The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF For Sale - Rest of World (outside US)

Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2020, 02:48 PM
Charter Member

Default Baranik JX - TRADED

Hi All,

I know this info is always hard to find, so I will put it up first:

Price: 3700 Euro
Trade Value: 4000 Euro

I'm listing my 2007 Baranik JX for sale. I bought this guitar from a forum member a few months ago and imported it into Switzerland. It's a fantastic sounding guitar and is also easily the most comfortable guitar I have ever held. The neck shape is fantastic - it fits my hand perfect. The string spacing is just a hair over 1 3/4 at 1 25/32" (46mm) and it gives just the right amount of room on the left hand without becoming difficult to play. When I am finally ready to get my own custom built I want it to have this neck and spacing! The asymmetrical body shape is also wonderful, and the 16" lower bout is very easily managable.

The guitar is also very versatile. It works fantastically well for bare fingers, but also loves a pick and also strumming. Dream guitars had the following to say about the guitar when it was there a few years ago:

"Mike Baranik is among some of the most consistent builders working today. we know what we are getting when we get a Baranik in, a flawlessly built modern voiced instrument. This JX model in East Indian Rosewood and Carpathian Spruce is built for someone who needs everything and needs it done well. If you need to do some flatpicking, this guitar will do it with power and volume, if you need to do some fingerpicking it will handle it with grace and ease. The voice is clear and precise with a focus on the fundamental. The set up is perfect and will have you wanting to come back and play at every spare moment. This is a wonderful all around guitar, I couldn't imagine a situation that it wouldn't excel in, recording, playing live, flatpicking, fingerpicking, you name it, it can do it."

https://www.dreamguitars.com/shop/ba...el-string.html

Here is a review if this exact guitar (with some excellent playing) from forum member Dustin Furlow:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=555253

The condition of the guitar is somewhere between a conservative very good and excellent. There are a couple of tiny marks in the top here and there, and a little spot on the lower bout where the finish may have lifted a bit- it's a bit cloudy there. There are also a couple fret edges that are a bit sharp on the treble side around the 5th fret. You don't notice at all when playing- Only when you look for them. It took me about two weeks to notice them. This stuff wasn't even disclosed in any of the previous postings for this guitar- that's how insignificant this stuff is. I just really want to be up front about everything. The guitar is great. It plays great. The stainless steel frets look new. The action is perfect. It needs nothing.

I don't have any pictures of my own as the natural lighting is terrible this time of year. I will post some pictures from previous owners. Of course, if anyone is serious about the guitar I would be happy to get some current pics and also do a skype call to discuss the condition in detail.

Specs:
Back/Sides: East Indian Rosewood
Top Wood: Carpathian Spruce
Fingerboard: Ebony
Neck Wood: Mahogany
Bridge: Ebony
Rosette: Koa and Abalone
Binding: Koa
Fingerboard Bindings: Ebony
Headplate: Ebony
Headstock Bindings: Ebony
Headstock Inlay: Custom
Tuners: Gotoh 510
Tuner Finish: Chrome
Measurements
Scale: 25.6"
Nut Width: 1 25/32 in. (46 mm)
String Spacing: 2 5/16 in. (58.7 mm)
Body Length: 19 3/8 in.
Upper Bout: 10 5/8 in.
Lower Bout: 15.9"
Body Depth @Tail Block: 4.25" in.
Frets to body: 14
Pickguard: Clear
Case: Hardshell Case - Ameritage
Pickup: Highlander IP2 not currently installed, but will ship with the guitar.

The guitar is in Switzerland, but I live very close to the German border. This means that I can also ship from inside the EU, so EU members can get this guitar tax and duty free!

Really I have no reason to sell it except for the desire to continue trying new guitars. I need to sell one in order to have money to buy something new. With that being said, I'm posting it for sale, but am not really in a rush to sell. I'd also be very happy to hear trade offers for other boutique/ solo luthier guitars. I need at least a 1 3/4" nut, but am flexible about most other other specs. I just love getting to know different guitars for a few months before sending them on their way.

Feel free to write me on the forum, but I prefer email: [email protected]

Cheers,
Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (14.7 KB, 351 views)
File Type: jpg dqwvxenkp05azzzhhbki.jpg (29.9 KB, 353 views)
File Type: jpg mt4yugt5c36xlqldjqll.jpg (31.3 KB, 351 views)
File Type: jpg pm475axdcxrp2ywfzzds.jpg (21.1 KB, 348 views)
File Type: jpg pwptzedvj5czrowejh6h.jpg (14.8 KB, 352 views)

Last edited by brianlcox; 06-06-2020 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Better description of condition after looking in good light
Old 03-05-2020, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

Another lovely guitar by Mike at a fantastic price!

Good luck with sale!
Old 03-05-2020, 01:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deft Tungsman View Post
Another lovely guitar by Mike at a fantastic price!

Good luck with sale!
Thanks Deft. I think the price is about right. This exact guitar sold used from Dream Guitars 5 years ago for 4300 Euro. Also a similar era Baranik with a repaired top crack just sold from the North American Guitar in London for 20% more (not including taxes).

I guess I could put this one for sale there and pretty close to what I'm asking here. I would rather it sell here though and pass the savings on to someone. Also I love the excitement of interacting with friendly buyers on the AGF. Loads of nice people here!
Old 03-06-2020, 01:28 AM
Charter Member

Hi. Pm sent.
Old 03-06-2020, 03:34 PM
Charter Member

Default Still available

Had a close call on a trade for a Froggy F14, but it looks like nut width issues are working against us. The Baranik is still available for now.

I'd love to try a different sized Froggy Bottom to compare with my Mahogany K. I'd also be very interested in a Goodall or a nice Santa Cruz OM or 000. I can't really put much money into a deal right now, but you never know. Try me!

Edit: I managed to get some decent photos this morning, so I will put them up here. The guitar is also on reverb now (with high res pics): https://reverb.com/ch/item/32785003-...an-spruce-2007

Some better pictures - one also showing the cloudy finish on the lower bout.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Baranik JX_001.jpg (125.7 KB, 319 views)
File Type: jpg Baranik JX_002.jpg (108.3 KB, 323 views)
File Type: jpg Baranik JX_003.jpg (133.3 KB, 322 views)
File Type: jpg Baranik JX_004.jpg (146.5 KB, 325 views)
File Type: jpg Baranik JX_005.jpg (117.0 KB, 327 views)
File Type: jpg Baranik JX_006.jpg (81.6 KB, 321 views)
File Type: jpg Baranik JX_007.jpg (92.6 KB, 321 views)
File Type: jpg Baranik JX_010.jpg (116.3 KB, 319 views)
File Type: jpg Baranik JX_011.jpg (131.8 KB, 320 views)

Last edited by brianlcox; 03-07-2020 at 03:58 AM.
Old 03-21-2020, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

Default Bump

Almost 2000 views on this post now. I guess it's an uncertain time to be buying guitars right now, so I'm not too surprised at the decrease of interest in the last week or so.

I'm not really in a rush to part with this guitar, but I would be more than happy to talk trades with people - it would give us something to do during this lockdown!
Old 04-04-2020, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

Over 3000 new views in the past couple weeks. Obviously someone is looking at this bad boy! Even if you currently aren't in a position to buy - drop me a line. If you aren't a member you can write me at [email protected]. I'm bored here in quarantine - please talk to me!
Old 05-15-2020, 05:38 AM
Charter Member

Default Bump for the only Baranik on AGF

Now that Deft's beauty has found a new home, this is the only Baranik for sale on the AGF.

I've been back and forth with a few potential buyers and have had some interesting trade offers, but it's mostly the location/ Covid that's working against us. I'm sure that I will find a buyer or trade offer that will work out soon. Especially as things are starting to open up again here in Europe and shipping is getting much easier again.

That being said, I'm happy to talk about price and also trades. For the right guitar I'd be happy to put a bit of cash in, or also accept a trade plus cash.

At the moment I'm mostly looking for an OM / SJ Grand Auditorium body size from builders such as Froggy Bottom, Santa Cruz, Bourgeois, Goodall etc. However, I could be tempted for the right Lowden or something different completely. Just hit me up. The worst that could happen is that we exchange a few friendly messages...

Also, I re-installed the highlander pickup last weekend. This raised up the action (which was a hair under 2mm at the 12th fret on the Low E and a hair under 1.5mm on the high e) to around 2.3mm and 1.8mm. That crazy low action was amazing for fingerstyle, but now it's possible to see what this guitar can do with a pick. It's also great for strumming and flatpicking too. Far more responsive and easy to get going than a guitar of this size has a right to be, all without being overdriven!

If any one is looking for a modern fingerstyle guitar that can do it all this is the one! Tonally it's a bit brighter and clearer than my Froggy Bottom K or Goodall TROM. It is easier to get going with bare fingers than either of those guitars but still has as much headroom as the TROM and more than the Froggy K- and both of those have Adi tops. Tune it to Dropped D or DADGAD and it really rumbles too!

Last edited by brianlcox; 05-15-2020 at 08:52 AM.
Old 05-18-2020, 02:24 PM
Charter Member

Hey, Brian!

I imagine that those who've expressed an interest in this beautiful JX haven't had the good fortune to try it out in person. Too bad for them, because had they done so, they would have realized immediately just how much guitar you're offering for the money! To try is to buy, haha!

Take it from me, people. A Baranik guitar can teach you so much about musicality and about yourself as a maker of music. To own one is to delight in the rare opportunity of diving deeply into a world of endless possibilities, no matter which playing style you fancy. A Baranik can do it all.

Bump bump BUMP!!
Old 05-18-2020, 02:42 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Marc!

I was just playing this actually. It left me wondering what was wrong with me for wanting to sell it; what could be better?

In no way am I selling this guitar because I don't like it or because it's not good. Rather, I really enjoy trying out guitars from different builders for a couple of months at a time. After about 5 months with this one now I'm ready to try something else.

I actually have a trade on the table for a nice Beneteau OM that I am very seriously considering. I think I might post this over on the normal classifieds section before making any serious decisions, but time certainly is ticking.
Old 06-06-2020, 12:59 PM
Charter Member

Default Traded.

Looks like this one is going to the UK as soon as the borders open up.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF For Sale - Rest of World (outside US)