The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-28-2019, 04:52 PM

Default HELP: Collings OM3 vs. Gibson J200

Hi all,

I need some serious help.

I currently own a Gibson J200 which I have a love hate relationship with. I have been obsessing lately over Collings guitars and their level of craftsmanship.

I have the opportunity to purchase a Collings OM3 Adirondack, but this would require me selling my Gibson J-200. I won’t get to try the Collings before I buy it but it looks exceptional and I’ve never heard a bad word regarding these guitars.

Please share your thoughts and help me out.

Many thanks
DV
Old 10-28-2019, 04:58 PM

Hard for me to believe that a j200 would beat a good OM, but I am pretty biased. I think the OM form is the most versatile there is.
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 10-28-2019, 05:04 PM
Charter Member

One of my band-colleagues bought a Collings OM3 a couple of weeks ago. Absolutely stunning and beautifully, tastefully understated, and a fantastic-sounding guitar. In a different league to the J-200 AFAIC.

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 10-28-2019, 05:05 PM

I had a love-hate relationship with a jumbo once. I loved the way it sounded, but I hated the way it hurt my forearm when I played "finger style."

Anyhoo, I wouldn't buy a guitar unless I played it first. Even a Collings. Unless you can return it. I've played a great Collings OM, and I've played some "meh" ones. Same deal with Martins, Santa Cruz's, etc.
Old 10-28-2019, 06:00 PM
Charter Member

What is it about the J-200 you love and hate? I've owned a couple Collings OM's (both deep body OM1/OM2H) and while they were fine guitars I found that I'm a dread guy and sold any smaller guitars I owned. I would think the J-200 would be a great guitar but I've never found one in the wild to play.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 10-28-2019, 06:07 PM

I’ve also enjoyed some Collings as of late. Their customer service is top notice so if you can get the serial number they can give you an idea of the specs and what to expect.
Old 10-28-2019, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyvale View Post

I currently own a Gibson J200 which I have a love hate relationship with. I have been obsessing lately over Collings guitars and their level of craftsmanship.
DV -- you leave a lot of things unsaid. I'm guessing you haven't played any Collings, since you only mention craftmanship.

What style do you play on a guitar? My own bias says that an OM is more versatile than the J200, but I don't think that helps with your dilemma.

As already said, what don't you like about the J200?
Old 10-28-2019, 06:25 PM
Charter Member

Hi, I have a good friend who is a very talented finger-style guitarist and he told me that he used to own a j200, and now owns and plays an OM3.

How he managed to play such intricate fingerstyle on a j200 defeats me- but when he comes to my club and plays, the sound from his Collings is simply blissful.

Below, I've linked to a track from his latest, home recorded album - others are available on his YT channel. .

Old 10-28-2019, 06:33 PM
Charter Member

As much as I appreciate a good J-200, the Collings is in a different league.
One poster said he played some that were “meh”, just like some others.
I’m not inferring his experience was anything but what he said it was, but I’ve never heard anyone I know say anything about Collings being inconsistent from guitar to guitar. In fact, just the opposite.
My vote is for the Collings. I just don’t see any comparison.

Mark
Guitars; Esteban -"Tribute to Paula Abdul L.E." Arturo Fuente- Cigar Box"Hand Made" First Act-"Diamond Bling" Main Street- "Flaming Acoustic" Silvertone-"Paul Stanley Dark Star" Daisy Rock- "Purple Daze"
Old 10-28-2019, 06:37 PM

2 very different guitars.
I'm a strummer so it's the J-200 for me over any OM - but hey, that's just me.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 10-28-2019, 06:51 PM
Charter Member

The Collings is literally, a "precision instrument" for precision playing... the SJ200 is a perfectly fine rhythm guitar but despite being used by Rev. Gary Davis, there is no real comparison.
Old 10-28-2019, 06:59 PM

I had a similar experience a few years ago. I had a great Jumbo guitar that I just didn't bone with. Sold it and got a different guitar that I love.

Make the trade and don't look back.
There are a lot of good J-200 guitars out there if you ever do want to go back.
Old 10-28-2019, 07:07 PM
Charter Member

If you haven't played a Collings, I would never sell what you currently own and roll the dice. I went through a Collings phase a few years back, owned two OMs and a CW Indian. They make a great first impression and are very loud, play like a coiled spring. But...their tone is on the modern side and VERY articulate. They also demanded my very best technique at all times to sound their best. You cannot play a Collings loosey goosey like your typical Martin or Taylor.

As an owner of a J-45, the mellow laid back smooth tone of a Gibson is almost a 180-turn from your typical Collings tone. Also, I find their OMs to be seriously lacking in bass response, and their dreads to have only modestly more bass than a typical Martin OM. I admit I am a vintage voiced Martin guy, and readily embrace that bass-biased mid-scooped traditional sound. The Gibson vintage voicing also appeals to me. Collings have a "hot" midrange, strong highs, and an articulate piano like tone. I don't care for them strummed AT ALL, which is why I caution you if you love the mellow attack of your J-200 strummed.

Good luck.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 10-28-2019, 07:08 PM
Charter Member

Not trying to hijack the thread but my luthier/tech just texted me. Seems he has a '92 J-200 Rosewood model he's trying to move for a friend. Looks like I finally get to play one...tomorrow!

Sorry...just excited to try one?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 10-28-2019, 07:21 PM

Default Re: Rosewood J-200.

I have a J-200 Rosewood Limited Edition. It is from the 90s -- I would need to take a look at the label to be sure exactly. I have had this guitar for almost 20 years. I also have a Martin M-36 and a McIlroy AD-30. Very different guitars. I play finger style exclusively, even on electric. The J-200 is an excellent guitar for finger style; it has a rich and full sound with clear articulation. The bass really booms when that is what you are looking for but it does not overwhelm the mid and treble. I have played a couple of Collings. Excellent guitars, obviously, but much like Taylor with a bright, almost sharp sound. Depends on what sound you are looking for, but the Rosewood J-200 is a wonderful guitar for finger-picking.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
acoustic, collings, collings om, gibson