The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-04-2020, 06:30 AM

Default Harmonica accompaniment

About the only good thing musically that has come out of COVID for me is noodling with a harmonic while playing. Adds some texture to some songs.

I’m at the “really bad” stage of learning.

Looking for tips and tricks. Who’s dong it and what can you offer up to a beginner?
Old 08-04-2020, 09:17 AM
Charter Member

I remain a "basic" player even after about 9 years-

The first thing is to learn how to blow individual notes then bending.

Just like guitar, practicing scales over and over will help
Old 08-06-2020, 05:26 AM

My playing partner leew is an excellent harp player.
It’s a huge factor in our sound and our appeal. We use it as much as we can.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 08-06-2020, 08:21 PM

Heart of Gold by Neil Young is a good starter harp song.

Also Knocking On Heaven's Door by Dylan.
Old 08-06-2020, 08:53 PM

This is not quite a beginner, but I gotta post it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoauBe465qQ
Old 08-07-2020, 12:29 AM

Individual notes, bending and some decent scale knowledge are the keys to decent harmonica playing as noted above. Most very good players will tell you Dylan was an awful harmonica player because he was so sloppy. I prefer to think he "played with feeling" though.
Old 08-08-2020, 12:09 PM

Dylan isn’t particularly good and neither is Neil Young but they get the job done.
This guy on the other hand...

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 08-09-2020, 09:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
My playing partner leew is an excellent harp player.
It’s a huge factor in our sound and our appeal. We use it as much as we can.
Thanks Jamie! It's my favorite instrument to play as it seems to come naturally to me so it's just pure fun. I would love to have the luxury to be just the 'harp player' in a larger band rather than a multi instrumentalist in our duo. I enjoy that a great deal too, but it gets a bit confusing at times ('what do I play on this one again?' )

I've likely frustrated many people over the years who've asked me how to learn. I honestly have no idea what to tell them other than 'learn how to play individual notes, find a tune you like and learn it, choose people whose style you like and learn to play what they do.' Now there's lots of instructional videos available online. Finally, the style you hear above with Blues Traveler is technically amazing but wears me out to listen to as it's not my style. Find your own style and enjoy that rather than trying to be just like someone else. If you're playing blues, the one exception is to copy Little Walter's amplified tone and Sonny Boy Williamson II (Rice Miller) in terms of tone played straight into a vocal mic.

Other than 'just play' I can't add much as there is limited evidence that I know what I'm doing most of the time!
Old 08-09-2020, 11:46 AM

[QUOTE=rokdog49;6462500]Dylan isn’t particularly good and neither is Neil Young but they get the job done.
This guy on the other hand...

Don’t like Blues Traveller. Often, the emphasis is on lots of notes, rather than musicality. I’m sure it the way he is playing is technically difficult, but....

Give me some Charlie Musselwhite, please.
Old 08-09-2020, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyhu View Post
Give me some Charlie Musselwhite, please.
Thank you and Amen!
Old 08-09-2020, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leew3 View Post
Thanks Jamie! It's my favorite instrument to play as it seems to come naturally to me so it's just pure fun. I would love to have the luxury to be just the 'harp player' in a larger band rather than a multi instrumentalist in our duo. I enjoy that a great deal too, but it gets a bit confusing at times ('what do I play on this one again?' )

I've likely frustrated many people over the years who've asked me how to learn. I honestly have no idea what to tell them other than 'learn how to play individual notes, find a tune you like and learn it, choose people whose style you like and learn to play what they do.' Now there's lots of instructional videos available online. Finally, the style you hear above with Blues Traveler is technically amazing but wears me out to listen to as it's not my style. Find your own style and enjoy that rather than trying to be just like someone else. If you're playing blues, the one exception is to copy Little Walter's amplified tone and Sonny Boy Williamson II (Rice Miller) in terms of tone played straight into a vocal mic.

Other than 'just play' I can't add much as there is limited evidence that I know what I'm doing most of the time!
Which in my estimation is the same thing that applies to any instrument. When you play and what comes out is good but inexplicable, you have reached your own “nirvana”.
Improvisation, I think it’s called, or just playing and see what comes out. Either way, it’s musical self-expression.
BTW...13 days and counting.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 08-09-2020, 06:17 PM
Charter Member

In 1989 recall buying a harmonica book from the "Klutz" series-that gave me kind of a start...a cheapo harp was included.

It's way out of print now although a few used ones are around...

"Country and Blues Harmonica for the Musically Hopeless (Klutz)"

One thing:I have tried all the Hohners and have found the Lee Oscar harps to be easier to play and much longer lasting...
Old 08-10-2020, 10:12 AM
Charter Member

+1 for Lee Oskar harps. they're comparable to a Hohner Special 20 but I find them to be tighter so more efficient.

I"m gradually switching over the Seidel harps but they're twice as expensive so likely not a good choice if you're beginning. After playing for 50 years or so you get a better idea what you like (and hopefully have enough income to buy what you want!)
Old 08-13-2020, 03:32 PM
Charter Member

Find music (CD, cloud, online, etc.) that's actually in tune with your harps, then blow (and suck) along. Tragically, my Lynyrd Skynyrd Endangered Species (acoustic) CD was a quarter note off, made me weep.

But I had some backing track CDs for blues guitar practice, just the rhythm section - bass and drums typically plodding over I, IV, V patterns - perfect. Stuff like that is nice and sparse so your harmonica doesn't get lost in overproduced full-band tunes with keyboards, horns, vocal harmonies, other harps, etc.

Neil Young is fine to emulate. Petty's Mary Jane's Last Dance. Some James Cotton, Paul Butterfield, Sonny Terry, Charlie Musselwhite, Little Walter, etc., etc.

And maybe after a week or two of practice, this...

Last edited by tinnitus; 08-13-2020 at 03:38 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic