The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-22-2021, 01:55 PM

Default A probably dumb question about soundhole humidifiers

Since buying a new Martin HD-28 I am trying to get religion about humidification, something I've neglected my whole life and mostly gotten away with. I did get a split at the center seam on the top of a cheap guitar once, but all of my more expensive guitars have been crack-free and apparently happy despite zero effort at humidification through decades of Boston winters. But I think it's time to stop playing Russian roulette already.

The shop that I bought the HD-28 from gave me an Oasis humidifier to use with it. I've filled the Oasis and placed it, but I have one question, which applies to this and other soundhole-mounted humidifiers of its ilk such as the Music Nomad Humitar and D'Addario/Planet Waves type: When installed, they put some degree of outward pressure on whatever pair of strings they're hanging between. Is leaving a guitar in this state for long periods bad for the nut? In my mind, I'm picturing the strings gradually wearing a depression in the bottom of the nut slot. Because so many people use these systems, I have to assume this is an unfounded worry. But it's nagging at me a bit.
Martin D12X1AE
LaPatrie CW Concert
Old 01-22-2021, 02:07 PM
Charter Member

Absolutely harmless. Put your energy into playing your guitar instead of wasting energy worrying about it.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 01-22-2021, 02:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightchef View Post
Since buying a new Martin HD-28 I am trying to get religion about humidification, something I've neglected my whole life and mostly gotten away with. I did get a split at the center seam on the top of a cheap guitar once, but all of my more expensive guitars have been crack-free and apparently happy despite zero effort at humidification through decades of Boston winters. But I think it's time to stop playing Russian roulette already.

The shop that I bought the HD-28 from gave me an Oasis humidifier to use with it. I've filled the Oasis and placed it, but I have one question, which applies to this and other soundhole-mounted humidifiers of its ilk such as the Music Nomad Humitar and D'Addario/Planet Waves type: When installed, they put some degree of outward pressure on whatever pair of strings they're hanging between. Is leaving a guitar in this state for long periods bad for the nut? In my mind, I'm picturing the strings gradually wearing a depression in the bottom of the nut slot. Because so many people use these systems, I have to assume this is an unfounded worry. But it's nagging at me a bit.
Trust me it's no where near the stress you put on the strings by giving them one good strum. Just hang it in there and don't worry about anything except when it needs to be refilled.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 01-22-2021, 02:29 PM

I don’t even place it between the strings. I gently place in the sound hole in between the low E string and the pick guard. Just easier to put it in and take it out. You can also just leave it in the case, under the headstock or something, without installing it in between the strings and it will do the job just the same.
Old 01-22-2021, 02:31 PM

Thanks for the reassurance!
Martin D12X1AE
LaPatrie CW Concert
Old 01-22-2021, 02:49 PM
Charter Member

The way oasis can damage a guitar is if they leak water in them. This is why its important to make sure they have adequate hydration gel in them so the water is all gelled and not liquid. I noticed water drops exuding through one once, so I bought refill grit and always check them when refilling.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 01-23-2021, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geetaruke View Post
I don’t even place it between the strings. I gently place in the sound hole in between the low E string and the pick guard. Just easier to put it in and take it out. You can also just leave it in the case, under the headstock or something, without installing it in between the strings and it will do the job just the same.
Be careful there as depending on the manufactures recommended humidity level and the the case quality, storing in the case only may not get the guitar to that humidity level without being in the actual soundhole. Santa Cruz recommends Rh 50% and I cannot get to that level with the Oasis inside the case but can easily achieve if it's inside the soundhole.
Old 01-23-2021, 01:08 AM

There is no way you'll damage the guitar by the string tension change, BUT I don't like any humidification system I can't control; too much humidity isn't great either, and just blindly adding a vague amount of 'more water' doesn't seem like the way forward to me. I guess it depends on where you live, but where I live in England the humidity is pretty high and my guitars actually need de-humidifying for the vast majority of the year -- like I can count the number of days they needed more water on one hand.

The room my guitars are in is humidity controlled so I never have to worry about them; I just leave expensive guitars out on stands like they were $99 laminates.
Old 01-23-2021, 05:19 AM

I never bothered with commercial guitar humidifiers-and Britain has a temperate climate anyway with no real extremes of humidity and dryness for extended periods. During the winter months I just leave a small bowl of water on a central heating radiator in the room where my guitars live, and refill it as it evaporates. Never had a problem.
Guitars are pretty tough, so unless you live in a very arid region there's really no need for a humidifier in my opinion-hygrometers even less so.

Last edited by AndrewG; 01-23-2021 at 05:25 AM.
Old 01-23-2021, 05:30 AM
Charter Member

If it's an option for you, a whole house humidifier is a great solution. Not only does it keep the guitars humidified, it eliminates static electricity and makes the house feel warmer at lower temperatures. It's nice not needing to fool with soundhole humidifiers.
Old 01-23-2021, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geetaruke View Post

OP, This is a good option and I did something similar, when I used that style of humidifier. Now, I use the screeching halt soundhole plug/ humidfier combo. I either leave that in the soundhole, next to the cutaway, or in the headstock area of the case.
Old 01-23-2021, 06:23 AM

I recommend getting an accurate hygrometer and taking the guesswork out of humidity levels.

Guitars:

1910's Larson/Stetson 1 size guitar
1920 Martin 1-28
1987 Martin Schoenberg Soloist
2006 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2016 Froggy Bottom L Deluxe
2021 Blazer and Henkes 000-18 H
2015 Rainsong P12
2017 Probett Rocket III
2006 Sadowsky Semi Hollow
1993 Fender Stratocaster

Bass: 1993 Sadowsky NYC 5 String
Mandolin: Weber Bitterroot
Old 01-23-2021, 07:04 AM

I have one for my wood-bodied resonator, supplied by the lutheir. It fastens on the inside side of the case by Velcro. That's the theory. I quickly learned that Velcro does not stick well to a fuzzy surface like my case has. and found out almost as quickly that I don't need it anyhow (the Velcro, not the humidity). I simply wrapped it in a cotton cloth, which makes it thick enough to wedge in easily between the sides of guitar and case. Perfect.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 01-23-2021, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
Absolutely harmless. Put your energy into playing your guitar instead of wasting energy worrying about it.
JayBee is right. Play it like you own it.
Old 01-23-2021, 10:00 AM

+1 Absolutely harmless...

Remember to use distillated water (not tap water).

But if there is any water touching the strings, they will rust.

(For another reason I do not need these anymore...)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion