The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-17-2010, 02:00 AM

Thanks for that FlamencoChk,

The Tak EC132sc that I found, has the pick-up/preamp, and it's a recent model (2009). He's asking $875. w/hard-case included. I think I'll call him tomorrow. That at least, would be a step-up from my Tak EC128, as far as a plugged-in guitar goes.

The used TH-5 I found, has no electronics. Since he's asking $1350., I think I'd rather sink that dough into the Cervantes Crossover 1.

I'm still curious about the Multiac though. Geesh, here we go again. I said to myself a while back too, "no mo' guitars!!!!!"

Bob
Old 01-17-2010, 07:24 AM

+1 on the Tak TC 132SC as I'm a big fan of the CoolTube pre. Mine seems to responds better acoustically with high tension strings.

'03 Martin OM-28V
'04 Breedlove McKenzie Mando
'05 Seagull S12+
'06 Larrivee LV-03E
'07 Takamine TC132SC
'08 CA 7M-CE, '08 CA Cargo
SWR California Blonde II, AAD Cub
Old 01-17-2010, 10:43 AM

Can't your usual guitar salesman order any guitar you want? And for a relatively high-end guitar, I'd also consider on-line, if he can't expand your choices.

Al at http://www.lostartvintage.com/mainframe.asp gives good deals on Takamine, and I got mine from 8th Street Music.... But all the houses carry Takamine - Musicians Friend, Sweetwater, etc,....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby1note View Post
Thanks for that FlamencoChk,

The Tak EC132sc that I found, has the pick-up/preamp, and it's a recent model (2009). He's asking $875. w/hard-case included. I think I'll call him tomorrow. That at least, would be a step-up from my Tak EC128, as far as a plugged-in guitar goes.

Bob

Last edited by BuleriaChk; 01-17-2010 at 11:11 AM.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuleriaChk View Post
+++ I agree....

I have a Takamine TC132SC (special order Flamenco) and a Takamine TH-5C, and am absolutely delighted with both of them (especially plugged in). I find I don't use the Tube aspect much, but even so, the sound and playability of both are great (I had the action lowered for Flamenco, but no buzz even then...)

And the Taks really lend themselves to signal processing (ouboard effects); e.g,, the Fishmain reverb, etc...
Some questions:

If you've played both, how would compare one of your Taks to a pickup'd Loriente Clarita?

Do feel that the Taks have reliably good intonation or should one always play the one they buy?

Is the difference between the tak EC, TC and TH series mostly one of solid/laminate wood combinations? If so, is the sound and playability all that much noticable?

I've read that, due to the larger vibration of classical strings, it's best to stick with the standard calssical neck width to avoid strings buzzing against fingers. Do you find that to be the case? I've thought of cross-overs, but that has actually discouraged me from going that route for nylon.

An used older version (?) of your TH5C, A Tak HD-5C, is listed on the Chicago Music Exchange website. Do you think the older non-Cooltube sound would be as good? The price certainly looks good.
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley

Last edited by lpa53; 01-17-2010 at 11:42 AM.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuleriaChk View Post
Can't your usual guitar salesman order any guitar you want? And for a relatively high-end guitar, I'd also consider on-line, if he can't expand your choices.

Al at http://www.lostartvintage.com/mainframe.asp gives good deals on Takamine, and I got mine from 8th Street Music.... But all the houses carry Takamine - Musicians Friend, Sweetwater, etc,....
Right now BuleriaChk, I'm so blown away by the Cervantes, I can't think of anything else. I was up 'til 5:00 AM this morning, listening to some Cervantes YouTube videos, and if ever the words "category killer" applied, well this certainly seems to be the case with the Cervantes Crossover #1. I may even order two of them, one with a spruce top, and one in cedar. As soon as the 12th Fret gets back to me, I'll know what my next step is. I should have an answer by Tuesday hopefully.

Bob
Old 01-18-2010, 04:07 PM

I don't consider myself vain, and I don't buy guitars on their appearance, but I just cannot get over the huge Cervantes Crossover headstock. What on earth?????

jackL
Old 01-18-2010, 05:13 PM

I really like the amplified tone which Jeff Linsky gets in this instructional video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zofhxs-Uomw

He's using one of the new Yamaha NCX models, though I don't know which one. Whatever amp he's using isn't even in view, and we have no idea where the amp is in relation to the recording mic. My guess is that he's recording with the video camera's mic. Whatever the setup, the recorded sound is very appealing to me.

It should be mentioned that both the NCX models and the crossover version (narrower fretboard) NTX models employ Yamaha's new ART pickup system.

Gary

Last edited by guitaniac; 01-18-2010 at 05:19 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:12 PM

Well, here's the latest;

I contacted 12th Fret this afternoon, and spoke with a very helpful young man. Unfortunately, the classical-guitar "expert" was not in, but should be available tomorrow.

My current dilema is, do I go with the Crossover 1 with Engelmann spruce top, or with a cedar top. Both are the same price. I may actually buy both over time. I love the warmth of a cedar-top steel string guitar, but with nylon strings,,,,,, hmmmmm.

Bob
Old 01-20-2010, 01:18 PM

i got to play both side by side. it kind of depends on the player really. do you play with nails and good classical technique? (i don't, so i went with the spruce). i thought the same way--that i might want both down the road. i was thinking that the cedar one would be like a 'real' classical guitar and the spruce one would be like a 'jazz guy' classical guitar, but alejandro's are voiced so much like a classical guitar regardless, you don't necessarily have to look at the tradeoff in this way.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:06 PM

Landru64,

Do you know off-hand, if the Crossover 1 has lattice bracing?

I'm probably going to go with the spruce top, based on the YouTube video where the fellow from France (Eric?) is playing Agua y Vinho. Sounded incredible, mind you, he had a heckuva mic there too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRdHUjR0BXg

Last edited by Bobby1note; 01-20-2010 at 04:23 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby1note View Post
Landru64,

Do you know off-hand, if the Crossover 1 has latice bracing?

I'm probably going to go with the spruce top, based on the YouTube video where the fellow from France (Eric?) is playing Agua y Vinho. Sounded incredible, mind you, he had a heckuva mic there too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRdHUjR0BXg
his playing is exceptional, but that's basically what mine sounds like

i think it has 'it works' bracing i have no idea, but i would give alejandro a call directly if you want any more info on it. the number is on the website.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:58 PM

I'll find out tomorrow about the bracing. It should be interesting to speak with Ed Kopala, at 12th Fret. I'm also going to the Montreal dealer some time early next month, to check out the Master Series in-the-flesh.

As for Alejandro, I imagine I'll be meeting him in person at the Salon de la Guitare, held annually in Montreal, and in conjunction with the Montreal Festival International du Jazz.

Salon de Guitar is July 2-4, Montreal Jazz-Fest is on from July 6th, thru 20th

Bob

Last edited by Bobby1note; 01-23-2010 at 09:23 AM.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:18 PM

Well, I spoke to Ed at 12th Fret today. He has both the spruce-top and cedar-top crossovers in stock, and for now, it looks like I'll go with spruce for the first one. To complicate things a bit, we also spoke about the Signature Series and Concierto models. I have a bit more work to do before I pull the trigger. I also spoke to the tech/service dept., about the Schertler Dyn-G pick-up.... We'll see.

The Multiac also may still be in the cards. I may find out this weekend, if time permits.

Bob
Old 01-23-2010, 12:04 PM

Well, I just HAD to do it didn't I? (crosses arms, taps foot, rolls eyes) I went and listened to some other guitar sound-samples, and now I'm not sure exactly where I'm going. I heard the Ramirez 4n????, and I gotta say, I was quite impressed to say the least. Hmmmm.

Bob
Old 01-23-2010, 03:53 PM

Bobby ~ Welcome to the wonderful world of GAS !

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification