The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-11-2020, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylcrisp View Post
this is a great course and ridiculously cheap. its well filmed and Stuart is in a class amongst the top guitar players the world over. He is very clear and well versed in how he presents the lesson plans.

https://www.udemy.com/share/101IP2/
I took this course. It was very well done.
Old 08-16-2020, 04:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeitgeist View Post
Hi guys

My name is Tim and this is actually my first message on this forum

I started playing guitar when I was 18 and I am now 30 years old. In recent years I have alternately played guitar / not, so my level has stuck at one point. During that period I did learn that I like the so-called 'fingerstyle' technique best to play.

Currently I play a lot of separate pieces. The nice thing is that I have a lot of variety, the disadvantage is that I don't really know what I'm playing (because I don't know the theory behind the practice) and that there is no structure whatsoever in my learning process.

My question to you is therefore: what is a good (preferably long term) course for fingerstyle guitarists who cover both theory and practice and use a good build-up over time?

Thanks for contributing ideas.
Greetings Tim

PS: sorry for my bad english, it is not my native language.
I feel like a skipping record......................

Check out Mark Hanson’s Contemporary Travis Picking then followed by Art of Solo Fingerstyle. Excellent foundational material especially if you go the route of self learner. Peghead Nation is another resource.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 08-17-2020, 11:08 AM

There are many acoustic guitarists that never knew Musical Theory prevent them from making good music (Lindsey Buckingham)

I'd suggest working the Musical Theory and Playing Finger Style in a backwards fashion. Learn the technique and understand the theory afterwards.

Take strumming arrangements and try to play them finger style.

Doesn't seem you are from the U.S.A. but take a common genre of music (Gospel) which is usually strummed in nature.

Turn the strummed arrangement into a finger style arrangement.

Might teach you some things.

I know it has for me.

MGF
Old 08-21-2020, 08:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Anthony View Post
Welcome to the forum. Check out sixstringfingerpicking.com
I just found this guy by accident and then remembered your post. He teaches songs I'd like to learn, e.g. folk, 60's/70's pop, etc. His You Tube videos are very good. I'm trying to decided whether to purchase lessons from him or just go straight to Music Notes, which handles all the tablature for the lessons.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write