The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-10-2020, 12:22 PM

I played and owned enough guitars 'til I recognized that I had gone from the information phase to the affirmation phase. I finally got to the point of "There is no better guitar than this for me" and stopped looking.

George
Old 08-10-2020, 01:39 PM

I found the one. We were happy for many years. But then I changed. It wasn’t the guitar’s fault...I just needed something different. Oh, and I met a new guitar...one that thrilled me the same way “the one” had done so many years ago. The new guitar and I are very happy. Yeah, it cost me some money to make the change. But it was time to move on.

I still have some warm feelings for “the one”....I guess you could say we are still friends, Though we never see each other any more.
Old 08-11-2020, 11:51 AM

Smile It’s a journey!

Guitar ownership can be liken to a journey. How many countries do you wish to visit? How many guitars do you wish to play and own. Some have visited 30 or more countries...some have owned 30 or more guitars. Some stay in expensive suites, some stay in economy suites. It is a personal choice....whatever brings you joy and happiness. It is your call (choice)! And many times a joint decision with your spouse.

Just feeling a bit philosophical.
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)

Last edited by Cool555; 08-11-2020 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 08-11-2020, 01:00 PM

I truly have the “one & only” one and at my age can unequivocally state that the 50 year long pursuit has ended. Actually, this “one” I’ve gotten twice. It’s a Yairi DY90 I’ve mentioned a number of times was willed to me by a wealthy friend who went to Japan in 1982 and commissioned it from Kazuo Yairi. It was the first of his large collection and the one he owned the longest. He kept it in mint condition but regularly played it. It was the stellar voice at a weekly jam session with around a dozen high end guitars. I was frequently asked what my selling price would be for it. The second time I got it was after it spent 7 months in the hands of a superhuman restoration expert whose work is the most astounding human craftsmanship I’ve ever encountered. He resurrected a car wreck crushed instrument that everybody else considered a total loss and didn’t replace any of its original wood. He charged me less than half of the $3,500 insurance compensation from the at fault driver’s insurance company. The amazing thing is I got the guitar back with its matured voice actually improved with setup geometry returned to perfect specs. It keeps company with a Martin custom shop HD28 that is the guitar I play away from home. The Martin would satisfy most people as the guitar that checks all the boxes but even it doesn’t compare to the Yairi which is reserved for songwriting and recording.
Old 08-11-2020, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Why would you be amused at others opinions? It's not like we're talking about flying saucers,

No affront taken at all though. Some people (like me) like a range of tone, not just one.

I would still like to hear what others love though. I might discover something new to gas over.
That’s pretty simple, the title of the thread is “what have you guys done after you’ve found the one?”

The funny part occurs when post after post denies the possibility of ever finding it. I find that amusing for what seems like obvious reasons.

I certainly never implied there was anything wrong with people that want multiple acoustic guitars. I’m in that camp myself, regarding electrics, so I get it.

For some reason though, there are some that just come right out and say finding that “one” is a myth, or impossible, as if the premise of the thread is nonsense. Which is pretty obvious by ignoring the title, BTW. A corollary might be if I posted that anyone who hasn’t found the “one” is fooling themselves with the need for more than one guitar. That would be wrong in many ways.

I hope that helps.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 08-11-2020, 01:34 PM

The One (acoustic) was purchased in 1996. It suits me. I am sure that if I decided to start looking for a different One I might find it, but I have no interest in doing so. I play the One. That is all.

1984 Carvin LB-40 bass
1986 Carvin DC-125 two humbucker
1996 Taylor 412
La Patrie Concert
2012 American Standard Telecaster
1981 Carvin DC 100
Harley Benton LP JR DC
Bushman Delta Frost & Suzuki harmonicas
Artley flute
Six-plus decade old vocal apparatus
Old 08-11-2020, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alnico5 View Post
The One (acoustic) was purchased in 1996. It suits me. I am sure that if I decided to start looking for a different One I might find it, but I have no interest in doing so. I play the One. That is all.
That's why it's "the one", it removes interest in any other.

Sadly we share the sickness with electrics!
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 08-11-2020, 03:08 PM
Charter Member

Well obviously,,,,, after you find "the one" the next thing is learn to play

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 08-11-2020, 04:10 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
That’s pretty simple, the title of the thread is “what have you guys done after you’ve found the one?”

The funny part occurs when post after post denies the possibility of ever finding it. I find that amusing for what seems like obvious reasons.

I certainly never implied there was anything wrong with people that want multiple acoustic guitars. I’m in that camp myself, regarding electrics, so I get it.

For some reason though, there are some that just come right out and say finding that “one” is a myth, or impossible, as if the premise of the thread is nonsense. Which is pretty obvious by ignoring the title, BTW. A corollary might be if I posted that anyone who hasn’t found the “one” is fooling themselves with the need for more than one guitar. That would be wrong in many ways.

I hope that helps.
Oh ok, thanks for the clarification. I guess I did go off-topic.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 08-11-2020, 04:53 PM

You know what they say about the number one. I began looking for a "bookmark" so it wouldn't be lonely.

Seriously, my "the one" is my Larrivee OM-03R and for a time I was tempting by the OM-03MT. Conversely, my D-16GT seems to want another similarly appointed rosewood Martin dread like the MMV.
Old 08-11-2020, 05:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
I got my "The One" back in 1983. It's my Martin D-35.
Yes other guitars have come and gone and I do own several other guitars currently. However these other guitars have a purpose and are for certain styles and tunings. My D-35 is still my "one" for my every day playing preference.
That would have been true for my D-35 that I had since new from Sep 1969. However, after two set ups in 30 years that shaved the bridge and saddle to keep the action low, it had no break angle left. In 2019 I bought and sold several guitars trying to replace it, and the winner was an Eastman OM.
Old 08-11-2020, 09:39 PM
Eric Skye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamenramen View Post
Hi, I am interested in knowing what you guys said you would do before you found the one vs what you guys have actually done after finding it
I got my Santa Cruz 00 just about ten years ago now. Since then I've used it on my last five albums, all my travel.. I have a second guitar but it's just a copy of the same guitar as a backup. Having found the one, I've just moved on to not thinking about other guitars. I've got other gear things like microphones, cameras.. But I still feel 100% content for all the styles of music I'm interested in.
Old 08-11-2020, 11:59 PM
Charter Member

(Too many responses to read every one, so forgive if this is redundant.) As time goes by you may find you have interest in various playing styles, musical genres and just different situations. The "one" perfect for playing out may not be the "one" perfect for sitting on the couch at night. Or the "one" for fingerstyle may not be the "one" for flatpicking, etc. AND, your ear and/or tastes may change. So to answer your question....After you find "THE ONE" you look for the next "ONE"! That's part of the fun, enjoy!
Old 08-12-2020, 12:05 AM

I just keep playing it and hope misfortune does not befall it.
Old 08-12-2020, 12:29 AM

Played it.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion