The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 07-25-2020, 07:49 PM

Default Istanbul oddity

I present you an uncommon fretted variation of the Turkish Cumbus.

To American eyes, this instrument appears to be something along the lines of a 12 string banjo with an aluminum mixing bowl-like resonator. Invented about a century ago, it seems to be an attempt to create an oud-like instrument with increased volume better suited to live ensemble performance. Typically, they are unfretted, like an oud. The manufacturer expanded the line to include variations such as the saz, mandolin, ukulele, all utilizing similar deep bowl resonators, typically from spun aluminum but also occasionally wood. It appears they did this run of fretted 12 string versions about 20 years ago, and I was fortunate enough to pick one up while they could be had. Since then, they appear to have been discontinued, though I think they make some with 6 string guitar neck versions these days.

This specimen appears to be a common Cumbus with the added feature of metal frets, in a more or less 12 note scale. Scale length is about 21.625" (549mm), neck width at nut is 1.625" (41mm), string spacing at bridge is 2.75" (70mm). The bowl resonator is about 12" (305mm) in diameter amd about 5.5" (140mm) deep, with overall length about 34" (864mm). Strings are fairly light, with intended tuning unknown by me, but I tune it to EADGBE, six unison pairs. The neck joint has a bolt holding it in place that, along with string tension, seems to allow for relatively simple neck angle adjustment, though haven't tried it for myself. The bowl is topped with a synthetic skin. And the fingerboard is a thin Formica-like laminate in a marble-like pattern.

Not being at all versed in the kind of music it was designed for, I pretty much play it like a guitar. It has surprising sustain, with a loud, percussive and resonant voice one might expect. It doesn't sound much like a banjo, but played correctly, it can pull off a pretty good Leadbelly vibe.
Old 07-27-2020, 01:27 AM

Interesting. I've seen photos of similar instruments but never knew what they were called.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 07-27-2020, 03:08 AM
Charter Member

Well! The idea of a 12 string banjo makes my ears want to run and hide!

But hey, you could play this and then detach the resonator and cook a perfectly good one pit meal!
Old 07-27-2020, 04:54 AM
Guitar Gourmet

David Gilmour has one and plays it on his last two albums, especially On An Island.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 07-27-2020, 08:31 AM

Now all the oud players in Turkey have something to make jokes about...
Old 07-28-2020, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Now all the oud players in Turkey have something to make jokes about...
Yeah, like: “Hey, did you hear about the cumbus player who was so dumb all the other cumbus players knew it?”

and

“What do you say to a cumbus player in a three piece suit?”

“Will the defendant please rise...”

I’m sure the list goes on: how do you get a cumbus player off your porch, what’s the nicest thing you can say to a cumbus player, how do you improve the mileage of a cumbus player’s car, and so forth...

whm
Old 07-29-2020, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Yeah, like: “Hey, did you hear about the cumbus player who was so dumb all the other cumbus players knew it?”

and

“What do you say to a cumbus player in a three piece suit?”

“Will the defendant please rise...”

I’m sure the list goes on: how do you get a cumbus player off your porch, what’s the nicest thing you can say to a cumbus player, how do you improve the mileage of a cumbus player’s car, and so forth...

whm
When I was a kid I told my Mom "I wanna be a cumbus player when I grow up.

My Mom said
…….What

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments