The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-20-2020, 02:27 AM
Charter Member

This video I found on YouTube gives the best representation to my ears of the difference I get between Tusq and bone saddles on my guitars.

I've replaced Tusq saddles with bone on 4 guitars. I've found Tusq saddles had a little more attack, were brighter and gave more individual note separation than bone. Bone was mellower than tusk and blended the strings more when strumming. Plastic saddles were mellower than bone and bone mellower than Tusq. I have liked bone the best so far on my guitars for its projection and warmth. I have found Tusq saddles generally a little 'harsh'.

Replacing saddles is an easy experiment - the trick is to never work on the original saddle so you always have something to go back to!!!

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 10-20-2020, 03:40 AM

I had a Furch OM 22CR that I took to a tech for repair. I asked him to
replace the original tusq saddle with a new tusq saddle (I'd sanded the
original down too far). He put a bone saddle in, and this made the guitar
much too bright.

Furch supplied all of their guitars with tusq and the sound from the
Furch guitars I've had has always been more balanced with tusq saddles.
MM Blues resonator
Seagull S6 Original
Old 10-20-2020, 04:16 AM

I lock stock bone and titanium bridge pins with a PlateMate.
Old 10-20-2020, 06:57 AM

Bone or tusq for me. I didn't change my urea nut on my Yamaha, as mentioned doesn't make much difference in sound, I don't think most outside would actually tell the difference.
Old 10-20-2020, 08:27 AM

As some other said, it depends on the guitar...
While bone, micarta or tusk will certainly
positively replace any cheap guitar saddle,
it is not sure a mid-range guitar need its
saddle to be changed : The builder should
have made its homework.
Old 10-20-2020, 08:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening_crow View Post
That's why I keep the stock Tusq on my J-15.
Tusq seems to work better on the Gibson's I've owned. Tried a bone saddle in a SJ-200 I used to own and it dampened the tone so I put the Tusq back in it. That being said...I like bone saddles in my other guitars.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!

Last edited by llew; 10-20-2020 at 09:27 AM.
Old 10-20-2020, 09:26 AM
Charter Member

I had always been happy with the tone of my 2000 Martin D40. When it needed fretwork - five or six years ago - I brought it to a well respected guitar repair tech http://www.diburro.com/ in New Hampshire f. While in his shop, I asked his opinion regarding saddle materials. (My Martin came stock with a micarta saddle). He did an interesting demo with two pieces of saddle materials - one micarta, one bone - he dropped each (one at a time) from about 6-8 inches onto a hard surface (a plate/dish if I remember correctly). The point was to hear the sound each one made. The bone made a noticeably louder "tink". Every time. He fitted the guitar with a new bone saddle and the guitar's tone and sustain definitely improved.
Old 10-20-2020, 10:14 AM

Bright guitars like Taylor, Furch seems to work well generally with Tusq saddles. Martin seems to prefer bone as the Martin tone is darker sounding, in addition to their bracing generally more heavily braced.
000JR-10E Shawn Mendes
Old 10-20-2020, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain1231 View Post
Bright guitars like Taylor, Furch seems to work well generally with Tusq saddles. Martin seems to prefer bone as the Martin tone is darker sounding, in addition to their bracing generally more heavily braced.
Taylor's gone from bone (for their higher end) to Tusq and now Micarta is pretty ubiquitous in their line, even up to the high dollar builds. I think I read somewhere that they went to Micarta because it sounded best with their ES2 system whose sensors sit right behind the saddle and may even contact it (unsure of the last one).

But as others have said, "improvement" is highly guitar-centric. I put a bone saddle on my K14c recently and while I didn't have the foresight to do a before/after video with fresh strings I can say it sounds great with the bone saddle and doesn't sound too bright compared to what I recall from before. But that guitar also doesn't have an ES2 so I can't compare the effect of that aspect on electronics.

I just purchased a 2015 Custom which has a Micarta saddle+ES2 that sounds fantastic unplugged, but the first time I plugged it in sounded very bass heavy, to the point where I had to turn the bass knob so far down to tame it that in order to lose the "boominess" I ended up losing too much bass. My amp's knobs were at 12 o'clock so I guess I could have dialed it down at the amp. I'll experiment some. But I did just received a bone saddle for it, so on next string change, if I can't dial in a good plugged in tone, I'll see if changing from Micarta to Bone makes a tonal difference on the ES2.
-Organic Sounds Select Guitars
-Down Home Guitars
Old 10-20-2020, 10:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakewoodM32Fan View Post

I just purchased a 2015 Custom which has a Micarta saddle+ES2 that sounds fantastic unplugged, but the first time I plugged it in sounded very bass heavy, to the point where I had to turn the bass knob so far down to tame it that in order to lose the "boominess" I ended up losing too much bass. My amp's knobs were at 12 o'clock so I guess I could have dialed it down at the amp. I'll experiment some. But I did just received a bone saddle for it, so on next string change, if I can't dial in a good plugged in tone, I'll see if changing from Micarta to Bone makes a tonal difference on the ES2.
That boomy bass could be an impedance problem between your guitar and your amp. Ask the question in the Acoustic Amplification section of the forum as I'm sure someone there will be able to solve the issue for you.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 10-20-2020, 01:37 PM
Charter Member

Let's ask Andy !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBLxV7XO_Ok
Old 10-20-2020, 03:27 PM

I changed from Tusq to a bone saddle on a new Simon & Patrick mini-jumbo (spruce-rosewood). I could not tell any tonal differences but the sustain was markedly improved (ie, longer) with the bone.
Old 10-20-2020, 05:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FingahPickah View Post
I had always been happy with the tone of my 2000 Martin D40. When it needed fretwork - five or six years ago - I brought it to a well respected guitar repair tech http://www.diburro.com/ in New Hampshire f. While in his shop, I asked his opinion regarding saddle materials. (My Martin came stock with a micarta saddle). He did an interesting demo with two pieces of saddle materials - one micarta, one bone - he dropped each (one at a time) from about 6-8 inches onto a hard surface (a plate/dish if I remember correctly). The point was to hear the sound each one made. The bone made a noticeably louder "tink". Every time. He fitted the guitar with a new bone saddle and the guitar's tone and sustain definitely improved.
ALL the above having been said: my X braced Taylor 324e (Mahogany top/ Blackwood b & s) has the stock Micarta saddle and sounds great (the only mahogany top guitar I ever really liked enough to buy) I wonder what bone may or may not do for this guitar.
https://reverb.com/item/7332337-tayl...nian-blackwood
Old 10-20-2020, 05:51 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdmind View Post
TB, I think your Guild D120 comes with a bone saddle?
Yes, I just checked, it does.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-20-2020, 05:59 PM

Some of the bone saddles in my guitars seem very prone to developing a groove at the spot that the string makes contact. Typically this is on the higher, thinnest strings. The groove sometimes makes no difference, and sometimes creates a problem in the way the string rings. I have experienced this with what are likely cheaper saddles, but also with saddles on high end guitars, as well as a Colossi saddle. It has made me rethink whether I always prefer bone as saddle material.

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion