The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 10-26-2005, 09:15 AM

Default Voice going down the tubes!

I have a gig Friday night and have been fighting a cold/allergies for about 3 weeks now. I am about ready to cancel. Everytime I practice, I get through about 3 or 4 songs and start to lose my voice.

I have only cancelled one gig in my life and really don't want to cancel this one, but I am extremely concerned about this.

It scares me to just not sing until Friday night and have it happen at the gig. Any suggestions? Any magic elixers (no pun intended) to drink or take to help me out?
Old 10-26-2005, 10:01 AM

Smile

Mark, I recently had a cold like you described. I could hardly speak at all for a week. It made a day of teaching very interesting, but since I knew the kids and had another teacher to work with, it worked. I used these herbal throat lozenges. They bring some relief but don't really cure the throat problem. As for singing, about the only thing I could do was rest my voice and let my throat heal. I hated it because I so love to sing. It took a good 4 weeks before I could sing again at all. I was fortunate in that I was able to sing enough that I could teach music one day. I took a guitar and taught them my silly, goofy Halloween songs. I needed quite a few sips of water and had a few times I had to clear my throat, and there was definitely some scratchiness, but it worked. This past Sunday was the first Sunday in more than a month I was able to sing in church. Yesterday, I was able to sing pretty good and had more stamina. I still needed the water, but I generally do keep water close at hand when I sing. It's just that the throat has gotten better. I think only time, rest, and being careful not to strain the voice was all I could do. I hate these kinds of colds. I seem to get one every year when the seasons change. Anyway, I just wanted to sympathize with you. I'll be reading to see if anyone has magical cures.

MAKE it a GREAT day!!!
Marge
And wrap it all around you." John Denver

Guitars: R.Taylors: Style I Brazillian/Sitka, Style I Quilted Mahogany/Swiss Moon Spruce; Taylors: JDCM, XXX-MC, 954ceL2, DDSM, XXXV-9string; Larrivee: koa/sitka parlor
Old 10-26-2005, 10:09 AM

I am not a singer, but this link might help.
http://www.voicedynamic.com/pdf/DownloadSoreThroats.pdf
Old 10-26-2005, 10:31 AM

Default singing the blues or the blues of singing

Hey - just thought I would throw in two things.
1. I know this sounds REALLY stupid, but if you can focus on relaxing your throat tilt your head down and thik of singing out of the top of your neck....

2. This is even dumber (but works) try swirling your arms while singing.

These are just two things will relax the muscles in your chest and neck and allow you to use your lungs and diaphram versus the vocal chord (which is what is failing you when you loose your voice)

Takes LOTS and LOTS of practice. Look up the Alexander Method for vocals if you want some more tips.

Good luck!

Taylor 314ce Koa LT
57' Strat Reissue
Kurzweil PC2X
Martin DM
Old 10-26-2005, 10:33 AM
Guitar Gourmet

My Ear Nose & Throat surgeon had me use a product called "Alkalol" (not alcohol). It is mixed 50/50 with hot water to make a warm solution and used as a gargle and sinus rinse. It cuts the mucus and lets you expectorate it. If you are getting drainage from the sinuses, you'll want to do the sinus rinse to cut things off at the source. Gargle the solution to cut the mucus out of your throat and sooth the throat. Do it two or three times daily, including once before you sing. You can get Alkalol from pharmacies. It is behind the counter but non-prescription. Ask the pharmacist for a sinus douche cup to mix and run it in.

Bob

The product is made in Taunton, Mass. I spent last week praying the dam in that town wouldn't collapse!

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 10-26-2005, 11:00 AM

Thanks for the replies.

Marge, thanks for the support and kind thoughts.

Bern, the article is good and made some sense.

Bob, I will try and get some of that stuff.

johnny_p, I think they'd run me out of the bar is I start singing and swirling my arms around. But I do remmeber from college voice training about "singing out of the top of your head." I will try and concentrate on that a little more.

Keep the ideas coming. I'll make this gig after all!
Old 10-26-2005, 12:33 PM

Try some hot lemon grass tea with extra honey.. a short shot of brandy or whiskey in it helps to numb the lining of the throat. Honey for coating, lemon for clearing. Works wonders!
Old 10-26-2005, 02:12 PM

There's a brand new Sucrets formula out there that's supposed to work really well (I think it's called "Sucrets Complete"). You could try that.

But I'd suggest that you do all these things and try resting your voice a bit. The more you try to work it, the more likely you're going to prolong the vocal problem. Try talking less and definitely don't do any singing today or tomorrow.

Let your throat heal and avoid any irritations. Drink LOTS of water! And I know it sounds odd, but the old opera trick is to drink some olive oil (blech).

That which is good or great makes itself known, no matter how loud the clamor of denial. -- Theodore F. MacManus

I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell -- Christopher Walken
Old 10-26-2005, 04:44 PM

You can definately try medecine- good call, but cheap, painful, and REALLY effective is guuuuuurgling salt water in your mouth and in your nose-- I know I know gross- and yes it hurts.... but add some baking powder or is it baking soda, but add one of those and it doesn't hurt. I am 99% it is powder.
I did it after a month of sinus alergies and it worked WAY better than 3 prescriptions, lots of sleep, etc.... flonaise has nothing on putting salt water up your nose.

Taylor 314ce Koa LT
57' Strat Reissue
Kurzweil PC2X
Martin DM

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell