The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 04-17-2003, 02:58 PM

I hesitate to get full acrylic overlays because I'm concerned about the risk of infection. That's why I asked if the tips are as strong. I've heard that when you have full acrylic overlays you have to limit your hands' exposure to water, and that wouldn't work for me (I'm the dogwasher in our house,and usually the dishwasher too).
Old 04-18-2003, 07:39 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by anothersmith
I hesitate to get full acrylic overlays because I'm concerned about the risk of infection. That's why I asked if the tips are as strong. I've heard that when you have full acrylic overlays you have to limit your hands' exposure to water, and that wouldn't work for me (I'm the dogwasher in our house,and usually the dishwasher too).
I can only speak of my own experience,,, that said... I have had the full acrylics on 3 fingers of my right hand for a year.. I wash cars, I work in the yard, (I have to repair the old mower on a regular basis) I work with glues and wood in my shop, I work in the garden (read: dirt) and I wash dishes most days.. Oh yeah, I play (with) my guitar, and I ALWAYS wash and dry my hands before I touch them.. I have not had a single problem with my acrylic overlay nails.. BUT, I always had trouble with MY nails breaking, spliting, chipping, and wearing funny..
I have never had a fungus, an infection, or any reaction to my acrylic nails..... never..
I have had the person who does my nails experiment with different thickness, over time, until we found the one that works best for me.
As far as care. She told me that the #1 reason that the acrylic starts to lift off near the cuticle, was that the nail was drying out.
When it gets dry, the acrylic lifts, and there is a possibility that water COULD get under it. And IF you do not dry it out, and IF it stays there for an extended period, then it COULD cause a problem...
The answer: Don't let them dry out.. It has been that simple for me..
I put a cream on my LEFT hand finger tips (the calluses) and rub it into my right hand cuticles (the acrylics) at bedtime... That's it..
My nails do not dry out,,, they don't lift..... and they stay dry..
A side benefit is that my left hand calluses are smoother..(not deep grooves) and don't tear away like they used to...
I just wanted to give you my account of the full acrylics..... they have been a boon to me..
I had tried everything I could get my hands on, over many years..
From "Lee's Press-on Nails" to "Iron Nail Brush On".. nothing worked well for me... Then one day last year (or maybe 2 yrs ago), I was at my local guitar store, and got to visiting and listening to a nice man with an infectious little boy smile. He played fingerstyle wonderfully....And when I asked about his nails and how he took care of them, he replied, with his big grin,... "acrylic".. and showed me his hand.... I could not tell they were acrylic until he told me.. Well, I look forward to "running into" that fellow from time to time, and enjoying his company, and his music...
I got acrylics the next day.... and have never regretted it..
If you get them, and don't like them, they can take them off, no problem... The hard part for me was finding someone that did not use the high speed tools, (I wanted hand work) and someone that had the darker pink powder, (called "Ultra") so that the acrylics would look like my natural nail.... the color, and no shine....
I hope this helps.... And, since it's a small world, the fellow with the smile at the guitar shop....... It was Bob Womack.
Old 04-18-2003, 09:28 AM

Ditto what Offwigo said except I don't have a problem with the Dremel tool my manicurist uses. She's very skilled and it's faster.

M.

2020 PRS Silver Sky
2016 Suhr Classic Pro
2004 Petros Grand Concert
2001 Taylor 614CE LTD Tobaccoburst

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell