The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 03-12-2003, 04:01 PM

Default How do you reduce anxiety before a gig?

How do you reduce anxiety before a gig? What should you eat or drink or take or do?
Old 03-12-2003, 04:34 PM

Practice and know your stuff cold.
Old 03-12-2003, 04:58 PM

Never really had a gig with a guitar, but performance anxiety is performance anxiety... so, some good anxiety reducers (assuming you have it down cold) would be 'play for yourself', enjoy the playing, be an entertainer rather than a perfectionist, focus on what you want to happen, not on what you don't want to happen. Could go on and get zen-like and say 'be one with the music'.

the best to you!
Old 03-12-2003, 05:07 PM

You figure it out, let me know. I still get jittery before each and every show. Of course...it all goes away about halfway into that first tune, when you start "feeling it"...

I just resign myself to the fact that I'm a wreck before getting up there. Once it gets going though, it's a different story.
Old 03-12-2003, 05:42 PM

I agree, I am just a wreck prior to going on stage if there is a big crowd (or people I know). But after the first song things get better. I try and make the first song one that people like and that I can do in my sleep. Then you get a good response and it gets better from there.
CS Tele (Sherwoodforest)
PRS Ted
Guild Starfire III,
2X Dr.Z Ghias
Bunch O' pedals
Old 03-13-2003, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Boogie
I agree, I am just a wreck prior to going on stage if there is a big crowd (or people I know). But after the first song things get better. I try and make the first song one that people like and that I can do in my sleep. Then you get a good response and it gets better from there.
Exactly, oh, and remember to pee before you start.

2003 Taylor 814cES
2000 Taylor K14c
2011 James Tyler Variax JTV-69, Lake Placid Blue
JR Beck SHC-908 (ES 135 copy)
Crate Powerblock and JDesign custom cabinet

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/stevefeinstein,
The Tim and Bob Show buy our CD at http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/timandbob
http://www.feintuned.com
Old 03-13-2003, 06:21 PM

Deep Preparation is the key to keeping an even emotional state if you are a in demand performing Guitarist.

if this doesn't work,,

Use MO-Taylors method #2 for gig-stress elimination.

go on stage with a eye popping Presentation grade ALL Koa guitar...(Taylor or other....it doesn't matter.)

by the time the glazed-eyed audiance has stopped gawking over the Stunning Figure in the Koa.......the gig is over, and they didn't notice one mistake.

seriously though,

(know Your music backwards and forwards) and, as you perform, play as if you are sharing somthing special with a friend.....

also, practice at home making mistakes and recovering smoothly.

consistancy AND smooth recovery is the sign of a PRO.

i once saw Phil Keaggy while in concert during a solo instrumental accidently step on his cord and yank it out of his guitar .

he reached down, found it, plugged back in, and played on like it was all a part of the show.

SMOOTH RECOVERY.

MT

Last edited by Mo-Taylors; 03-14-2003 at 11:12 AM.
Old 03-13-2003, 06:33 PM

Stay home.

Serious answer: use it to your advantage. Being anxious about a gig means you care about it. Consider the alternative.

So if you care about it...it's going to be a great experience, one way or the other...maybe a "learning" experience( ) or a major league I'm a god ego-fest( )...

Other suggestions:

Keep it brief.

Don't talk a lot, just play.

Practice, like Frayne said...but don't beat yourself up if you flub something...people hardly notice unless they notice you noticing.

The best possible practice is putting yourself out there, on the line, in front of people.
Old 03-14-2003, 08:21 AM
Eric Skye

Practice. It’s pretty safe to say we’re mostly nervous we’re not going to play well. Practice mainly the parts you don’t do well, over and over. And do a dry run of the whole show, maybe record it. Warm up before hand, and start with something easy. Have a plan in case you get lost in a piece, have some part you know you can find your back to again in advance. I think we’re also nervous that the little things aren't going to fall into place. For instance, I always try to leave early so I have plenty of time to get there, figure out where I’m going to set up, find outlets, etc. Doing that stuff in a hurry will amplify your stress quite a bit. Just like bringing a pillow to sleep better in a hotel, I’ll often bring my favorite chair to gig. Maybe I’m just uptight, but something like a weird chair or stool can throw me off. You have to know before you leave the house that things probably aren't going to sound the way you would like. Take as much time as possible to find a tone you can live with. There are going to be gigs where your tone is amazing and inspiring, there are going to be more gigs when it’s not. I recommend using a simple setup, the more gizmos you have, the more work it’s going to be to get a tone in a new place, and the more likely something will go down. A little harmless Buddha advice: keep your thoughts on the task at hand. Try to keep reeling yourself back into the moment when you feel like you’re starting to think about what you just did or are about to do, let alone what’s going on around you. Just focus on making music. And breath, the brain is air cooled.
Old 03-14-2003, 08:32 AM

Heroin.
Old 03-14-2003, 09:18 AM

get there early, get all nice and set up (in my band that means soundcheck, and that can be very stressful if you're opening for a band with an jacka%$ soundman..it;s best to get that out of the way early in the day...)

then, i hang out and talk with friends...see their excitement and it gets me excited...

but at least 15 min before go time, i sit down and warm up a bit on my guitar and holler like a fool to get my voice going yes, this is a babe retardant!
Old 03-14-2003, 06:51 PM

A few hours before start stretching and deep breathing. It may hurt a little at first (depending on your flexibility) but after 10-15 minutes you'll feel relaxed.

I usually do this before business presentations and you would be surprised how effective this is.

Just don't pull a muscle.
Old 03-15-2003, 06:55 PM

All good advice from everyone (don't know about the heroin comment though)!

I've been performing for over 30 years and I can tell you that I'm nervous before every show! To help deal with this, I have my pre show routine down to almost the minute. Everything from loading my gear to setup, sound checks, guitar warm-up, vocal warm-up and the first songs of the beginning set. Once I make that first intro strum or riff, I've been told that that certain smile comes across my face and it shows I'm doing what I love - having the time of my life!

Yes, know your material cold. Have faith in your gear and the guitar that set your heart on fire. For sure, have faith in yourself!

Channel your nervousness into energy that gets your music and message across. Be excited about your music and your audience will also catch the fever!

Don't let mistakes ruin your evening, I've seen Peter, Paul and Mary, Judy Collins, Gordon Lightfoot make mistakes on stage. They just kept on going as if nothing happened! Most people in the audience didn't even notice (except Gordon who forgot the lyrics to Early Morning Rain the people singing along helped him to get back on track)! Have a song or two that you love and know well in your back pocket. In the event you really trash a song - it happens to all of us, you pull these out to get any lost confidence back. Don't be afraid to laugh at yourself if people notice a mistake. I usually use the line "Sorry folks but I just had a major brain fart", and then launch into one of my "confidence" songs. Get's me and everyone back on track.

Bottom Line, feel the music, and have FUN!!!!

Folkman
Old 03-15-2003, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Noflatpick
Heroin.
I once saw a very famous fingerpicker playing at a local venue who was obviously using both heroin and cocaine. (I won't name him because I don't want to get sued.) He'd start off with rapid-fire fingerpicking, then gradually slow down to slow delta blues, then excuse himself, leave the stage, come back, and start the cycle again with rapid fingerpicking. It was sad and amusing at the same time. This was years ago and I hear he's cleaned up his act since then.
Old 03-15-2003, 08:53 PM

Dear nnvan,

Wow!

That is some excellent advice from Folkman and Min7b5 and others. I don’t want to be redundant, but I’d like to say that:

1. Total Mastery of your repertoire is essential. Knowledge will eliminate so much anxiety.

2. As suggested, bring something familiar and comfortable to your gig.

3. nnvan, I am not trying to be weird here by saying this, but I can not tell how greatly you are affected with this, so I want to mention this from another point of view:

A true “Performance Anxiety” if you have one, is a clinical emotional condition. It comes from the same place as Panic (anxiety) Attacks.

Being “nervous” before a gig is natural – but if it does not go away after you get warmed up, you probably should look into this farther. Many, many artists who have a performance anxiety have the condition treated medically. It can be treated with prescription medicines such as Klonipin (Clonasipam) and others.

These medicines can be a Godsend to a professional artist with this condition. You must make an appointment with your primary care physican and tell him / her that you have the condition and wish to persue treatment. This medicine is also a Panic Attack “killer”. If you flip out on planes for example, Klonipin will make the attack a “non-issue”. As with all drugs of this nature, mature and controlled use of it is necessary. If one has this condition, booze only makes it worse.

Bye for now,
-grm

Last edited by gmccall; 03-15-2003 at 08:56 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell