The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 08-01-2020, 02:13 PM
Charter Member

Default Alternatives for sides and back (and top)

I was just watching a TV show showing ukes being molded from resin infused linen. They make guitars too.

I hadn't heard of this before, so I thought I'd share.

https://www.blackbirdguitar.com/pages/abouy
Old 08-01-2020, 08:43 PM

Poor-man's carbon fiber.
Old 08-02-2020, 10:09 AM

IIRC, the Germans used molded linen/resin structures on aircraft, such as the Albatross D-Va, back in WW 1. And even earlier there was Torres.....

Several years ago I tested out the material properties of a burl figure mesquite back. The density and damping were high, and the Young's modulus low both along and across the grain. In looking for something similar I hit on Masonite, which is, perhaps, a little 'better'. One of these days I hope to getting around to making that pair.
Old 08-04-2020, 06:03 AM

I guess you could call it the poor man's carbon fiber, though not by much. Looks to be probably the exact same process, just different materials, probably mostly for the sake of aesthetics. At that price point, I doubt material cost is all that significant.

What they describe is fabricating guitars from what is commonly called things like Micarta and Garolite under trade names, natural fiber cloth and resin composite. With synthetic fiber cloth, it's sometimes called G-10, with glass fiber cloth, just fiberglass.

It's interesting stuff, can be very strong and rigid and heavy, compared to, say, wood, in similar dimensions. Where carbon fiber shines is that it's so strong and rigid, it can be fabricated very thin and lightweight and still function sufficiently. Not so sure the linen/resin Micarta-like material offers the same hypothetical performance, though I suppose it can be made to work. Aesthetically, it can have a subjectively more pleasing, "natural" appearance. I'm guessing that may be the clearest selling point vs a carbon fiber fabricated instrument.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair