The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-20-2020, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

Default Church worship band high-end guitars

I've been playing in the worship band at my church for awhile, and did background vocals before that. I have been on YouTube quite a bit picking up worship guitar skills and the like...and I have noticed that more than quite a few online worship "teachers" and the guitar players for some of the more popular church worship bands are playing a wide variety of very pricey instruments. Most of these cost more than the average worship guitarist could muster.

How are these instruments generally obtained? Manufacturer endorsements? Are they purchased by the churches they serve in?
Old 10-20-2020, 09:20 AM

Never underestimate the potential earning power and / or independent wealth of folks on YouTube or in real life.

Those instruments are bought by someone, could be a worship leader or could be a dog catcher, but there are people who have cubic dollars in this world.

My $0.02, add $9.97 and enjoy a sixer of Stone IPA while you contemplate, if you wish.
Old 10-20-2020, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozarkpicker View Post
I've been playing in the worship band at my church for awhile, and did background vocals before that. I have been on YouTube quite a bit picking up worship guitar skills and the like...and I have noticed that more than quite a few online worship "teachers" and the guitar players for some of the more popular church worship bands are playing a wide variety of very pricey instruments. Most of these cost more than the average worship guitarist could muster.

How are these instruments generally obtained? Manufacturer endorsements? Are they purchased by the churches they serve in?
I actually was just wondering the exact same thing the other day when I saw someone playing an Olson on stage. Of course playing in a worship band is not something these people do for a living so that referenced individual may be very very successful in their chosen field.
Old 10-20-2020, 09:25 AM
Charter Member

"Cubic dollars"...an interesting term. I tend to agree.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 10-20-2020, 09:29 AM

I've always assumed they could strategically write off some of it, as I've played with 2 church "bands." That said, one day the minister of my family's regular church walked in the room, popped open a case, and shows me a mint 914ce full Cindy inlays, Englemann top. Whole shabang. One of the elder's had bought it before medical issues and it just sat under his bed. So he just passed it off with no strings attached (pun intended.)
Old 10-20-2020, 09:35 AM
Charter Member

Honestly seeing expensive instruments on stage at a worship service wouldn't surprise me any more than seeing expensive cars in the church parking lot. Just because my job doesn't provide a Mercedes salary doesn't mean that someone else at my church can't easily afford one.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 10-20-2020, 09:43 AM

I play a Bourgeois and a Martin D41 at church. I've worked hard all my life and traded/bought/sold to get the instruments I WANT versus the instruments that I have to SETTLE for. It's all about prioritizing your toys. I see people driving brand new NICE vehicles and playing cheap guitars. My truck is several years old and paid for and that frees up money to spend on nice instruments. For lots of people it's all in prioritizing where you want to spend you "toy" money. I know that's not the case for everyone though.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 10-20-2020, 09:48 AM
Charter Member

I play a lot of different guitars at church. Some are (what I consider) expensive but it's all relative. The bottom line is most parishioners wouldn't know the difference between a Zager and a Martin...and probably wouldn't care as long as the people behind them are doing what they've been called to do.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 10-20-2020, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
I play a lot of different guitars at church. Some are (what I consider) expensive but it's all relative. The bottom line is most parishioners wouldn't know the difference between a Zager and a Martin...and probably wouldn't care as long as the people behind them are doing what they've been called to do.
Best post on the AGF in quite a while!!

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 10-20-2020, 11:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Hi Op

Who knows? YouTube distorts the reality of what most worship leaders in average churches play. I don't know any worship leaders of average churches with Manufacturer/builder endorsements.

I'm not sure how you arrived at a mean financial income level of 'average' worship leaders (whatever those are), and how they afford their instruments. They also buy houses and cars, have kids, etc.

In 1991 I commissioned my Olson with my family's blessing and cooperation. I took extra jobs in 1991-93, told people what I was doing and asked for $$$ for birthday, Christmas, etc., did gigs and paid for the Olson…which has been my primary instrument (including for worship). Best guitar decision I ever made.

My wife and kids helped by not demanding that we go out or do expensive things for two years. My Olson cost $3050.00 and has been my main guitar for over 27 years. I have since sought many ways to make it up to the family.

Worship leaders aren't a different species…
…and they are often guitar players first, who in addition to everything else in life, lead worship on weekends…and they suffer from GAS like the bulk of players here in the forum.

My wife and I just helped one of our sons purchase his life guitar (a great Guild F-40) which he'd otherwise not be able to own.

I've had guitar students over the years who due to generous grandparents or parents who seeing/hearing their potential, own better instruments.

I know several leaders who teach guitar, play in bands, but only a handful are full-time worship leaders in large churches. In fact I only know of 4 out of the 40 odd contemporary worship leaders in our community who have any salary/pay for doing it.

And I assure you, many churches have side musicians on stage who own top-o-the-line instruments, because they are also musicians!

I also know local worship leaders who teach school, run businesses, weld, build buildings & houses, work at Lowe's, are retired, sell cars, own mowing businesses, raise horses, raise kids and homeschool, etc who own pretty nice (but not extravagant guitars).

I know two locally, one is a Deputy Sheriff and the other who is a policeman who owned them long before they became law officers.

I know plenty who play mid-line Taylor, Martin, Gibson, Eastman, Recording King, Bedell, Breedlove, Seagull, etc.

So my point is, I don't find it unusual nor suspicious when I see players with better-than-average instruments.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 10-20-2020, 11:21 AM

There's a guy around here - got a decent-paying job, but nothing exceptional - who regularly plays his $5K+ Goodall at open mics...

Back in the '80s I worked with a female vocalist, and used my D-45 at many a church function...

My wife and I used matched Rainsong jumbos (6- and 12-string) for years at our last two church gigs - not in the same rarefied strata, but nothing to sneeze at either...

People play what they like...
Old 10-20-2020, 11:28 AM

i am a worship leader and i am a GASaholic. now for the 12 steps

though i lead worship, it is not my day job. i have been able to save enough to buy higher-end guitars because i like playing and the nicer tone keeps me engaged and more enthusiastic to keep up my craft. i also know a church that is doing well and chooses to invest in its music/worship ministry can purchase the guitar for the use of their worship leaders so a church has access to substantially more budget potentially than the average person. my other fellow worship leaders who lead on guitar (not all do), all have at least an all-solid wood Taylor at the very least but when i started leading worship in college i led on my trusty seagull 12-string with a Dean Markley soundhole pickup so we all started somewhere.

anyways, once you plug in, the tone goes to trash anyways so the sound guy will probably make you the quietest instrument within the band. you are basically playing to keep yourself in rhythm and to give cue to the band on where you (the leader) are taking the dynamics of the song - it's not so much for the congregation to hear. you can stop playing and most people won't know the difference if the other instruments keep playing.

Last edited by jcpharm; 10-20-2020 at 11:28 AM. Reason: typos
Old 10-20-2020, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

How expensive are we talking? Because even super high-end instruments like Hendersons and Olsens can be had for less than 30 grand. There are a lot of folks out there who buy boats and sports cars and vacation homes and 30 grand won't even put a dent in the purchase of those things. Not saying they can afford them or should buy them but I like to put it in perspective when it comes to other hobbies. Like TNFiddler said, I don't drive around in an 80k car. I don't really spend extravagantly on any other items. I have nothing that costs more than my most expensive guitar save for my vehicle. Then again, I don't play at any worship service.
Old 10-20-2020, 11:51 AM

My dos centavos?

If the pastor wants it to happen it will get done. I've played for many years on a worship team and was trusted with a blank check to go buy an electric guitar and an amp. I don't think I spent more than $700 for both the guitar and the amp. Now I get that electrics don't have the character variation that acoustics do- so your playing, pickups and pickup configuration, amp and pedalboard are where most of your tone comes from as an electric guitarist. My opinion on acoustic is that if you have a good setup and a good playing guitar, you don't need an instrument worth more than $1000 anyway. Once you plug that guitar in you lose that "multi-thousand $$$" tone anyway. Now, please don't flame me for that comment and keep in mind that I'm a tone-chaser too. I'm certainly aware of all the fancy signal chain options available for amplifying your acoustic guitar. That is not what I'm talking about here.

When you are playing in a loud environment with a loud electric guitarist, vocalists, keyboardists, bassist, drums- good enough acoustic tone is good enough....

Last edited by steelvibe; 10-20-2020 at 12:11 PM.
Old 10-20-2020, 11:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
How expensive are we talking? Because even super high-end instruments like Hendersons and Olsens can be had for less than 30 grand. There are a lot of folks out there who buy boats and sports cars and vacation homes and 30 grand won't even put a dent in the purchase of those things. Not saying they can afford them or should buy them but I like to put it in perspective when it comes to other hobbies. Like TNFiddler said, I don't drive around in an 80k car. I don't really spend extravagantly on any other items. I have nothing that costs more than my most expensive guitar save for my vehicle. Then again, I don't play at any worship service.
To be honest, most of the high end guitars I'm talking about are electrics. Some of the guys who play with Hillsong United, Bethel Music, Jesus Culture, Elevation Worship, and the like play premium-prices Custom Shop Fender/Gibson, PRS, Suhr and Veritas guitars...not to mention large racks of effects and boutique amps. That pales in comparison to most local church players that might have a nice Strat or Tele, and a few sundry pedals.

I'm certainly not, in any way criticizing these players personally or professionally...just pondering on how their means of aquisition.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion