The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 04-18-2020, 08:23 PM

My recommendation would to look at some Eastman guitars. I would start with the AR 500 to 900 series models.
Old 05-09-2020, 03:16 PM
Charter Member

Default Eastman 503CE

I can recommend this model. Super good amplified sound, and enough acoustic sound for practicing. Just a bit thinner in the body than a full-depth archtop.
Old 05-12-2020, 11:20 AM

Might help if you specify which guitars you've tried that didn't suit you. Can vouch for Eastman, Godin, and Gretsch personally. If you want to add overdrive to your sound, try out pedals and amps with the guitar you chose, otherwise you could get into a never-ending tone hunt. Stay safe!
Old 05-13-2020, 06:27 PM

If you’re going for that acoustic Mississippi Fred McDowell vibe, the older, cheaper archtops are where it’s at... Harmony, Silvertone, etc. They made a bunch of them in Europe too. I have a small-bodied Framus with bronze strings on it and it’s nothing like your run-of-the-mill modern “jazz“ guitar. Single notes can sound like you’re shooting them out of the soundboard with a bow and arrow. The strings are key for this— I don’t think you can get the same sound with electric strings.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops