The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 02-02-2008, 08:35 PM

Default Vocal processor/recording

I am looking at some of the TC-Helicon products. What I would like is a vocal processor that will allow me to process vocals before recording (add reverb, etc.) and then record on my H4 using an eternal mic (SM-58).

I would also like to eventually (dare to) do open mics and would like to use the processor live as well.

I'm not stuck on the TC-Helicon products but I hear they are excellent.

I also own a Mac laptop that I move the files to. Right now I use GarageBand (and am I learning Cubebase) to process what I record after the fact. It would be nice to be able to add reverb, compression, etc. afterward.

Any help? Thanks all!
Old 02-02-2008, 09:25 PM

I've been using a TC Helicon Voice Prism Plus for recording for a few years now. I like its sound quality and its versatility. In a live situation I use it as my vocal mic preamp/effects box. Its only real disadvantage is that for live use as a vocal harmonizer it requires extensive programming in advance and then frequent use of a floor pedal to follow chord changes. The Voice Prism Plus has been DC'd but if TC Helicon's newer gear is of equal quality it should be very good.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 02-02-2008, 09:36 PM

Thanks for replying so quickly. I'm not terribly interested in the vocal harmonies (I don't think) more so the vocal enhancement aside from that (reverb, compression, doubling, etc.) I was looking at the VoiceLive but can't see if it has a recording out so I could line it out to the H4.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:09 PM
Charter Member

Normally, vocal processing is done after the track is recorded, with the occasional exception of compression.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:25 PM

Really? OK, now that changes things maybe? The VoiceLive is appealing for gigging out but if it won't do me any good recording-wise then maybe it's too pricey and investment.

I'm throwing out ideas as I know nothing but want to learn
Old 02-03-2008, 12:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaW View Post
Really? OK, now that changes things maybe? The VoiceLive is appealing for gigging out but if it won't do me any good recording-wise then maybe it's too pricey and investment.

I'm throwing out ideas as I know nothing but want to learn
Gigging is different. All processing is done live. But for recording vocals, that's not the case, with occasional exception for compression and perhaps some eq.
Old 02-03-2008, 01:50 AM

If you're going to apply signal processing to recorded vocals, best to do so after you have recorded the tracks without enhancement (except for compression if you are singing softly and close-miked). Your programs (GB, Cubase) have all the software tools you need to do this, and if you don't there are plug-ins you can install without purchasing additional hardware. For live performance, you don't need a vocal processor to apply reverb--you can do that from almost any PA or board with built-in effects; if yours doesn't have them you can put a Nanoverb, delay pedal, chorus, compressor, etc. in the effects loop. The Helicon's main advantage in live performance is its ability to real-time pitch correction (to a finite extent) and harmonies that track chord changes (if you program it). Anything like that, IMHO, is overkill for open mics or even most working solo singers' gig setups. If you need that (or an Aphex Aural Exciter) in your shows, the larger rock-oriented clubs will have it in their effects racks. For smaller venues, it's definitely more than is called for (and too complex a setup if you're sharing the bill with several artists or doing an open mic). I know of very few (and none in my acquaintance) solo acoustic singer-songwriters working at less than the major-label level who travel with anything more than a great mic and good cables for their vocals.

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 02-03-2008, 08:04 PM

OK, I tried to write back twice today and got the white screen of death. I'm trying again.

Thanks all for your responses. Sandy, I'm seeing that perhaps I am trying to overkill something simple. Thanks so much. I will explore Cubase some as I am quite ignorant of its use. I think I will also plug in the Shure SM58 and use that instead of the mics in the H4 and see what happens.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:34 PM

Linda,

Ditto to all the suggestions on adding reverb and delay in the mix after the tracking. Just a add a little, not too much.

Another suggestion is to invest in a large diaphragm condensor mic for vocal recording. They generally give better results than the SM58 for recording.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell