The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-08-2021, 05:49 PM

Default Whistling sound from open D string?

I have had this issue to varying degrees with different guitars but I have a guitar where it’s really obvious.

When I strum an open D chord or play an open D string I hear a whistling type tone. It feels like it is coming from the saddle. If you watch the video below at around 2 minutes you should be able to hear what I am talking about.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Old 01-08-2021, 06:43 PM

I hear a jangling sort of sound, but no "whistle". In that video, I can't isolate which string(s) are producing that specific sound.

It sounds to me simply like overplaying for the height of the strings, causing some fret buzz.

If you have this happen on a variety of guitars, the commonality is you. You'd need a skilled setup person to look at the instrument and look at how you play it, setting it up to work for how you play. That can't be effectively done via the internet. The setup person will need to physically examine the instrument for nut height, relief, saddle and nut slot contours, etc.
Old 01-10-2021, 01:18 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
I have had this issue to varying degrees with different guitars but I have a guitar where it’s really obvious.

When I strum an open D chord or play an open D string I hear a whistling type tone. It feels like it is coming from the saddle. If you watch the video below at around 2 minutes you should be able to hear what I am talking about.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
I heard it. When you strummed the chord and stopped, it continued.

Mute the strings in back of the nut.

Regards,
Howard Emerson

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair