The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-11-2020, 04:13 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post

Pinless is appealing - but I have to say that the pin bridge on my X20s is the easiest I've ever had to change strings on. That's because I can stick my hand through the offset soundhole and be sure the string is seated properly for every string as I install them. No more popping pins
Im not a fan of pinless, because i generally would put all the strings in the bridge and slowly bring them all up to tension together. More habit than anything else. I also think pins look good, as opposed to holes.

What i would like however is feeding the strings in from the rear, with a string through top. The sound hole is big enough to do this, you could reach in and feed the strings through meaning only a very small hole would be required!

Ive actually made a little insert with champhered edges to try this on one of my woody acoustics just to try, as well as seeing how it will effect the tone!
Old 08-11-2020, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgavy View Post
Im not a fan of pinless, because i generally would put all the strings in the bridge and slowly bring them all up to tension together. More habit than anything else. I also think pins look good, as opposed to holes.

What i would like however is feeding the strings in from the rear, with a string through top. The sound hole is big enough to do this, you could reach in and feed the strings through meaning only a very small hole would be required!

Ive actually made a little insert with champhered edges to try this on one of my woody acoustics just to try, as well as seeing how it will effect the tone!
Speaking as a Lowden owner, I love how Lowden does it. It’s a pinless bridge that’s all upside IME.
Old 08-11-2020, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esimms86 View Post
Speaking as a Lowden owner, I love how Lowden does it. It’s a pinless bridge that’s all upside IME.
That design puts more tension on the bridge glue joint. Clearly it works for Lowden because these are well built guitars. And to be fair, one would be crazy to neglect the weather conditions around such an expensive guitar to a point where the bridge starts to come loose.

I once had the "pleasure" of witnessing a bridge snap off just after I put the guitar away in its stand. I can tell you it wasn't a pretty sight (and sound). And had the guitar still been in my hands I could have sustained serious injury.

Emerald makes bridges like those but they are a custom option for their nylon string guitars. Maybe these can be put on a steel string as well?
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089
Old 08-11-2020, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainmaster View Post
Emerald makes bridges like those but they are a custom option for their nylon string guitars. Maybe these can be put on a steel string as well?
My thoughts exactly. A CF bridge is there to stay.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber