereo) version though I usually use the Pz-pre with my acoustics.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 09-24-2020, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieterh View Post
Should be fine! Radial’s JDI is a high end industry standard and sounds fantastic on acoustic boards. I have the Duplex (stereo) version though I usually use the Pz-pre with my acoustics.
Thanks for that I was thinking Radial - there’s a used passive stagebug available at the moment which is a likely candidate

Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 09-24-2020, 08:09 AM

I use a Whirlwind imp 2. Sound techs like it to the FOH.
Old 09-24-2020, 08:23 AM

I use a Fire-Eye Dee-Eye. It has an effect loop and can run on phantom power, but just use it for a passive DI without power or the effect loop and it sounds great. Phantom power it not required if you are not using he effects loop. Small and simple, I just mount it under my board.

https://www.fire-eye.com/dee-eye-1
Old 09-24-2020, 03:58 PM
Charter Member

You have it backward if you have a piezo pickup. You must have a devise with a 1 Meg ohm input impedance as the first thing after your guitar running passive pickups like K&Ks. If you have a battery in your guitar, disregard this. Your guitar has a pre in it. So if this is the case, a passive Di like you'd use for keyboards would work fine for long cords going to the PA from your board. The input impedance doesn't have to be high.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 09-24-2020, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
You have it backward if you have a piezo pickup. You must have a devise with a 1 Meg ohm input impedance as the first thing after your guitar running passive pickups like K&Ks. If you have a battery in your guitar, disregard this. Your guitar has a pre in it. So if this is the case, a passive Di like you'd use for keyboards would work fine for long cords going to the PA from your board. The input impedance doesn't have to be high.
Yes, Brick is correct, if you don’t have a preamp in the guitar you’ll want an active DI. At least that is my experience with K&K.

Jack

1975 Mossman Great
1995 Taylor LKSM-12
2008 Taylor Fall Ltd GC
2008 Applegate C Nylon Crossover
Fender Stratocaster - Eric Johnson Model
Nyberg Cittern
2011 Eastman AC508M
2012 Epiphone ES339
Old 09-24-2020, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawk View Post
Yes, Brick is correct, if you don’t have a preamp in the guitar you’ll want an active DI. At least that is my experience with K&K.

Jack
This is only relevant if you are going straight from pickup to DI. The fact that you have pedals in between means you have dealt with those issues earlier in the chain. Whether you've done that appropriately is a separate question.

Most pedals put out the level of signal a DI (active or passive) is expecting to encounter, level is rarely an issue. Most decent DI models are well designed and sound pretty much the same despite what the brochures say.

All other things being equal the main issue you will encounter is whether the PA can provide phantom power to run an active DI, most will and some DIs can run on battery if not. A passive DI needs no external power and will sound fine. The Whirlwind mentioned is very solid and reliable.
Old 09-25-2020, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick84 View Post
Thanks for that I was thinking Radial - there’s a used passive stagebug available at the moment which is a likely candidate

Stage bugs are cool!
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 09-25-2020, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
The tuner at the start has a 1 Meg ohm input so that’s no issue. I just need the option of an XLR out.

Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 09-25-2020, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick84 View Post
Is adding a simple passive DI at the end of the board to go to the PA mixer the most sensible way around this? There should be enough gain going through the pedals to not require an active DI?
The gain requirements of passive and active DIs should be much the same, both are designed to take an instrument (or line) level signal and reduce it to mic level.

Radial are great but UK company Orchid Electronics make active DI's which are equivalent in quality for about ¼ of the price. The simple micro DI is £28 shipped within the UK but they do ship worldwide too.

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews...onics-di-boxes
Mountain D45 (mid '80s)
Brian Eastwood ES175/L5
Gibson Les Paul Custom (1975)
Brian Eastwood '61 Strat
Bitsa Strat with P90s (my main electric)
The Loar F5 Mandolin,
Samick A4 Mandolin
Epiphone Mandobird
Brian Eastwood '51 P Bass
NS Design Wav EUB
Giordano EUB
Old 09-25-2020, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam.spoons View Post
The gain requirements of passive and active DIs should be much the same, both are designed to take an instrument (or line) level signal and reduce it to mic level.

Radial are great but UK company Orchid Electronics make active DI's which are equivalent in quality for about ¼ of the price. The simple micro DI is £28 shipped within the UK but they do ship worldwide too.

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews...onics-di-boxes
I do have an Orchid classic DI box which I use with my K&K Eastman. Ideally I want passive then I don’t need to rely on phantom power (now more room to power it from the power brick on the board either)

Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification