The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-07-2020, 11:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inyo View Post
Good to know.
Good catch. You have an editor's eye.

Last edited by rllink; 08-07-2020 at 11:50 AM.
Old 08-07-2020, 12:36 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, I'm old enough to remember interest on savings accounts last century, and even some checking accounts at a lesser rate. Today, short of 18-month T-bills and the like, any interest compiled in US banks is nearly negligible.

The trick I find is to scrutinize what a bank does regarding minimum balances, services, ATM fees, credit card fees, etc., etc. Sometimes a minimum balance in one account or another is necessary, and/or putting your income on automatic deposit. I ask questions, and I can play along with those rules to avoid insidious "service fees.". But that's as far as it goes for me. Any bank that charges money to hold/use/disperse my money, or issue a credit/debit card, will instantly become my ex-bank.
Old 08-07-2020, 01:00 PM
Charter Member

All banks charge for their services. They're not nonprofits. Some of the fees might be out in the open; others are embedded within the rates they pay, but they're not free.
Old 08-07-2020, 02:39 PM

When I was a kid bank rates were so stable they would post the interest rate on the building and it didn't change over years. 3 to 6% as it recall...it was a very long time ago.

If your investments earning below inflation you need to talk with your financial advisor.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 08-07-2020, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
All banks charge for their services. They're not nonprofits. Some of the fees might be out in the open; others are embedded within the rates they pay, but they're not free.
Not exactly. We are getting 1.25% in a money market fund regardless of what the Bank gets out of the fund, if anything. I don’t consider that a “fee” per say because the 1.25% is what they say they are giving us and they are. You could call it semantics. I don’t care what they make as long as we get ours as promised and nothing comes out of it and it doesn’t. We get the 1.25% period. That’s about as good short term as there is out there today. For the sake of honesty, we do have another account at that bank and have to maintain a certain balance, but so what, we had it anyway. That’s where they get their fees. They would get them, fund or no fund.
Annuities work the same way. If the insurance company guarantees you 5%, you get 5%. The money they may or may not make is above and beyond. The difference is you have to outlive the real value of the annuity as they dole it out over the years when you annuitize. They’re betting you won’t and the left over principle is much much less. That’s what your heirs will get. We have a six figure annuity that pays us $750/ month. I need to live to age 85 to get all my money they promised. I’m bettin on me.
The money market thing is only guaranteed for a year. After that, you have the option to stay in it or move out if the deal isn’t as good moving forward.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by rokdog49; 08-07-2020 at 03:00 PM.
Old 08-07-2020, 02:51 PM

Prime rate was 10% and CD's were commonly paying that rate or eve 15%, in late 70's. Old folks were happy enough and retired thinking it would last forever. When the rates started coming down a lot of shuffling was necessary. Currently most accounts in banks or money markets pay hardly anything, ), .02% or so. So one has to make a move to "old lady stocks" (Or other equities) but Jack be nimble cause that could change quickly too.

There's a saying, Bulls make money, Bears make money------Pigs get slaughtered.

Fog

Last edited by Kerbie; 08-07-2020 at 03:48 PM.
Old 08-07-2020, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogducker View Post
Prime rate was 10% and CD's were commonly paying that rate or eve 15%, in late 70's. Old folks were happy enough and retired thinking it would last forever. When the rates started coming down a lot of shuffling was necessary. Currently most accounts in banks or money markets pay hardly anything, ), .02% or so. So one has to make a move to "old lady stocks" (Or other equities) but Jack be nimble cause that could change quickly too.

Fog
Inflation was rampant and that was an awful time. The economy was in the dumpster. I lost my job and it took years to recover from that mess.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by Kerbie; 08-07-2020 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Edited quote
Old 08-07-2020, 03:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The point I was making above is that some banks will charge customers monthly for going below a minimum balance, or assess "service fees," ATM transaction fees, instant credit score reporting fees, mailed paper statement fees, etc., etc. They're all creative and different.

True, I don't get the same interest rates I did in decades past (darn shame now that it might actually make a difference...LOL), but my balance will not diminish unless I make a withdrawal. Thus, since I pay no fees, my banking is free. Not bad actually, given that from home: I can pay bills (some automatically, some not - my choice), transfer between accounts and pay others directly. Income streams and tax returns appear there like magic, debit card and credit cards are free and I earn air miles (Mrs. Tinnitus earns hotel points, which we've used for years), ATM if free, and I can deposit checks with a snapshot from my phone.

So again, any bank that charges fees for the privilege of holding/using my money is quickly no longer my bank. But, just like a piggy bank, the banks I use are free. YMMV.

Last edited by tinnitus; 08-07-2020 at 05:53 PM.
Old 08-07-2020, 03:18 PM

As a point of interest our first house was bought in fall 1985. The best we could do with a sub-20% down payment (but very solid income) was 11.5% on an adjustable mortgage that could have indexed up to 15%. We saved aggressively and paid extra every month. With raises and work bonuses, it was paid off in about six years before the adjustments could rise and really hurt us. ( I don't recall the rate getting over ~12%) Last I heard, fixed mortgages are running right around 3½% for a 30 year term and even less for shorter 15 years terms.

Our credit union pays around 0.6% on savings and checking, but charges no fees with a $100 minimum balance. We gave up on mega-banks years ago in favor of local and regional credit unions. Better service and more direct local contact, not some 800 number manned in Sri Lanka.
Old 08-07-2020, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Obviously they're a for profit business but why the fees other than blatant greed? When they're holding my money they pay me the one percent and then loan it to others at 2 to 3 percent or more. That or invest it at a 5 to 8 percent return for themselves Seems like that's plenty of profit for them as far as i'm concerned when one considers the scale of volume.
Old 08-07-2020, 05:51 PM

Sorry to say but interest rates are at an all-time low here in Australia too.

I received an inheritance last week and considered investing some of it long term but rates are so low - 1% - I'll just leave it in my bank account at 0.25%.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird

Last edited by Brucebubs; 08-07-2020 at 06:12 PM.
Old 08-07-2020, 05:56 PM
Musical minimalist

Not too far off what is happening here.

Regarding "credit checks" - I joined a local (large and old) credit union back in the fall. Put a really nice chunk of money into a CD and more in a savings. They ran a credit check and it hurt my credit score for a few months.

Tell me how that makes sense??

Savings, CD and IRA interest has been dropping for several years and is pretty bottomed out. But the CEO's still get their multi million severance bonus when they are let go.

Old 08-07-2020, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619TF View Post
Obviously they're a for profit business but why the fees other than blatant greed? When they're holding my money they pay me the one percent and then loan it to others at 2 to 3 percent or more. That or invest it at a 5 to 8 percent return for themselves Seems like that's plenty of profit for them as far as i'm concerned when one considers the scale of volume.
You seem to have ignored the overhead and cost of doing business.
I’m not here to defend the banks, but when they loan somebody money and charge them let’s say 3%, they aren’t netting 3% profit. Where exactly do banks invest money at 5 to 8% returns? Show me that one.
The credit card companies are the folks you should be upset about.
You borrow from them at exorbitant rates pay a fortune in interest.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 08-07-2020, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
The credit card companies are the folks you should be upset about.
You borrow from them at exorbitant rates pay a fortune in interest.
I pay my credit card debt in full each month and pay 0% interest - that exorbitant rate really only kicks in on the balance outstanding when the card holder makes a 'minimum monthly payment'.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 08-07-2020, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
I pay my credit card debt in full each month and pay 0% interest - that exorbitant rate really only kicks in on the balance outstanding when the card holder makes a 'minimum monthly payment'.
Us too. We are in a very small minority my friend...very small.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic