The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-12-2020, 09:53 PM
Charter Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC1702 View Post
The latest versions of Android removed the ability to move apps to an SD card. You can only use it for storage of photos and videos, etc. So, if you want or need a lot of apps it's important to have sufficient internal storage. My current phone has 32gb and I'm near the limit.
I am beginning to understand this point, but the nomenclature is still foreign to me... when you're talking about internal storage, you're talking about the SD card, or the "fixed" 2GB number for my RAM, or is it something that I can actually expand or save space in by using the Cloud?

I know, I'm a rank beginner at this stuff, but just read a few of the early replies from the Luddites and you'll see that I'm actually staggering out of the cave!

I do appreciate all the replies, especially those are directed at solving the dilemma...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 10-13-2020, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
I am beginning to understand this point, but the nomenclature is still foreign to me... when you're talking about internal storage, you're talking about the SD card, or the "fixed" 2GB number for my RAM, or is it something that I can actually expand or save space in by using the Cloud?

I know, I'm a rank beginner at this stuff, but just read a few of the early replies from the Luddites and you'll see that I'm actually staggering out of the cave!

I do appreciate all the replies, especially those are directed at solving the dilemma...
It's exactly like your computer (it is a computer). RAM is used by the operating system to put programs and services it uses often so programs can work and work faster. You don't have access to do that, but the more RAM you have, the more programs can run at once or have open at once.

There is separate storage on the phone that's like your hard drive on a computer. By default, that's where apps you download are stored and things like pictures are stored.

The SD card you'll put in is extra storage. Transfer your pics and music there so that more apps can be put on the internal storage.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 10-13-2020, 12:24 PM
Charter Member

Thanks, rob!!!

As I mentioned earlier, I am only about 5th grade level with computers... just never really learned all that much about them because I haven't used them all that much... and there was a more than a touch of the "luddite" mentality, as well.

I appreciate your explanation, although I had to read it VERY slowly and CAREFULLY to be sure I "got it"...!!!

All your assistance and comments are extremely helpful,,, if only to have me consider what I want to do...

Thanks, folks!
are near...

Old 10-13-2020, 02:01 PM
Charter Member

I love having a phone and the internet with me all the time, but the best thing (for me anyhow) is having a fairly decent camera wherever I go - actually a better quality one than my first 2-3 digital cameras when they first came out.

Sadly, that means a large flat screen, at least in the brand/model I use anyway. I always liked flip phones, ala Jack Bauer. When he snapped his phone shut, there was no mistaking he was DONE with whoever was bugging him.
Old 10-13-2020, 02:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinnitus View Post
I love having a phone and the internet with me all the time, but the best thing (for me anyhow) is having a fairly decent camera wherever I go - actually a better quality one than my first 2-3 digital cameras when they first came out.

Sadly, that means a large flat screen, at least in the brand/model I use anyway. I always liked flip phones, ala Jack Bauer. When he snapped his phone shut, there was no mistaking he was DONE with whoever was bugging him.
I finally switched from flip to smart about three years ago. You could buy
the original iphone SE then, so my phone is still pretty small. I like to take
pictures as I go, and got tired of not having my camera and having to settle
for a 1 megapixel flip phone picture - I'd pretty much always have my phone.

-Mike
Old 10-13-2020, 02:29 PM
Charter Member

Note, you can add and delete apps from your phone as you please. So if you put it on your phone and you don't like it delete it. No harm no foul. If you want an app and your phone tells you there isn't enough space then look for an app on your phone you never use and delete it to make space. The main thing about these phones is to understand that to learn and deal with them you just have to muck around on them and try things. That's mainly why most people don't try to explain things about them. Most just screw around with them and either figure it out, give up or somehow it just happens. So for someone to help you they'd have to screw around with your phone and they do it enough on their phone they aren't up to do it on other peoples phones. Plus apps change all the time whether you want them to or not. Even your phone gets updated at times and is changed on you. Just don't make very many changes at once so if it messes things up you can figure out how to get it right again.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 10-13-2020, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
...apps change all the time whether you want them to or not. Even your phone gets updated at times and is changed on you.
This is important. We are accustomed to having a tool that does a job until we are finished with it, then we out it away or get rid. Smartphones, like iPads and computers are a more fluid prospect, one day it's one tool and the next day it has changed and a feature has ceased to function or appeared unexpectedly. This means constant learning becomes part of standing still and you will need either to design your own workflow or buy into someone else's.

Some things are initially free but then become a paid service but there is a lively community of friendly people who like to co-operate and promote free or very cheap apps. Some apps cease to function when the central operating system structure gets updated and the app designers don't keep up but there is always someone in the same position as yourself who can advise.

None of this is a problem if you are aware of the possibilities and drawbacks.
Old 10-13-2020, 04:30 PM

As far the AGF app, people here have recommended Tapatalk app to access it. I find it works well, but I only use it on my iPad as the phone screen is too small.

Welcome to the 21st century

The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time.
Old 10-13-2020, 08:34 PM
Charter Member

Thanks, again, for the replies... learning more and more... especially about "not figuring everything out" and just going on to figure out whatever the next thing I want the thing do...

Getting closer to putting music from my pc into the phone, seems the card-reader with a bigger SD card is the method. My current questions are about that..

I know that some apps can be on that SD card section, and I have only 2GB RAM on the phone (that so far is not expandable), so should I be concern about loading a Music Player? Is it going to take up a bunch of space on the RAM, or just on the SD card?

Can the app ONLY be 'on" when I want to use it, or is it going to run all the time?

Any good recommendations for a music player in an Android A01?

All my music is currently stored in Media Monkey, and I've noticed that they have an app for the Android... although I'm not thrilled with the user interface of MM, using that app would certainly make the process much easier, and, with a big enough SD card (256?), I might not even have to convert all the files to mp3's, as MM will play FLAC files, Lossless, and WAV files...

Any thoughts, people?
are near...

Old 10-13-2020, 10:34 PM

Quote:
I know that some apps can be on that SD card section, and I have only 2GB RAM on the phone (that so far is not expandable), so should I be concern about loading a Music Player? Is it going to take up a bunch of space on the RAM, or just on the SD card?
The 2GB of RAM is essentially "working" memory. That's not where you store anything, that's just memory the phone uses to run. More RAM means you can run more apps at once, or apps that hog more memory like some video games. It's not expandable, but you don't need to worry about it.

For the "permanent" storage where you load apps or data like music files, the A01 comes with either 16 or 32GB. You can find out how much by going to Settings (gear icon after you swipe down from top), and find a section that says Storage (or on my S8 it's under Device Care, then Storage). The phone operating system itself takes up some of that, then your apps, and things like pictures, videos and music.

You don't need to put apps on the SD card. My phone has dozens of apps (over 100) and they only take up 9GB. Just load whatever apps you want onto the phone normally, and then use the SD card for your music.

Quote:
Can the app ONLY be 'on" when I want to use it, or is it going to run all the time?
You don't even need to worry about this. The phone will manage that itself, and put unused apps to "sleep" if you're not using them. Music apps do tend to run "in the background", so you can do other things with your phone while the music is playing (even turn the phone "off"), but you can just go back to the app, stop the music, and you're good.

Quote:
Any good recommendations for a music player in an Android A01?

All my music is currently stored in Media Monkey, and I've noticed that they have an app for the Android... although I'm not thrilled with the user interface of MM, using that app would certainly make the process much easier, and, with a big enough SD card (256?), I might not even have to convert all the files to mp3's, as MM will play FLAC files, Lossless, and WAV files...
And after all that, I have yet to find a music player app I really like. The one on my phone is called Musicolet, because it had some features I needed for playlists, but it's a bit clunky. I tried 3 or 4 before that, installed them, decided they sucked, and deleted them. Like Mr. Jelly says, no harm to install and then uninstall if you don't like it. Try MM and see how it works--not having to convert and already being familiar, it might be easier than trying to find something new.

Many paid apps have a trial period or "lite" version you can install free to try before paying.
Old 10-14-2020, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Bear in mind, though, what I mentioned in an earlier post - WAV files don't have metadata, i.e. the song title, album name, artist name, etc. Android music players will play all sorts of formats, but I suspect you will have to open the files one at a time. You may find one that will play all the audio files in a folder, but really it becomes quite a messy process.

Converting to MP3 isn't all about saving space, it's also about allowing the music to be organised properly.

Getting those tags into the MP3s though, that could be a challenge. Probably there is some tool out there that will tag MP3s based on filename, directory name, and maybe also will look for a track number at the start of the filename.

Otherwise it might be quicker to use something like AudioGrabber to create MP3s directly from the CDs.
Old 10-14-2020, 05:28 AM

Your phone actually have three types of memory. An analogy that a friend used to describe computer memory is to think of a kitchen.

Your RAM is like your counter-space. Things are there only for the recipes you are currently working on. Nothing is permanently stored there. Obviously, more counter space means you can make more recipes at once. (You have 2GB of "counter space.")

Your cabinets are like the computer's internal storage. That's were all the stuff goes when you aren't using it. You would put your utensils (apps) in the cabinets close at hand. You might use them every day but you keep them there out of the way when you're doing other stuff. If you have enough cabinet space (internal storage), you may not need an SD card (I'm not sure how much your phone has of this.)

Your SD card is like a pantry. You'd put a bunch of ingredients, infrequently used items (music, movies, files, etc) in there. You'd normally get something out of the pantry every day but most of the stuff just sits in there.

It's not a perfect analogy but I thought it was pretty good.

Last edited by RedJoker; 10-14-2020 at 05:39 AM.
Old 10-14-2020, 06:40 AM

Default moving files from pc to phone

Moving files has become easier (Windows 10) than the earlier drag and drop method. Once the phone is connected to the PC it should show up in connected devices. After right clicking (mouse or trackpad) on the file of choice (mp3 music etc.) a small insert window opens with a list of choices. One choice is "send to" with a > on the right side. Moving the cursor to that > will open up the devices and folders list and your phone should show up as one of the choices. Clicking on your phone will then send (copy) the file you are trying to get installed on your phone.

One my phone (Android OS) the mp3 automatically installed the file on the phones SD card. Not sure on other phones if this would be the same. You might need to go into settings and direct the location of the transferred file.
Old 10-14-2020, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

This sounds so simple, yet I'm getting caught in the "do it right" mode...

Just the directions about my PC give me pause as to whether I actually know what you're telling me to do... I am entirely sure that any problem is with me, no equipment or instruction... I'm just kind of a dork with a computer, still... maybe my 5th grade level estimate is a bar set too high?!

I do have Windows 10, and my phone is a Samsung Galaxy A01, entry level through Verizon... I'm learning more and more as I go...

Thanks!
are near...

Old 10-14-2020, 03:40 PM

Default USB cable

Hello again. I just want to make sure when the word "connect" to PC is used we are talking about using the proper cable to connect from the PC to the Phone.

This normally a USB cable. I'm assuming your phone came with a USB cable for charging the battery. A charge only cable is just 2 wire and will not transfer data (files, photo's etc) I doubt Samsung would include a charge only cable.

I would first connect the phone with the cable supplied and observe the PC screen. You should see a small window pop up asking something like "what do you want to do when this device is connecting?" at that point you now know the 2 devices are communicating.

I would do the old Google search "how to transfer Mp3 files to my phone (enter model number here) also You Tube should have some videos covering your questions. There are many people helping other people with their expertise.

Check back if you still have questions.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic