The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-10-2020, 05:26 PM

Default Waiting for my shipping video...

Six months (and a day) since ordering a fan-fret six-string X30 and I was really, really, REALLY, hoping that today would be the day.

I impatiently checked my email every 5 or 10 minutes (or so, might have been a bit more often ), and waited, impatiently (too), for the shipping video to be uploaded, but, alas and alack, 'twas not to be...no sign of a Canadian flag on the shelf.

Can you say, "Getting a bit antsy?"

I knew you could...

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.
Old 07-10-2020, 05:40 PM

I just watched the shipping video too. Guess I'm about a month behind you, Phil. My custom X20 was ordered during the first week of February. I'll just muddle on through somehow with my current stock X20. I can afford to be patient. It's OK Alistair.

Have another LaBatt's..... or maybe a Guinness.
Old 07-10-2020, 05:43 PM
Charter Member

Kinda like me waiting on my ship to come in....not happening anytime soon. Hope you get it sooner than later ! I'm sure it will be worth the wait.
Old 07-10-2020, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philjs View Post
Six months (and a day) since ordering a fan-fret six-string X30 and I was really, really, REALLY, hoping that today would be the day.

I impatiently checked my email every 5 or 10 minutes (or so, might have been a bit more often ), and waited, impatiently (too), for the shipping video to be uploaded, but, alas and alack, 'twas not to be...no sign of a Canadian flag on the shelf.

I knew you could...

Phil
I understand how you feel. I’m certain that you would have had it by now if it weren’t for Covid. I’m hoping that my in stock but slightly modded(fretboard dot markers) X30 shows up on next Friday’s video, along with yours, of course.
Old 07-11-2020, 04:18 AM
Charter Member

On the other hand, they got the William & Mary t-shirts that I sent last week. Go Tribe...

Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 07-11-2020 at 05:13 AM.
Old 07-11-2020, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
On the other hand, they got the William & Mary t-shirts that I sent last week. Go Tribe...

Alistair looks great in his new William and Mary shirt. Not to get political but I bet that the administration and alumni of William and Mary are glad that they were over a decade ahead of the curve. The following is from Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willia...able%20Stadium.

"From 1916 to the mid-1980s William & Mary athletic teams were known as the Indians to reflect First American history in the area. Since 1978 the school's teams have been known simply as the Tribe. During the 2006–07 school year then–College President Gene Nichol removed two tribal feathers from the William & Mary athletic logo to bring the program into compliance with newly passed NCAA regulations. On April 6, 2010, after student discussion and polling, the griffin was announced as the school's new mascot."

The griffin(gryphon?) and the Emerald hound logo would probably get along famously...you might even say that there's some synergy there! And then there's Balor, Amicus and Chimaera from Irish mythology.
Old 07-11-2020, 09:20 AM

Quote:

I knew you could...

Phil
I just checked...my order is less than 3 months in. Only *seems* like 6!
Old 07-11-2020, 09:24 AM
Charter Member

As an aside, William & Mary received its charter in 1693 (second oldest next to Harvard), and probably used Indians as its mascot because it actually served as a school for Indian, ok Native American, boys....

The second oldest building at William & Mary is the Brafferton, constructed southeast of the Wren Building to house William & Mary's Indian School. The royal charter of 1693 that established W&M stated as one of its goals "that the Christian faith may be propagated amongst the Western Indians, to the glory of Almighty God...." Over thirty years later, William & Mary Statutes reaffirmed the mission to "teach the Indian boys to read, and write, and vulgar Arithmetick.... to teach them thoroughly the Catechism and the Principles of the Christian Religion."

Funds from the estate of Robert Boyle, the famous English scientist, were used to endow the Indian School. Boyle's will provided that £4,000 sterling should be employed for "pious and charitable uses." Boyle's executors decided to use the funds to purchase Brafferton Manor in Yorkshire, England, part of the annual income from which supported the Indian School at William & Mary.

In the beginning, classes were held in temporary quarters and later in the Wren Building; the boys lived with families in town until the Brafferton was constructed in 1723. Although the name of the builder is not recorded, it is likely that Henry Cary, Jr., who built the President's House and the chapel wing of the Wren Building a decade later, was responsible.

Described by Hugh Jones in The Present State of Virginia in 1724 as "a good House and Apartments for the Indian Master and his Scholars," the Brafferton has two main floors divided by a wide center hall to the west of which there is a single large room and to the east of which are located two smaller rooms. The large room on the first floor was probably used as a classroom, with the two smaller rooms providing an apartment for the Indian Master.
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 11-20-2021 at 07:04 AM.
Old 07-11-2020, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
As an aside, William & Mary received its charter in 1693 (second oldest next to Harvard), and probably used Indians as its mascot because it actually served as a school for Indian, ok Native American, boys....

The second oldest building at William & Mary is the Brafferton, constructed southeast of the Wren Building to house William & Mary's Indian School. The royal charter of 1693 that established W&M stated as one of its goals "that the Christian faith may be propagated amongst the Western Indians, to the glory of Almighty God...." Over thirty years later, William & Mary Statutes reaffirmed the mission to "teach the Indian boys to read, and write, and vulgar Arithmetick.... to teach them thoroughly the Catechism and the Principles of the Christian Religion."

Funds from the estate of Robert Boyle, the famous English scientist, were used to endow the Indian School. Boyle's will provided that £4,000 sterling should be employed for "pious and charitable uses." Boyle's executors decided to use the funds to purchase Brafferton Manor in Yorkshire, England, part of the annual income from which supported the Indian School at William & Mary.

In the beginning, classes were held in temporary quarters and later in the Wren Building; the boys lived with families in town until the Brafferton was constructed in 1723. Although the name of the builder is not recorded, it is likely that Henry Cary, Jr., who built the President's House and the chapel wing of the Wren Building a decade later, was responsible.

Described by Hugh Jones in The Present State of Virginia in 1724 as "a good House and Apartments for the Indian Master and his Scholars," the Brafferton has two main floors divided by a wide center hall to the west of which there is a single large room and to the east of which are located two smaller rooms. The large room on the first floor was probably used as a classroom, with the two smaller rooms providing an apartment for the Indian Master.
Thanks for the history lesson. I especially appreciate it as a Harvard Med School alumnus. If you ever get another Emerald you might consider commissioning Phil Atkinson to paint the W&M griffin on the front lower bout. How cool would that be?
Old 07-11-2020, 01:20 PM

Guitars do not always make it into the shipping video.

My Chimaera never made it. (I think they were still wiring up the pickups during the filming)
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 07-12-2020, 07:19 AM

I do hope y'all realize that this thread/post was engendered by a moment of existential angst, an "arrrggh!!", if you will, when the day passed, and then the shipping video was posted, and no joy was forthcoming. Or, consider it a 1st world problem of the highest irrelevancy...

They say "good things come to those that wait" ... I can wait for good. I'll wait even longer for excellent!

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.
Old 07-12-2020, 10:13 AM

Quote:
They say "good things come to those that wait" ... I can wait for good. I'll wait even longer for excellent!
That's what I told Simon in an email - take whatever time is necessary to get it right, since this is the last guitar that I intend to ever buy. Seriously.....
Old 07-12-2020, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
That's what I told Simon in an email - take whatever time is necessary to get it right, since this is the last guitar that I intend to ever buy. Seriously.....
Thanks for the morning chuckle, Earl. Last guitar you intend to buy... seriously, you crack me up. Oh, wait: you're going to let Alice buy any further guitars, but she'll let you play 'em?

Years ago, BC (Before Carbon, for me), I had just bought a gorgeous tobacco burst Taylor 814ce - my first foray into internet buying, my first time buying a guitar without playing it. It was also the most expensive acoustic guitar I bought at the time, so quite a leap of faith for me. Jim at Guitar Rodeo was friendly and patient, and made the experience great, set up perfect when I described my playing style... making it easy for further internet buying experiences.

Sorry, digressing as usual - literally, the day after I bought that 812, Joan found an irresistible deal on a T5. Well, I could resist it, because I felt I had blown my budget on the 814. Joan said, "Well, this will be my guitar!" Interesting, because she doesn't play guitar and has no interest in learning. The T5 got to our house one day before the 814. We still have both of those guitars, although others have come and gone... I have an emotional attachment to both.

Just relating all that so you have "an out" when you find you actually do need "just one more."

Best wishes,
Jim
Old 07-13-2020, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Thanks for the morning chuckle, Earl. Last guitar you intend to buy... seriously, you crack me up. Oh, wait: you're going to let Alice buy any further guitars, but she'll let you play 'em?
She already owns several of the guitars in our house. The smaller ones -- X7 and Cargo -- are all for Mama Bear, not Papa Bear. They don't count against my lifetime total. But she is hardly being neglected...... her newest vertical bass flute (that you saw and heard) cost more than any five of my guitars put together.

Laugh if you must, and revoke my AGF membership if necessary for such blasphemy. But I am serious about this upcoming X20 being my last guitar purchase. The X20 fits me, my playing style, and my mental image of acoustic tone perfectly. Literally all of the others are going away, including the two koa Taylor's that until recently had a lifetime "pass". And the T5 Classic too. If I ever need a smaller guitar to play around shoulder or hand injuries, I'll just use one of her X7's. I'm at the point in my life and playing career where I have tried everything that I wanted to test and found what fits me best. So there is no point in further questing, and I would like to simplify going forward.
Old 07-13-2020, 12:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
She already owns several of the guitars in our house. The smaller ones -- X7 and Cargo -- are all for Mama Bear, not Papa Bear. They don't count against my lifetime total. But she is hardly being neglected...... her newest vertical bass flute (that you saw and heard) cost more than any five of my guitars put together.

Laugh if you must, and revoke my AGF membership if necessary for such blasphemy. But I am serious about this upcoming X20 being my last guitar purchase. The X20 fits me, my playing style, and my mental image of acoustic tone perfectly. Literally all of the others are going away, including the two koa Taylor's that until recently had a lifetime "pass". And the T5 Classic too. If I ever need a smaller guitar to play around shoulder or hand injuries, I'll just use one of her X7's. I'm at the point in my life and playing career where I have tried everything that I wanted to test and found what fits me best. So there is no point in further questing, and I would like to simplify going forward.
I admire your tenacity, Earl. I have learned that as soon as I say, "There isn't another guitar I want," something comes onto my radar that I didn't even know I needed!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber