The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 03-29-2003, 08:12 AM

Default Recomend a Basic Metronome

I am a beginner getting ready to by my first guitar.
(Trying to decide which Taylor to buy....decisions decisions)

Checked out a surprisingly good book from the local library for beginner guitar. It recommended a metronome. I had never heard of a metronome. It teaches very basic music notation,and chords and gets started very quickly strumming with a metronome. Sounds pretty good to me.

Mapletrees dropped by another thread I have going and noticed I was a beginner and recommended a metronome. I want to get one but I dont know anything about a metronome.

Before I go shopping for one I would like to get a little input.Would you folks give me some recommendations on metronomes. If you have a particular model and it works good for you let me know.

I appreciate anyone taking a few minutes to share your thoughts. I have been on this forum about a month now and have been amazed at the wealth of knowledge here and the sharing that takes place between experienced players and the novices like me.
Old 03-29-2003, 06:02 PM

I use a Seiko DM-20 digital metronome. They are about the size of a credit card and can be set more accurately than traditional mechanical metronomes, plus they are much more portable.
Old 03-29-2003, 06:27 PM

Smile call me Andy Analog....

definitely prefer the simple ones that have the big rotary dial....

if you go to the Musician's Friend website and search on "metronome" you'll see all sorts...

some of those other ones look like they're going to launch chemical weapons at you...

but opinions are like........
Indeed, there is something in the current DC/NY culture that equates a lack of unthinking boosterism with a lack of patriotism. As if not being drunk on the latest Dow gains is somehow un-American. - Arianna Huffington May 11, 2009
Old 03-30-2003, 12:27 PM

Thanks for the input jazzinthebox and mapletrees.

I had gone to a very small store near work(not my Talor dealer) Thursday that didnt have any metronomes. They said metronomes were too expensive anyway and it would be better for me to take some lessons (very expensive lessons) and they would teach me how to time by tapping my foot. I'm a beginner but this did not sound like very good advice.

Will check out the Seiko and Musician's friend.

Thanks for taking the time go share a little knowledge. Good advice is hard to come by.
Old 03-30-2003, 01:51 PM

A Seiko digital metronome will cost you $20-30 dollars, which is probably the price of only one lesson.
Old 03-30-2003, 06:56 PM

However, you can't always have a metronome with you on stage, so it's necessary for you to learn to keep time by yourself. However, I think a metronome is the best way to do this.

Look on e-bay.
Old 04-01-2003, 12:05 PM

Default Korg MA-30

I have a Korg MA-30 that I used to practice with. It is harder to get used to because it works on the beat and visual dots. The beats have different pitch when it gets to the final count. However, I get confused sometime in the count. I saw a Seiko that has beat and visual light that turns colour from green to red for the last count.
Old 04-02-2003, 10:36 PM

Anything that goes click click click is excellent ( they don't even have to look nice ). Big AZZ Round dial is prefered, trust me, once you start using it you'll know why.

Stay away from anything credit card like, I know some of you own them, but they are not clear enough for beginners, not to mention a pain to set.

I say you get something like a matrix MR500, I got one for those, you can even plug earphone in it, has a red led for tempo also (but I feel that the led is a bit off, just an extra anyway), they are very cheap (price wise) and practical. They may not look too hot, or fit inside your wallet, they are the ideal players metronome.

Remember don't cheapout and get a bleep card, you'll regret it, kind of like getting a dremel to do a real router's job. Sure it'll work.... ... anyway you get the point.
Old 04-02-2003, 11:23 PM

I use the Matrix MR500 that Virtuoso suggested, and prefer it to some that cost nearly ten times its $20 or so. The Quik Time QT-3 appears to be essentially the same thing, $15.20 in a year-old Elderly catalog.

cotten
Old 04-03-2003, 07:48 AM

Default Re: call me Andy Analog....

Quote:
Originally posted by mapletrees
definitely prefer the simple ones that have the big rotary dial....
As usual, mapletrees is right. The great thing about the ones with the big rotary dials is that you can change tempo quickly, without having to mess around with tiny buttons.

I have the Sabine one with the dial...cost $29 (I think) from Musiciansfriend.com.

Anybody that tells you not to buy one and instead spend it on lessons is yanking your chain. Metronomes are critical practice tools, and any teacher that tells you otherwise is not a good teacher to begin with.

If you want to succeed, you should strike out on new paths rather than travel the worn paths of accepted business. John D. Rockefeller

Uncork New York!
Old 04-19-2003, 10:42 PM

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to give me a little help.

I really appreciate it!
Old 04-20-2003, 08:09 AM

Did you get one? If so, what kind? How's it working for ya?
Old 04-20-2003, 10:03 AM

I also have the Sabine big dial metronome, which I also recommend. When I was much younger, I bought one of the early digital metronomes, which used a tone instead of a click. I can't figure out why these manufacturers would design a metronome that uses a confusing signal with a definite pitch-it was maddening to use it, to say the least. I have always had to work on my rhythm, so I still practice with a metronome, much to the consternation of family (if you are not the one practicing, it acts a "water torture" to your ears). When you are beginning, you need both a good teacher and a metronome, sorry to tell your wallet. Hang in there and keep playing.
Old 04-21-2003, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DCW
When you are beginning, you need both a good teacher and a metronome, sorry to tell your wallet. Hang in there and keep playing.
The good teachers at my local Taylor dealer have a one year waiting list for lessons.

Since I have never played I am going to start with the book/cd lessons and a metronome.

I havent bought a metronome yet been busy planting the garden and tending the vineyard.

Thanks to all of you, I know what kind to get now.

Last edited by yosemitesam2002; 04-21-2003 at 09:16 PM.
Old 04-21-2003, 02:41 PM

You will still need a metronome, I guarantee it

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell