The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-05-2011, 08:44 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete on guitar View Post
You know, that is a really good point alohachris. When I'm done tweaking the very last bit of fine-tuning of the level of the backing vocals... the granularity of the reverb... when I've twice removed and re-instated that annoying - or maybe sublime - finger-squeak in the intro... THEN I listen to it in the car, and then I REALLY know what it sounds like. My car stereo is no great shakes, but it's the system I listen to the most, and I know what a good mix sounds like on it. If I've got a cluttered and muddy bass-end, the dashboard rattles, etc...

Beep
Pete
Agreed....I always know I've done well when it sounds good in the car too.
Not sure what manufacturer Honda is using for their car electronics now, but they sure are well engineered systems.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete on guitar View Post
You know, that is a really good point alohachris. When I'm done tweaking the very last bit of fine-tuning of the level of the backing vocals... the granularity of the reverb... when I've twice removed and re-instated that annoying - or maybe sublime - finger-squeak in the intro... THEN I listen to it in the car, and then I REALLY know what it sounds like. My car stereo is no great shakes, but it's the system I listen to the most, and I know what a good mix sounds like on it. If I've got a cluttered and muddy bass-end, the dashboard rattles, etc...

Beep
Pete
Me too! I listen to more music in my car and truck then I do at home and when I record something I always check it out in my car an truck because I figure that's where most people are going to be listening to it as well.

The JBL speakers I bought are powered Bi-Amp speakers, BTW.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:16 AM

I too have been looking for some decent monitors and the JBLs sound like a good value. Here's my dilemma.....I'd like to plug them into the back of my Mac which I use as my DAW but I only have USB and a 1/8" speaker jack. From what I can tell the JBLs use XLR balanced or 1/4". Any suggestions?
Old 04-09-2011, 08:58 AM

The mac output and the 1/4" sockets should both be line level so all you need is an adapter cable.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimeGuy View Post
I too have been looking for some decent monitors and the JBLs sound like a good value. Here's my dilemma.....I'd like to plug them into the back of my Mac which I use as my DAW but I only have USB and a 1/8" speaker jack. From what I can tell the JBLs use XLR balanced or 1/4". Any suggestions?
The JBL's also have a RCA input jack. You don't have an output for a RCA type cord?
Old 04-09-2011, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimeGuy View Post
When I first got the JBL's I had a presonus inspire interface with RCA unbalanced monitor outs. I used the RCA to 1/4" mono cables that I had always used with my old monitors. FWIW the JBL's still sounded nice to me using the unbalanced inputs. I'm thinking you could run these from the 1/8 stereo out jack you have. You really might want to ask jbl first tho.

I did recently upgrade to a focusrite interface with TRS balanced outs and that sounds just fine as well. It may be a tick louder now but difference may be in the two units themselves not the balanced vs unbalanced outs.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:18 AM

Unfortunately I don't have an RCA output on my Mac. Looks like I'll need an adapter.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:54 AM

Glad Im not the only guy that does a final test in the car. Lol. Of course ky problem os with cheap headphones.My stuff doesn't sound to good in those.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:34 AM

I use Alesis Monitor One Mk2 monitors with an Alesis RA150 Power Amp. I've been using these for as long as I can remember. Not the best out there, but I know them well, and I think knowing your speakers is more important than which ones you get. You need to learn whatever speakers you have in your studios.

2016 Fender American Standard Strat (Burly Slinky)
2015 Taylor 416e (Elixir PB Lights)
2010 Yamaha FG700S (whatever strings I have lying around)
'88 Yamaha FG405
'91 Washburn D-10N
Fishman Loudbox Mini
2001 Fender Standard Tele (Regular Slinky)
'94 Epiphone SG (Regular Slinky)
'90 Ibanez 540SLTD (Super Slinky)
Ibanez SR500 Bass (Ernie Ball flats)

Old 04-17-2011, 08:23 PM

Well I got my JBL LSP2325P speakers. Got my ZoomH4. Got my Oktava MK-012 mic modded for Neumann KM-84 tone and plan to get another for stereo recording. Got a couple of Shure SM-57's and a couple of SM-58's. Got a computer. Got a nice quiet room to record in and have started putting together baffles and go-bo's and sound deadening stuff.

And I've got a jillion or two solo guitar pieces that I've composed over the last twenty years.

What else do I need? I'm only interested in recording acoustic guitar, some percussion and some vocals.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenbird View Post
I don't want to spend much. I've always liked older Boston Acoustics for my home stereo and was thinking of getting some used BA bookshelf speakers for the little home studio I'm putting together. But I haven't made a move yet and I'm looking for recommendations. Thanks!
I use a set of old Klipsch Kg1's in oak. I still love the live, balanced and clear sound of them. They have served me well...
noledog
Old 04-18-2011, 06:24 AM

Quote:
What else do I need? I'm only interested in recording acoustic guitar, some percussion and some vocals.
Sounds to me like you're good to go for now. With new monitors it's not a bad idea to listen to as much pre-recorded cd's of similar style music that you intend to mix yourself. Training your ear to them, so to speak.

You can make some new music or keep tinkering. It's hard for me to do both at the some time. I suggest keeping your best energy focused on music and let your recording setup evolve naturally over time.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Well I got my JBL LSP2325P speakers. Got my ZoomH4. Got my Oktava MK-012 mic modded for Neumann KM-84 tone and plan to get another for stereo recording. Got a couple of Shure SM-57's and a couple of SM-58's. Got a computer. Got a nice quiet room to record in and have started putting together baffles and go-bo's and sound deadening stuff.

And I've got a jillion or two solo guitar pieces that I've composed over the last twenty years.

Experience and an understanding of recording levels. Of all the things I needed to learn the hardest but most useful was convincing myself that the recorded signal level _should_ be ridiculously low.

In analog recording, the standard level was called "0 dBVU" and every part of the chain was optimized to work with that level. It was possible to go over that level with transients, so "hitting the red" on the meter was a good thing, you were optimizing signal to noise without adding substantial distortion.

Digital recording is scaled to "0 dBFS" and FS means Full Scale or all bits on. This is an absolute limit in digital recording and it's roughly 18 dB hotter than the old 0 dBVU. Trying to hit 0 dBFS is equivalent to pinning the old VU meter deep in the red and keeping it there, and the result is not good. The analog electronics in the chain are being driven beyond their sweet spot, and any overs result in nasty digital clipping.

A much more accurate and pleasant recording results from aiming for an average (RMS) level down around -18 dBFS, with peaks never exceeding -6 dBFS or so. This will sound very quiet compared to a commercial recording, but that's fine. The overall level is set in the mastering stage, just before the final output is produced.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 04-18-2011, 08:26 PM

I may be the only left using Event 20/20s. Do they even still make them?

Just like the others, I also listen to the mix using my home audio (Denon and B&W speakers), Klipsch 2.1 computer monitors (the same model fitness is selling) and car stereo.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:15 AM

Well once again thanks guys! And Fran I had no idea about the recording levels thing. I haven't done any recording of myself since the days when I had a Teac 3340 4 track and a little Teac/Tascam board and home studio in my garage. Reel to Reel.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD