The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-11-2020, 06:19 PM

Default Musicality. The extra factor.

In the seventies, I had a friend, Mick, who first aroused my interest in playing guitar. Listening to him strum his repertoire of a few open chords on his Eko Ranger 6, singing folk songs on a hot summer night was magical. Over the years Ive had many guitars nearly all of which have had a far better tone than his modest Eko. Ive worked hard at many different styles, fingerpicked and bar chorded my way around the neck. Yet for all that I know I will never have that natural attractive musicality of my friend Mick.
My only consolation is that Ive seen it over the years in professional players too. Some guitarists are wonderful virtuoso players (often with good voices too) and yet Id never buy any of their music and 10 minutes is enough, while others with a few simple chords, and maybe not even a great voice will entrance me and I cant get enough. The magic of music I suppose. We cant always buy our way (as in better guitars) or practise enough to touch the Rainbow.
Still its been fun to try.
Old 08-11-2020, 06:44 PM

I know what you’re saying. Some people just have that extra “something”, don’t they? I refer to it as gifted as opposed to just talented. Just my way of looking at it.

Rb
Old 08-11-2020, 06:55 PM
Charter Member

NvG

That's a truth to play by…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-11-2020, 06:58 PM

Some of it might be -- for want of a better phrase -- stage presence. That magical ability to present something, no matter how simple. They feel at ease, and that puts you at ease listening.

Or something like that.

There are very few singer/players that I actually enjoy listening to. A lot I respect for their talents, but fewer that make me relax and enjoy.
Old 08-11-2020, 08:03 PM
Charter Member

It’s a very interesting topic!

Maybe this is an oversimplification, but I sense some people primarily “engineer it” and some people “feel it”. I believe you’ll find similar in lutherie as well, and quite a few other places to boot.

Of course it’s all a question of degree. Artistry need structure, functionality begs for grace.

I’d much rather have someone say of my musical effort “ that was beautiful” than “that was impressive”.

All kinds of people in the world. A good thing, that.
Old 08-11-2020, 08:07 PM

I’m sure most of us have seen so many guitar virtuosos that it’s nothing new. I know I have.

Technical ability can only take you so far.

Doc Watson is one of my favorites. He’s just as good when he’s just strumming open chords and singing songs like “Little orphan girl” as he is when playing “Black mountain rag”

Johnny Cash kept a good rhythm but was no guitar god. His vocal range was pretty limited. Still I’ve met very few people who don’t like him. He just had a voice that grabbed you by the collar and smacked you in the face.

Anybody with enough time on their hands can learn everything Beethoven ever wrote or all of Hendrix’s solos.

It takes a little something extra for me to want to listen to you. What that is I don’t know but I know it when I hear it.
Old 08-11-2020, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotveryGood View Post
In the seventies, I had a friend, Mick, who first aroused my interest in playing guitar. Listening to him strum his repertoire of a few open chords on his Eko Ranger 6, singing folk songs on a hot summer night was magical. Over the years Ive had many guitars nearly all of which have had a far better tone than his modest Eko. Ive worked hard at many different styles, fingerpicked and bar chorded my way around the neck. Yet for all that I know I will never have that natural attractive musicality of my friend Mick.
My only consolation is that Ive seen it over the years in professional players too. Some guitarists are wonderful virtuoso players (often with good voices too) and yet Id never buy any of their music and 10 minutes is enough, while others with a few simple chords, and maybe not even a great voice will entrance me and I cant get enough. The magic of music I suppose. We cant always buy our way (as in better guitars) or practise enough to touch the Rainbow.
Still its been fun to try.
Very nicely written.
Old 08-11-2020, 08:36 PM

Great post!

Musicality is a gift that IMO, occurs at birth. It's different than technical ability.

It's the magic that happens when practice and technical prowess meets musicality. It's that special gift that transforms notes into emotion that can be felt by others.

That often is an experience we never forget. I'm happy you found that early on.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 08-12-2020, 07:49 AM

It is hard for the audience to feel the emotion embodied in a song if the performer is unable to feel it. Technical playing skill isn't an adequate substitute. I tend to forget this from time to time!

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.
Old 08-12-2020, 09:03 AM
Charter Member

"Musicality: the extra factor"

Well it's arguably the only factor, really.
Old 08-12-2020, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

I have no talent though I work at what you the Op mentions. I've learned that when I'm musically lost I chuck it all and just make noise on the guitar. To me this means I noodle around without tying to play a song or anything structured. It doesn't take long until I find some sounds that intrigue me and, as a person does, I start trying to make some sense out of things. Next thing I know I have a key and I'm working on some type of structure. The point for doing this for me is to feel and experience those feelings I had when I first became fascinated with the guitar and could sit for months playing a chord or two just grooving on the sounds and the vibe. I gravitate to my personal rhythms also. This teaches my what I'm missing when I play music that feels stale. From this lesson I weed out the music, songs, styles or whatever I do that doesn't have "it". It's like getting back to being me, if you will. Usually it comes down to simplifying the music so I and the music can breath. Music is about the passion that is conveyed and that starts with the person playing it. So you must play what you have a passion for experiencing. Throw the rest away. It's the closest I can come to sounding like I have talent.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 08-12-2020, 09:45 AM

For me, this is a prime example of what we are talking about.

The audience are entranced by Jesse's simple rendition of a simple song.

Old 08-12-2020, 09:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotveryGood View Post
We cant always buy our way (as in better guitars) or practise enough to touch the Rainbow.
Ain't that the truth! Well said

1969 Martin D-35 (Brazilian Rosewood/Sitka Spruce)
2002 Taylor 355 12-string (Sapele/Sitka Spruce)
2014 Taylor 914ce (Indian Rosewood/Sitka Spruce)
2016 Breedlove Oregon Concert (Myrtlewood)
2018 Taylor GS Mini (Walnut/Spruce)
2021 Taylor 326ce (Urban Ash/Mahogany)
2021 Kevin Ryan Paradiso (The Tree/Sinker Redwood)
2022 KaAloha KTM-10RP Ukulele (Koa)
Old 08-12-2020, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

Sometimes people get so caught up in the technical aspects of a song that they totally lose the musicality and feeling of the music. My daughter is taking piano lessons. I sometimes cringe at the lack of feeling, although I know that will come as she develops more skill and confidence.

I sometimes stop her daily practice and say "Let's stop, pull this up on Youtube and listen for a bit."
Old 08-12-2020, 10:31 AM

A long time ago, I had a friend that I played along with. We played a couple of songs for which I had the sheet music for, so I knew the right chords. He played the same song with the wrong chords (not as a key change, but an Em instead of a D, and a D for the Em, for example). And he still sounded better than me. Some of us are just craftsmen, not artists.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion