The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-30-2020, 08:59 AM

Default Martin J65M

Yesterday, I went to Carter Vintage in Nashville. I was looking at guitars with a friend. I caught a vision of an unusual looking Martin in a flock of usual looking Martins. Was a J65M. Maple back and sides and blond back and sides. It is a jumbo shape with a "tight waste". The guitar was beautifully set up (just like everything in Carter's). The guitar played wonderfully, hard to describe lighter than most Martins or Gibsons, but not as light as a Taylor. The tone was unique, like a morph of a Martin and Gibson, maybe a tad on the the Gibson side. Then, you would look and see that traditional Martin headstock and get a little cognitive dissonance. This was neither, yet both. Given that my wife is retiring on Friday, this is NOT a good time to get GAS, but yesterday afternoon I put a hold on that beauty and will pick it up Thursday. My friend came very close to putting a hold on that J65 yesterday, but got distracted from work and never got the call in. I did offer him the instrument. With some relief, he said he thought I should have the instrument. We jokingly talked about having joint custody. Have not been this stoked about an instrument like this in a long time. BTW, I have been a lurker, but this is my first post.
Tony
Old 09-30-2020, 10:21 AM

Welcome TBear. The J-65 (or J-65M) is the maple version of rosewood/spruce J-40, which I owned for many years. I have not played a J-65 - they are pretty rare in the wild - but your description of the tone fits with what I would expect. I liked the tighter waist as it helped the guitar sit better on my right leg, back when I played that way. These days I use a strap even when seated.

Enjoy!
Old 09-30-2020, 01:34 PM

Congratulations. Feeling a bit jealous! Only 449 made and a good price (based on the only other one I’ve seen for sale recently, in Japan, asking about 3 times the price Carter’s had yours listed for).

Just have to be content with my HJ-28 I guess!

Enjoy it. Best wishes,
Clive.
Old 09-30-2020, 05:19 PM

Makes me wonder why Martin doesn't make more Maple body models.

They've underutilized that beautiful big Grand J jumbo body with it's 17' lower bout - can't think of any reason why it also wouldn't be a killer guitar with Maple back and sides - think Gibson SJ-200 and new Guild F-55 Maple.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 10-02-2020, 10:04 AM

I picked up the J65M yesterday. The tone is full with very clear articulation, at least partly due to the maple back and sides. The neck is somewhat flatter than most Martins or Gibsons I have played. It feels really comfortable to me. I am in the process of writing a new song on it and the J65M seems to fit that role well. I will post some pictures this afternoon, if I can.
Old 10-02-2020, 02:14 PM
Charter Member

The J model is one of Martin's secrets. If more players tried them, they'd be very popular! Very versatile, & tone to die for!
I haven't tried the J65, but have a J-40. Enjoy!!
Steve
Old 10-02-2020, 02:19 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Sounds like a wonderful find! Looking forward to seeing some pics. Congrats!

Old 10-02-2020, 03:25 PM
Charter Member

These are great guitars. I think Martin never sold enough maple guitars to keep them in the lineup. They are best known for rosewood and mahogany.
Old 10-02-2020, 04:18 PM

Many congratulations, T-Bear! Look forward to seeing the pics.
Old 10-02-2020, 06:12 PM

The J guitars are fun. They were made by putting D-28S size and length sides into a bender the shape of the old F series Martins. The first guitar I ever built was a J-65 maple, using "second" prototype profiled and partially bent sides I bought from Martin. I made the back out of a chunk of quilted maple I had left over from making a jewelry box. I think that was back in the late '80s (?). I still play it. Serial mumber 001:

Old 10-02-2020, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H165 View Post
The J guitars are fun. They were made by putting D-28S size and length sides into a bender the shape of the old F series Martins. The first guitar I ever built was a J-65 maple, using "second" prototype profiled and partially bent sides I bought from Martin. I made the back out of a chunk of quilted maple I had left over from making a jewelry box. I think that was back in the late '80s (?). I still play it. Serial mumber 001:
Looks fantastic too!

It was Chris Martin himself in 1984 that came up with the idea of using the full 4 7/8" dreadnought depth on the existing 0000/M body to create the J-14 fret.

Diane Ponzio was given the rare privilege by Martin of designing her own signature series guitar - not once, but twice - and both times she chose the J-14 fret body.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 10-05-2020, 07:01 AM

I am new to this site. Been struggling to figure how to upload pictures. Here is a link to the pictures.
https://photos.google.com/album/AF1Q...xM8FA-nWh_WPF4

Sorry for the inconvenience. Technology impaired here. If someone would PM me and explain the process, I will be happy to post them directly.
Old 10-07-2020, 08:30 AM

I have done some thinking as to why the J65M is "not highly desirable". As this instrument is kind of a hybrid, Martin manufacturing and bracing, with Gibson design features, the sound of the J65 is hybrid also, It sounds like a morph between a Martin and a Gibson, a bit on the Gibson side. While this is very satisfying to me, the hard core Martin and Gibson aficionados I think see this instrument as not true to either the Martin or Gibson heritage. Compromise, is seen at diluting the brand rather than creating something new and exciting. I remember my first reaction when I saw the J65 nestled in a group of standard Martin D models, "What the hell is this?" I am a bluegrasser and grew up on D28s. I picked up the J65M and strummed it and thought, "My that is satisfying." It just felt weird, a Gibson looking and sounding jumbo with a Martin headstock. But, the hook was set and I put it on hold and bought it two days later. Great instrument, probably Americana in feel. Will be great for singer song writers to play their songs at my studio or at jam sessions.
Old 10-07-2020, 09:35 AM

I had one of these for years. Sold it to get the next must have thing, and have always missed it. Really great strummer for sure! Congrats!

Good Guys:
Howlin Bob,skiproberts,Dustinfurlow, jherr, sevenpalms, Methos1979, Flat Top, bgpicker, Luria, TobyWalker, JerryM,jonfields45,eljay,buddyhu,funky2x
Old 10-07-2020, 12:32 PM

I have owned one and really liked it, but I LOVE the SWJGT models more....I have owned a pair of J40 models, as well....And again, the SWJGT sounds way lovelier to my ears....The Cherry back and sides & the "reclaimed" Sitka spruce top are a match made in heaven.....
I own 2 of them, and I have one of them for sale currently in the classifieds.....
Martin SWDGT
Martin SWJGT
Martin MMV Dread
Martin 000-21

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion