The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-22-2020, 11:06 AM

Default What a difference a silhouette makes

Had a chance to really go from guitar to guitar today, haven't taken the time recently to really appreciate them all. And I was struck by exactly how different each guitar sounds and responds to different styles of play. If you were to move from smallest to largest, my Rainsong Parlor sounds very focused and present in the midrange, the OM sounds very balanced, the WS is big and bassy, and the Jumbo is just full-range.

It's also funny to discover what I was doing with an instrument the last time I had it in my hands. The Jumbo was in an open-C# tuning and the WS was in a modified open-D that take advantage of their extended low-end capabilities. And the parlor practically lives with a capo on the neck somewhere.

The OM remains my favorite of the four, just too comfortable to play and too adaptable compared to the others. But I think the Jumbo is my new second favorite, not only because it's gorgeous to look at, but because it has surprised me every time I've picked it up. Comfortable despite it's size, warm and gentle when needed, big and bold when the inspiration hits.

I wish I had more time to set down and concentrate on these things in the crazy times we're in. There are cobwebs in the back corners of my brain where guitar stuff should have been.
Old 07-22-2020, 12:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiG50 View Post
Had a chance to really go from guitar to guitar today, haven't taken the time recently to really appreciate them all. And I was struck by exactly how different each guitar sounds and responds to different styles of play. If you were to move from smallest to largest, my Rainsong Parlor sounds very focused and present in the midrange, the OM sounds very balanced, the WS is big and bassy, and the Jumbo is just full-range.

It's also funny to discover what I was doing with an instrument the last time I had it in my hands. The Jumbo was in an open-C# tuning and the WS was in a modified open-D that take advantage of their extended low-end capabilities. And the parlor practically lives with a capo on the neck somewhere.

The OM remains my favorite of the four, just too comfortable to play and too adaptable compared to the others. But I think the Jumbo is my new second favorite, not only because it's gorgeous to look at, but because it has surprised me every time I've picked it up. Comfortable despite it's size, warm and gentle when needed, big and bold when the inspiration hits.

I wish I had more time to set down and concentrate on these things in the crazy times we're in. There are cobwebs in the back corners of my brain where guitar stuff should have been.
Are these all in the same series? I love my H-OM. I'd like to add something with more "oomph" and am considering, among others, a Vintage WS. Hoping that would have similar volume to a dread, but an easier and more comfortable body to hold. I am 5' 5" tall (maybe closer to 5' 4" these days) and I am not looking for a Jumbo. I've been entertaining an Emerald X30 because the bevels supposedly make it feel much smaller.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 07-22-2020, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
Are these all in the same series? I love my H-OM. I'd like to add something with more "oomph" and am considering, among others, a Vintage WS. Hoping that would have similar volume to a dread, but an easier and more comfortable body to hold. I am 5' 5" tall (maybe closer to 5' 4" these days) and I am not looking for a Jumbo. I've been entertaining an Emerald X30 because the bevels supposedly make it feel much smaller.
The RS Jumbo is surprisingly comfortable to hold- for at least 10 minutes anyway. I played a used one in GC once with the N1 neck. Without touching the X30 I would guess the RS could ever compare in comfort to the Emerald. Here is a new slogan for Emerald....

"You don't hold an Emerald, you hug one."
Old 07-22-2020, 03:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
The RS Jumbo is surprisingly comfortable to hold- for at least 10 minutes anyway. I played a used one in GC once with the N1 neck. Without touching the X30 I would guess the RS could ever compare in comfort to the Emerald. Here is a new slogan for Emerald....

"You don't hold an Emerald, you hug one."
Great slogan! I played an X20, and I have no meat on my ribs, which is exactly where the top portion hit me. If it had a bevel, I'd have been happy to keep it. Thinking the X30 would be cozy. :-)

2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
Old 07-22-2020, 03:50 PM

The models I own are across a few series. The OM is an original Shorty, the WS and Parlor are Concert Hybrid, and the Jumbo is a Nashville model. That said, the first three are very similar in construction, with the Concert top and hybrid back and sides. The Nashville is in a league of his own!

The WS is definitely a cannon. I can't say whether it would work for you or not, but it's a large-sounding guitar. I saw they also recently made a Nashville (sunburst spruce) WS that was VERY pretty.
Old 07-22-2020, 05:33 PM

I've had a WS-1000 since 2001. It has been to many bluegrass jams and certainly holds its own volume-wise against dreadnoughts. I have never felt the need for anything else. In the living room, I sometimes have to hold back a bit. Yup, it's loud.

I also have an X30. While the front arm bevel (and the other contours) make it pretty comfortable, it is still a very thick guitar. And a cannon..... think a .357 Magnum versus .38 special.
Old 07-22-2020, 07:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The models I own are across a few series. The OM is an original Shorty, the WS and Parlor are Concert Hybrid, and the Jumbo is a Nashville model. That said, the first three are very similar in construction, with the Concert top and hybrid back and sides. The Nashville is in a league of his own!

The WS is definitely a cannon. I can't say whether it would work for you or not, but it's a large-sounding guitar. I saw they also recently made a Nashville (sunburst spruce) WS that was VERY pretty.
I have a Black Ice WS, and for some reason, it doesn't sound much louder (at least from the player's perspective) as my H-OM, nor does it have a sweet a tone. I see the Nashville series, but only see a Jumbo, not a WS, including on their website. If you have a web link for that, I'd appreciate it. The Vintage series has the spruce veneer, so looks more traditional, and supposedly has the warmth that the H series has. Thanks for the reply!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
I've had a WS-1000 since 2001. It has been to many bluegrass jams and certainly holds its own volume-wise against dreadnoughts. I have never felt the need for anything else. In the living room, I sometimes have to hold back a bit. Yup, it's loud.

I also have an X30. While the front arm bevel (and the other contours) make it pretty comfortable, it is still a very thick guitar. And a cannon..... think a .357 Magnum versus .38 special.
The longer I go between my choices, the more I want to trust that in an X30 I won't experience the wolf syndrome exposed in my other thread, and with the bevels, I think it would be more comfortable to play than the others, even being as thick as it is. I like the idea of a cannon, and am mostly a strummer, which is where the wolf is reported to be less present or offensive. Thanks very much!

2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
Old 07-23-2020, 09:11 AM

The X30 is as comfortable as such a big guitar can be. I have (or had) other jumbo-sized guitars with 17" lower bouts, and the X30 beats them for comfort. My X30 has a powerful low end, but I have not noticed any major wolf tones. (Neither have I gone deliberately looking for trouble). These days with right shoulder issues my play is 100% seated and using a strap, with the guitar body centered on mine. The X30 is basically the only guitar that I *can* comfortably put on my right knee while playing.

I have considered putting heavy EJ-18 strings on it and tuning it down to C-c like a pseudo-baritone. That is where the strong bass and overall internal volume would really shine, and might even be below the wolf tones reported. Maybe I should do that.... inquiring minds want to know.

Quote:
I have a Black Ice WS, and for some reason, it doesn't sound much louder (at least from the player's perspective) as my H-OM, nor does it have a sweet a tone.
I'm not surprised about the loudness. That is mostly determined by the body size and volume. The tone is definitely different between the various build compositions - weave, unidirectional, hybrid, etc. The classic weave is the most crystalline or piano-like, while the hybrid and unidirectional tops are routinely noted as being warmer and mellower - more wood-like.
Old 07-23-2020, 10:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
The X30 is as comfortable as such a big guitar can be. I have (or had) other jumbo-sized guitars with 17" lower bouts, and the X30 beats them for comfort. My X30 has a powerful low end, but I have not noticed any major wolf tones. (Neither have I gone deliberately looking for trouble). These days with right shoulder issues my play is 100% seated and using a strap, with the guitar body centered on mine. The X30 is basically the only guitar that I *can* comfortably put on my right knee while playing.

I have considered putting heavy EJ-18 strings on it and tuning it down to C-c like a pseudo-baritone. That is where the strong bass and overall internal volume would really shine, and might even be below the wolf tones reported. Maybe I should do that.... inquiring minds want to know.

I'm not surprised about the loudness. That is mostly determined by the body size and volume. The tone is definitely different between the various build compositions - weave, unidirectional, hybrid, etc. The classic weave is the most crystalline or piano-like, while the hybrid and unidirectional tops are routinely noted as being warmer and mellower - more wood-like.
Do you find the low end overpowers the guitar? The videos I have heard seem to accentuate the low end. For example, I saw Tony Polecastro demo the X30, and he did do any high note runs or play any chord voicings higher on the neck in the upper strings. The impression I get is that the demonstrators are going out of their way to prove the depth of the low end, as if to say "this CF guitar doesn't have the high, crystalline sound that other CF guitars have." I'm hoping the X30 is well-balanced, not just some boomy, bassy guitar. Does that make sense? Your thoughts either way, would be very helpful.

2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
Old 07-23-2020, 10:56 AM

Quote:
I see the Nashville series, but only see a Jumbo, not a WS, including on their website. If you have a web link for that, I'd appreciate it. The Vintage series has the spruce veneer, so looks more traditional, and supposedly has the warmth that the H series has. Thanks for the reply!
It's still currently available, as of this posting:

https://www.laguitarsales.com/index....ws1000nsx.html
Old 07-23-2020, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
It's still currently available, as of this posting:

https://www.laguitarsales.com/index....ws1000nsx.html
That's beautiful! I wonder if that's an LA Guitar Sales exclusive. Thanks for the link!

2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
Old 07-23-2020, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Do you find the low end overpowers the guitar? The videos I have heard seem to accentuate the low end. For example, I saw Tony Polecastro demo the X30, and he did do any high note runs or play any chord voicings higher on the neck in the upper strings. The impression I get is that the demonstrators are going out of their way to prove the depth of the low end, as if to say "this CF guitar doesn't have the high, crystalline sound that other CF guitars have." I'm hoping the X30 is well-balanced, not just some boomy, bassy guitar. Does that make sense? Your thoughts either way, would be very helpful.
Mike, my X30 came with an extremely low saddle and I thought it was excessively boomy. But when I shimmed the saddle up to a better height to avoid string buzzing using a layer of credit card plastic, that change tamed the bass and balanced the tone much better to my ear. I have another saddle that Alistair sent me to do my own setup, but it isn't currently broken..... I admit to backing off a little bit on the bass strings when playing boom-chuck style. To me the X30 compares quite well to a nice Martin rosewood/spruce dreadnought, with that level of low-end horsepower. The X20 seems more like a 000 or GA to me, in terms of tonal balance or EQ.

I think you make a good point that some are going out of their way to over-emphasize the low end, which may make more out of the issue than might normally be perceived. That bass emphasis could be an artifact of recording though. There is no substitute for trying one yourself in person.
Old 07-23-2020, 03:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Mike, my X30 came with an extremely low saddle and I thought it was excessively boomy. But when I shimmed the saddle up to a better height to avoid string buzzing using a layer of credit card plastic, that change tamed the bass and balanced the tone much better to my ear. I have another saddle that Alistair sent me to do my own setup, but it isn't currently broken..... I admit to backing off a little bit on the bass strings when playing boom-chuck style. To me the X30 compares quite well to a nice Martin rosewood/spruce dreadnought, with that level of low-end horsepower. The X20 seems more like a 000 or GA to me, in terms of tonal balance or EQ.

I think you make a good point that some are going out of their way to over-emphasize the low end, which may make more out of the issue than might normally be perceived. That bass emphasis could be an artifact of recording though. There is no substitute for trying one yourself in person.
That's the truth! But these things are not so easily found, unfortunately, so I have to rely on good folks like you sharing experiences. I appreciate it very much!

2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber