The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-09-2005, 08:24 PM

Default My Emerald Opus X-10 is here ! Review...

After a shipping saga which lasted four weeks, I finally got my Emerald Opus X-10 today. The cardboard box was wet and crashed...and I ordered the guitar with the gig bag instead of the hard case ! I was scared to open the box, but... the guitar was in immaculate condition.
Miracles of all carbon fiber instruments.
Played the guitar all afternoon and evening.
I already own the Opus X-30, which has a much larger (jumbo) body, and which I love for its great, warm, powerful, balanced sound, its playability, its gorgeous looks.
The Opus X-10 is a smaller copy of the X-30. Same gorgeous looks in a small, almost thin body (a bit smaller than a OM guitar).
Positives: the guitar, as all Emerald guitars, thanks to the Parker fretboard and the wonderful neck shape, plays like a dream.
The unplugged sound is very pleasant and balanced, surprisingly loud for such a small guitar. It is not the powerful and warm sound of the X-30, it is more subtle with a lot of sustain and very nice trebles. Plugged to my Acoustasonic, the B-Band A7 system sounds well, quite natural, I like it but I find that it is very quiet: I had to raise the volume of the amp to 3/4 of the total volume in order to get a decent volume from the amp (the LR baggs LB-6 system in my Opus X-30 is very "active", I just need to keep the volume of the amp to 20/30 % of the total volume). And.. yes.. I replaced the battery.
Negatives ? Well, apart the slight lack of volume of the B-Band system when the guitar is amplified, I just noticed that the truss-rod nut has been installed out of center in respect to the hole in the headstock, therefore it is almost impossible to insert a wrench and adjust the neck. I would have liked to make the neck more flat, but I could not. Well, I will keep it as it is (with a medium/high but acceptable neck relief) and I will shave a bit the saddle.
Overall, I find the Opus X-10 a great looking, sweet sounding guitar that fits well whoever plays fingerstyle, blues, and likes an intimate guitar very light and comfortable to play.
In terms of value for money, I still think that the big Opus X-30 is unbeatable. For 100 dollars more, you get a guitar which can be compared - in terms of craftmanship, materials,quality- to the top of the line Rainsong and CA guitars, at a price which is several hundred dollars less. The Opus X-30 sounds, in my opinion, like guitars which cost twice the money.
The Opus X-10 costs 100 dollars lees than the Opus X-30, it is less versatile, but still it is an extremely pleasant guitar with a sweet balanced sound. I will keep bot guitars and I am happy because they complete each other.

Thank you for your attention,

gerardo1000

Last edited by gerardo1000; 12-09-2005 at 08:37 PM. Reason: grammar errors
Old 12-09-2005, 09:00 PM

Congratulations! Looks like the stork has brought a welcome addition to the family!
Old 12-09-2005, 09:24 PM

Glad it finally got there, man
Old 12-09-2005, 10:49 PM

Ten years from now, when you're still enjoying your X-10, the extra four weeks that have been so frustrating recently will be a faded memory. But you'll still be enjoying making music with it.

I'm really glad that it finally arrived intact, that you like it, and took the time for us to get to share a bit of your experience. Thanks!

cotten

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber