The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-10-2020, 03:42 AM

I"ll probably do an X20 vs Sable video whenever my X20 gets done. I promise I won't say "tin can" once! Will be interesting to have an unbiased comparison of them against a Martin.
Old 08-10-2020, 06:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinaz View Post

Captain....the wall is down ! I now have a bathroom in my guitar room.
That's a convenience I hadn't considered.
Old 08-10-2020, 06:49 AM

Congrats on a great guitar, mine gets a lot of play currently and goes on most every trip, whether RV or airplane, fantastic instruments. It took me a while to like the looks, but I am finally there, I bought it for the playability and sound and those qualities make it look better everyday. Enjoy.
Old 08-10-2020, 05:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by byudzai View Post
I"ll probably do an X20 vs Sable video whenever my X20 gets done. I promise I won't say "tin can" once! Will be interesting to have an unbiased comparison of them against a Martin.
Hmm. I searched for this, but couldn't find anything to corroborate.

Do you have another X20 on the way?

Love to hear more about this, and I promise not to mention tin cans. Not even once.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 08-10-2020, 09:10 PM
Charter Member

I'm curious too of what is being done to the tin can? oops...I mean X20.
Old 08-11-2020, 01:43 AM

yah long time in waiting. found this veneer and lost my mind. love my X30 but i want a nimbler model... and an amber-tone version. Emeralds are just such unbeatable overall-design guitars and it's been bugging me that I sold the X20 I got with my X30 way back when.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=576075

I'm gonna do an X20 vs X30 vid and prob a Sable Takes On Them All vid.
Old 08-11-2020, 06:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
yah long time in waiting. found this veneer and lost my mind. love my X30 but i want a nimbler model... and an amber-tone version. Emeralds are just such unbeatable overall-design guitars and it's been bugging me that I sold the X20 I got with my X30 way back when.

Aah, now I remember the monkey pod! Presumably this is going to be built on the new platform?
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 08-11-2020, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Emeralds are just such unbeatable overall-design guitars and it's been bugging me that I sold the X20 I got with my X30 way back when....

I think this about nails it with Emerald. The Sable might be the flavour of the month (I'll take 2 scoops of nutty Polecastro please), but nothing beats Emerald from a design perspective. Even the revisions to the X20 since it made no sense to have a guitar with a heel that was designed "with the player in mind, not tradition".

And, there also seems to be an aversion to "bright", especially wood side of this forum. Personally "bright" can be a really nice thing if you are a fingerstyle player. I look forward to your NGD. Oh, the first time I heard of monkey pod it was John at Shoreline demonstrating a guitar with that tonewood for back and sides- incidentally a wonderful sounding tonewood!
Old 08-11-2020, 08:28 AM
Charter Member

Design is obviously important, but it's the tone that makes me pull the wallet out. Emerald has both and that does make them pretty special.

Last edited by jdinco; 08-11-2020 at 09:30 AM.
Old 08-11-2020, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Design is obviously important, but it's the tone that makes me pull the wallet out.
Yeah, hard to disagree with that. All factors are certainly important regarding guitar design but tone is a little more important than everything else.
Old 08-11-2020, 10:52 AM

Quote:

That's a public service event I look forward to.
Old 08-11-2020, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Design is obviously important, but it's the tone that makes me pull the wallet out. Emerald has both and that does make them pretty special.
Well, I preferred the tone of the Sable to the tone of the X20 by a long shot. And the neck shape. But yes, I really loved the contours and design of the Emerald more. A very beautiful guitar.
Old 08-11-2020, 02:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
Well, I preferred the tone of the Sable to the tone of the X20 by a long shot. And the neck shape. But yes, I really loved the contours and design of the Emerald more. A very beautiful guitar.
I agree completely David, the video will be interesting, but really would mean nothing to me, the Sable has just been getting better and better the more I play it, strings settling in I guess. The X20 is truly a work of art.
Old 08-11-2020, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
Yeah, hard to disagree with that. All factors are certainly important regarding guitar design but tone is a little more important than everything else.
I know I'm a heathen, and a minority, but for the sake of a little tongue-in-cheek here's my dissenting opinion:

I think this depends on the purpose. For playing at a farmers market, give me the well-designed guitar that just sounds okay ANY day. No one cares about the guitar's inherent tone, they just want you to play in time and sing well, and you can modify it through your amp. I want something easy, comfortable, tunes well, good tuner placement, good neck, good place to hook a capo, sweat and humidity proof, etc etc.

For sitting at home writing songs I don't care about tone either. I write almost everything on a Chinese knock-off at my wife's apartment.

I LIKE nice-sounding guitars, but I just think tone is irrelevant compared to musicianship, voice, etc.

Of course if we're talking about pianos I suddenly change 180 degrees.
Old 08-11-2020, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Of course if we're talking about pianos I suddenly change 180 degrees.
I gotta have it sound rich and full and deep... weighted keyboard new Privias work well enough... one of my Macs ... Focusrite as interface and a few different headphones... Can't swing real expensive studio monitors yet.. have old Adams and new M-Audios... Favorite actual real piano is the bigger Ravenscroft and kinda like the 1927 player Steinway Grand (one of 2 made) at the Wrigley Mansion in Phoenix.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber