The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 08-08-2020, 09:44 PM

Default Stratocaster fret buzz

Hey guys,

https://imgur.com/gallery/Fh9UCD5

I've been tweaking and tightening the screws for the trem claw and the screws on my strats bridge and managed to get it nice and flat and the tuning seems to be stable and holding ok, but problem now is there's A LOT of fret buzz right up and down the neck particular on the 6th and 5th Strings. Does my strat just need some attention to the intonation now to get rid of it? do i just need to raise the strings ever so slightly to eliminate the bulk of this buzz im now getting?

I'm taking it to my local luthier tomorrow morning to have it thoroughly looked at but just want to know in advance as to what I need to tell him.
The guitar itself is now playing like an absolute dream in terms of feel but yeah the fret buzz is quite horrendous.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-09-2020, 01:41 AM
Charter Member

By decking the trem - I assume that’s your intent, to play it like a hardtail with no trem - you’re effectively also lowering the saddles. Which can lead to fret buzz. You likely need to raise the strings by raising the saddles. It’s also a good time to check intonation because you’re also pulling the saddles back slightly as well when you deck the trem. So raise the saddles until you don’t have fret buzz, and then when it’s playing right, check and adjust (as needed) the intonation....

-Ray
Old 08-09-2020, 05:17 AM

In addition to what Ray said, a truss rod adjustment may help.

Make sure the Tech tells you exactly what he did afterwards. That way you can pick up those setup tips.
Old 08-09-2020, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxHound4690 View Post
Hey guys,

https://imgur.com/gallery/Fh9UCD5

I've been tweaking and tightening the screws for the trem claw and the screws on my strats bridge and managed to get it nice and flat and the tuning seems to be stable and holding ok, but problem now is there's A LOT of fret buzz right up and down the neck particular on the 6th and 5th Strings. Does my strat just need some attention to the intonation now to get rid of it? do i just need to raise the strings ever so slightly to eliminate the bulk of this buzz im now getting?

I'm taking it to my local luthier tomorrow morning to have it thoroughly looked at but just want to know in advance as to what I need to tell him.
The guitar itself is now playing like an absolute dream in terms of feel but yeah the fret buzz is quite horrendous.

Thanks in advance.
I agree with these answers, just get the sequence right: truss rod, saddle height, intonation (with fresh strings.) Also remember that some fret buzz doesn't matter as long as you don't hear it through the amp.
Old 08-09-2020, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post
I agree with these answers, just get the sequence right: truss rod, saddle height, intonation (with fresh strings.) Also remember that some fret buzz doesn't matter as long as you don't hear it through the amp.
Thanks for your answers guys, i'm going to have a quick look at the saddles and see if i can adjust them myself. I do know some fret buzz is ok and ultimately inevitable but I can hear it through the amp with this guitar so that's basically what's telling me i need to get it adjusted properly.
Old 08-09-2020, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
In addition to what Ray said, a truss rod adjustment may help.

Make sure the Tech tells you exactly what he did afterwards. That way you can pick up those setup tips.
Truss rod ^^^^^

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair