The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-27-2021, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlE View Post
That is exactly I do (most of the time). I have a Martin D-16 with a K&K Pure Mini that sounds really good, but for my gigging and open mics I usually take my Taylor 214ce DLX. It is more comfortable to play, has a more durable finish, and if something were to happen to it I wouldn't feel as bad. Plus, the ES2 gives me some amount of control over sound level and EQ if the sound man is not up to the task. Other times, I just feel like taking the Martin though and the K&K is fine, especially if I run it through a preamp or pedal with a buffer. Though I don't think that 99% of the audience can appreciate the difference.

You sound like me with my HD28 and Taylor 214CE DLX. I’m playing the HD28 mostly but pick up the Taylor on occasion. Both are great guitars but different. I’ve got Stage DI-2. Wish it had a rechargeable battery circuit in it or at least a quick replacement instead of having to unscrew the back. Played with it yesterday and seems to work although I just feed it into my Boss Katana amp.

Grappling with whether I should take the Martin or Taylor to a back yard event that I will play at for a little bit this weekend. The Martin has never been out of my house.
Taylor 562CE
Taylor 214CE DLX
Amalio Burguet Vanessa
Fender Player Stratocaster HSS Plus
Timberline T60HGpc
Kolaloha KTM-000 with MiSi
SunnAudio MS-2
Digital Piano Yamaha P515
Grand Piano Yamaha C3
DPA 4488
Old 04-27-2021, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdman View Post
You sound like me with my HD28 and Taylor 214CE DLX. I’m playing the HD28 mostly but pick up the Taylor on occasion. Both are great guitars but different. I’ve got Stage DI-2. Wish it had a rechargeable battery circuit in it or at least a quick replacement instead of having to unscrew the back. Played with it yesterday and seems to work although I just feed it into my Boss Katana amp.

Grappling with whether I should take the Martin or Taylor to a back yard event that I will play at for a little bit this weekend. The Martin has never been out of my house.
If they made the 200s with a 1-3/4" nut, I would have kept mine as my gig and travel guitar. I loved the 210e DLX except for the narrow nut.
Old 04-28-2021, 03:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlE View Post
That is exactly I do (most of the time). I have a Martin D-16 with a K&K Pure Mini that sounds really good, but for my gigging and open mics I usually take my Taylor 214ce DLX. It is more comfortable to play, has a more durable finish, and if something were to happen to it I wouldn't feel as bad. Plus, the ES2 gives me some amount of control over sound level and EQ if the sound man is not up to the task. Other times, I just feel like taking the Martin though and the K&K is fine, especially if I run it through a preamp or pedal with a buffer. Though I don't think that 99% of the audience can appreciate the difference.
OMG, you are one of the infamous Taylor knob twidlers! In the good old days I ran sound at an open mic. The person in the entire room that is the least qualified to judge their sound is the performer. I have the performer set the sound in the monitor mix, will adjust volume and tone until they are happy, then set the house mix. 90%, I kid you not, of Taylor players will then turn their volume or bass up on the fly, and I'll go running for the house controls. Well, I don't go running anymore, I already have my hand on the faders from experience. There is one Taylor guy who brings his own good pre, has his sound nailed, and we just get his monitor level right and run his feed flat. perfect every time, and he doesn't touch his guitar controls while he plays.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification