The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 05-10-2021, 10:13 AM

Default David Bromberg Kindhearted Woman

https://livesessions.npr.org/videos/...-hearted-woman

I had heard of David Bromberg before and probably even heard a few things from him on the radio but he recently came up in my YouTube feed and I realized how darn good he is. Enjoy this live in the studio piece.
1990 Guild GF30 Bld Maple Archback
Alvarez AP66
Baby Taylor
G&L ASAT Tribute T-style
Old 05-10-2021, 09:45 PM
Charter Member

Bromberg is one of the finest guitar players you're going to come across and he's just fun to listen to. He's been one of my favorite performers since I caught him live back at a free concert about 30 years ago.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 05-11-2021, 03:42 AM
Charter Member

I’ve seen him play live four or five times. Each time grinning ear to ear. His shows have so much humor and joy.

Ending shows with I Will Not be Your Fool and Such a Night… Magic.

Last edited by SalFromChatham; 07-01-2021 at 03:33 AM.
Old 05-11-2021, 05:18 AM
Charter Member

Before he passed, Dick Fegy and David would tear it up onstage with any available stringed instrument! David remains one of the best instrumentalists out there. A genuine treasure.
Old 05-11-2021, 06:41 AM
Charter Member

I used to go see Bromberg a lot in the late '70s, early '80s. Big band, small band, just acoustic, whatever. He was always a lot of fun and a great musician on top of it. I was living out west then. Now I live about a half hour from his violin shop in Wilmington, WXPN is our nearby college radio station (we live outside of Philly), he's played I don't know how many shows in downtown Wilmington, but I haven't seen him in decades. He's getting on in years, but he's still out there playing and pre-pandemic played often enough around here that Ive got no excuses. When things start opening back up, I have to go see him somewhere soon.

-Ray
Old 05-11-2021, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

I have nothing to add, but wanted to hit the like button. My college booked David back in the mid 70's and I've been a fan ever since. He toured with horns in those days. His full band version of "Send Me to the 'Lectric Chair" brought down the house. Wonderful player, underrated vocalist with a unique style, and seems like a very nice guy, too.
Old 05-11-2021, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
I used to go see Bromberg a lot in the late '70s, early '80s. Big band, small band, just acoustic, whatever. He was always a lot of fun and a great musician on top of it. I was living out west then. Now I live about a half hour from his violin shop in Wilmington, WXPN is our nearby college radio station (we live outside of Philly), he's played I don't know how many shows in downtown Wilmington, but I haven't seen him in decades. He's getting on in years, but he's still out there playing and pre-pandemic played often enough around here that Ive got no excuses. When things start opening back up, I have to go see him somewhere soon.

-Ray
I’m going to see him at a small theater in Greenwich RI in November. He’s doing a bunch of east coast shows at the time. Really looking forward to it.
1990 Guild GF30 Bld Maple Archback
Alvarez AP66
Baby Taylor
G&L ASAT Tribute T-style
Old 05-11-2021, 10:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbeinct View Post
I’m going to see him at a small theater in Greenwich RI in November. He’s doing a bunch of east coast shows at the time. Really looking forward to it.
He's gonna be REALLY nearby on September 17, but I'm gonna be in Oregon visiting my daughter, who we won't have seen for nearly two years at that point... I'm not sorry we're gonna be where we're gonna be, but I'm bummed to miss a chance to see him. I know the venue too - it's great. Saw Southside Johhny there a few years ago. Probably a few more than a few as I think about it.

-Ray
Old 05-11-2021, 01:00 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for this! Huge fan.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN