The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-13-2020, 10:43 AM
Charter Member

Default Martin Custom Shop orders

I am considering a custom build from the Martin CS. It's close to a year wait at this point. Just wondering what experiences you guys may have had, good or bad? I am thinking of doing this through Maury. Any words of warning?
Old 10-13-2020, 12:47 PM

This has come up several times in the past. I remember one thread that went on for a few pages. There were some real words of wisdom in it that changed my mind about going that route. You may want to do a search for it.
Old 10-13-2020, 01:09 PM
Charter Member

I placed a custom order with a Martin when the new year rolled around. Shortly after the factory closed. When Martin reopened i was told it would be another 10 months to a year wait.
I never had to wait for a guitar and the extended waiting period added a tinge of anxiety for me. (You cant return a custom). So I decided to cancel the order.

it was the best acoustic guitar related decision i ever made. I decided to look around for a guitar that would check all the boxes and that was available now. I wound up with a guitar that I love.

Hope if works out for you
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 10-13-2020, 01:31 PM
Charter Member

I've been tempted by customs but the anticipation and anxiety of a long wait is not something that would agree with me. It's also the reason I haven't put down a deposit on a PreWar IHD that I really want. There are a heck of a lot of Martins out there and you might find what you're looking for in a dealer custom, or close to it.
Old 10-13-2020, 01:49 PM
Charter Member

If you do end up ordering one, just make sure you go through the spec sheet multiple times with a fine tooth comb and ensure every last detail is correct. Have seen a few stories on here and elsewhere of people missing one little line item that greatly impacts the final guitar that is delivered. Also might be worth taking a look at some of the dealers who regularly have a lot of customs in stock (LAGS, Guitar Hotline, etc) to see if anyone has a guitar close to what you're looking for...a year is a long time to wait.
Old 10-13-2020, 02:07 PM

I had a good experience, but I am a very detailed person and knew exactly what I wanted and knew the reasoning behind my customizations. So I never had any doubts about what I would end up with, and I caught the mistakes on the spec sheet before the build.

I think done right, you end up with the best value in a new guitar. Done wrong, experimenting with woods and bracing and such, you end up with a unique instrument that may not sound great and no one else wants to take off your hands.

I ordered mine nearly three years ago. I was told the wait was 8 months. I got the guitar in six months. However, if I was thinking about it now, I would wait until their workload lessened. I also read a rumor that they’re going to allow Authentic bracing on their Customs in the future, if that’s something that might interest you.
Old 10-13-2020, 02:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archerscreek View Post
I had a good experience, but I am a very detailed person and knew exactly what I wanted and knew the reasoning behind my customizations. So I never had any doubts about what I would end up with, and I caught the mistakes on the spec sheet before the build.

I think done right, you end up with the best value in a new guitar. Done wrong, experimenting with woods and bracing and such, you end up with a unique instrument that may not sound great and no one else wants to take off your hands.

I ordered mine nearly three years ago. I was told the wait was 8 months. I got the guitar in six months. However, if I was thinking about it now, I would wait until their workload lessened. I also read a rumor that they’re going to allow Authentic bracing on their Customs in the future, if that’s something that might interest you.
I heard that rumor over at UMGF and if true, would be a game changer! I already have one guitar with a modern neck/truss rod and authentic bracing (Outlaw 17), I would probably go custom shop for a 12 fret rosewood authentic braced beast with a 1 3/4" neck (sorry Silly Moustache!)
Old 10-13-2020, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archerscreek View Post
...you end up with a unique instrument that may not sound great and no one else wants to take off your hands.
This is a great point. If you get something that's super customized to you and then fall out of love with it, it can be really tough to sell. Not that resale should be your top consideration with a custom guitar, but perhaps not something to discount entirely either.
Old 10-13-2020, 02:28 PM

Depending on what you want to build, you may have good luck searching some of the notable authorized dealers, who always have some Martin Custom instruments in stock that the shops spec'd. They often sell for less than a one-off custom built to your specifications. Just a thought to consider.
Old 10-13-2020, 04:17 PM
Charter Member

Thanks guys! What I am considering is a standard D18 but with mahogany top. I have seen a few and there are videos on YouTube. I want a mahogany topped Martin guitar with 1 3/4" nut. LA Guitar Sales has a D15S but they cost almost as much as the D18 build plus they are 12 fretters with slotted headstocks. The cost between a D18 CS with mahogany top isn't much more than the D15S. Everything else is the same, so all I'm changing is the top wood.
Old 10-13-2020, 04:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
Thanks guys! What I am considering is a standard D18 but with mahogany top. I have seen a few and there are videos on YouTube. I want a mahogany topped Martin guitar with 1 3/4" nut. LA Guitar Sales has a D15S but they cost almost as much as the D18 build plus they are 12 fretters with slotted headstocks. The cost between a D18 CS with mahogany top isn't much more than the D15S. Everything else is the same, so all I'm changing is the top wood.
I would think that wouldn't be too hard to sell if you didn't like it. However, some folks might see the mahogany top and think it's D15 specs instead of standard series specs.

Sounds like a great guitar, maybe add Golden Era bracing for the extra 2-300 bucks you've got a winner!

Then you might choose to upgrade to Genuine mahogany, 12/4 neck, .....

That's my problem I'd never know where to stop!
Old 10-13-2020, 04:21 PM
Charter Member

I ordered one through the custom shop only to sell it a short time after I received it.I've had better luck finding "in house" customs that the dealer had built by the custom shop. Jon @ MFG used to be really good at spec-ing them out. Mark at Reno's is also very good. Lots of other dealers including Gruhn have done well with these too.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 10-13-2020, 05:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
I ordered one through the custom shop only to sell it a short time after I received it.I've had better luck finding "in house" customs that the dealer had built by the custom shop. Jon @ MFG used to be really good at spec-ing them out. Mark at Reno's is also very good. Lots of other dealers including Gruhn have done well with these too.
What was your custom and what didn't you end up liking about it if you don't mind answering?
Old 10-13-2020, 05:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
What was your custom and what didn't you end up liking about it if you don't mind answering?
I ordered a CS D-18GE (can't remember if it was before or after Martin dropped the standard line D-18GE?) in a 12 fret configuration. It just never sounded like I thought it would. Build quality wasn't an issue...it just wasn't what I was expecting or wanted. In truth it was probably more me than the guitar? It sold quickly and I ended up getting an older 14 fret D-18GE which is most likely what I should have done to start with?

Not knocking Martin's CS at all. They do good work. And the two customs I have are great guitars.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 10-13-2020, 06:26 PM

I've owned 5 custom shop Martins, but didn't order a single one. Each came from the same dealer, and most arrived during the annual Martin Event, where the factory sales rep brings in a number of well-appointed guitars in various sizes / woods.
One had pretty simple changes (Engellman topped 00-18), a couple were more extravagant. I still own the 00-30 that was my first custom. I've sold all except that and the latest OM-18 Sinker, which were better than the others (but all excellent).

I'd hesitate to order sight-unseen, hoping for a stellar instrument. Not to say they would not be, but when I have them in-hand, I can judge them on their own merits.

You tend to get a better-made instrument overall IMO going the custom shop route, as the better builders are assigned to them.

Martin Custom Authentic 000-28 1937

Martin 1944 00-18

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion