The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-09-2019, 03:50 AM

Default Acoustic pre amp or TC bodyrez?

I have acoustic guitars equipped with a matrix infinity peizo pickup and a lr Bragg’s m1 active magnetic pickup

I plug these guitars straight into my acoustic amplifier (fishman loudbox mini) and use a Behringer ADI21 pre amp which makes my guitars sound amazing (very natural)

I was thinking of getting a tc bodyrez or boss AD2 pedal to use instead of my Behringer pre amp. I feel maybe it could do the same thing as my Behringer pre amp but get a good sound more easily and quickly.

So my question is do you think the bodyrez or AD2 could sound as natural as my Behringer ADI21 or even more natural when going into an acoustic amplifier?
Old 11-09-2019, 09:28 AM

Most effective preamp is the Tonedexter. Nothing else does the job as well, if the natural sound of your guitar (as if coming through a microphone) is what you are after IMHO.
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 11-09-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfirob View Post
Most effective preamp is the Tonedexter. Nothing else does the job as well, if the natural sound of your guitar (as if coming through a microphone) is what you are after IMHO.
Yup that’s what I’m after but it’s a bit to expensive for me unless I can find a good value on one used. I also play with a sound hole pickup and the tonedexter stated it’s for peizo pick ups
Old 11-09-2019, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisisme View Post
I have acoustic guitars equipped with a matrix infinity peizo pickup and a lr Bragg’s m1 active magnetic pickup

I plug these guitars straight into my acoustic amplifier (fishman loudbox mini) and use a Behringer ADI21 pre amp which makes my guitars sound amazing (very natural)

I was thinking of getting a tc bodyrez or boss AD2 pedal to use instead of my Behringer pre amp. I feel maybe it could do the same thing as my Behringer pre amp but get a good sound more easily and quickly.

So my question is do you think the bodyrez or AD2 could sound as natural as my Behringer ADI21 or even more natural when going into an acoustic amplifier?
I owned the BodyRez and returned it. it was good, but after trying the boss AD-2 I liked that a little more. They are both good units, but the Boss offers a little more in options for tweaking. They both offer the ability to do quick changes in sound. I think they may sound a little more processed than the ADi21.
Hope this helps.
Old 11-10-2019, 04:58 AM

Quote:

I really like the Boss AD-2. The main reason I bought it was for the Notch Filter as I like my monitors hot, and even with a soundhole plug, I was getting some feedback with my Maton. First gig......problem solved! The reverb (Ambience) is pretty good as well. I don't think I'll be touching the Resonance knob when using it with my Maton, but it may come in handy for other guitars.

Old 11-10-2019, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larren View Post
I really like the Boss AD-2. The main reason I bought it was for the Notch Filter as I like my monitors hot, and even with a soundhole plug, I was getting some feedback with my Maton. First gig......problem solved! The reverb (Ambience) is pretty good as well. I don't think I'll be touching the Resonance knob when using it with my Maton, but it may come in handy for other guitars.

I really like your set up. Simple and gets the job done. What pick up is in your Maton?
Old 11-10-2019, 07:23 AM

I am using custom IRs loaded into an HX Stomp, but I have previously owned the AD-2, Bodyrez, ToneDexter, and an older Zoom AC3.

I think the AD-2 and Bodyrez are something you will like, or find inflexible. Both are targeted at piezo pickups.

To my ear the Zoom is more flexible, includes IRs for piezos and magnetics, and has a great selection of effects. The newest incarnation, Zoom A1, is inexpensive too. To my ear, Zoom uses the same effects processing across their entire product line and there is no danger in buying their cheapest option given it has a tough enough physical design for your usage.

ToneDexter is the best but as noted is just a first class preamp for a pure magnetic pickup.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 11-10-2019 at 07:28 AM.
Old 11-10-2019, 07:37 AM
Charter Member

I owned/used both in the distant past. I much preferred the TC BodyRez for its tone and simplicity. I did like the AD-2 but only for the battery power and the notch. I was not a fan of their Acoustic Resonance effect at all, even on the Boss VE-8 we ended up using for almost a year.

So between those two I'd say the TC if you're just playing at home at lower volumes and want to sweeten your tone. The Red Eye Fire Eye is also good for that - very simple and a great tone. If you're playing out somewhere or at higher volumes and find you have a problem frequency the notch of the AD-2 is very helpful.

I did an A/B demo-review video on both of them head-to-head. If you click on the review link down in my sig line and then scroll down you'll see another link to the review/demo post that has the video embedded in it.
Old 11-10-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
I am using custom IRs loaded into an HX Stomp, but I have previously owned the AD-2, Bodyrez, ToneDexter, and an older Zoom AC3.

I think the AD-2 and Bodyrez are something you will like, or find inflexible. Both are targeted at piezo pickups.

To my ear the Zoom is more flexible, includes IRs for piezos and magnetics, and has a great selection of effects. The newest incarnation, Zoom A1, is inexpensive too. To my ear, Zoom uses the same effects processing across their entire product line and there is no danger in buying their cheapest option given it has a tough enough physical design for your usage.

ToneDexter is the best but as noted is just a first class preamp for a pure magnetic pickup.
Quote:

I’m not really into guitar modelling like on the zoom and aura as I want more the sound of my guitar coming out not a replication of another. Something that would emulate a mic a bit more would be better. Plus I play weissenborn (lap slide) aswel as a normal acoustic so guitar modelling would not sound right with this. I had a xvive Mike pedal but that just emulates other guitars so I have no use for that pedal. The tonetexter seems the best option but don’t want to spend the money On it at the minute. I mainly busk these days and it takes a while to dial in a tone every time I go to busk I just thought that the bodyrez might be a good solution as it could get me where I want to get in a turn of a knob. Once I start tweeking things I get to picky which is time consuming. But I’m not shure it can offer me as good a tone as my Behringer ADI21. Considering I have low mid and high EQ on my acoustic amp my Behringer ADI21 Is another set of eqs to play around with as aposed to a bodyrez that has just 1 knob
Old 11-10-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:
I’m not really into guitar modelling
I've got a graduate degree in EE and in my opinion all of those pedals (AD-2, Bodyrez, various Zoom, Aura, ToneDexter, etc.) are using similar impulse response technology, which may or may not be marketed as modeling.

Some are loaded with a single piezo solution, some let you choose the target, some let you choose the source pickup type, and ToneDexter can make IRs on-the-fly in your home (at least for pickup types it supports).

At the end of the day 99% of your audience will not hear the difference and what we are tweaking is for our own satisfaction. If you can be satisfied without an IR or microphone second source, you will save yourself a whole lot of hassle.

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 11-10-2019 at 08:30 PM.
Old 11-10-2019, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty C View Post
I really like your set up. Simple and gets the job done. What pick up is in your Maton?
Thanks Marty, it does what I need it to do. My Maton has the AP5Pro pickup, which is stellar, but can have low end feedback problems in high volume situations. I was initially looking for a low cut pedal, but found the Boss AD-2, which lets me dial out the frequencies causing problems instead of a flat cut at a specific frequency. The Ambience feature is very nice as well.
Old 11-10-2019, 03:15 PM

Quote:
I've got a graduate degree in EE and in my opinion all of those pedals (AD-2, Bodyrez, various Zoom, Aura, ToneDexter, etc.) are using the similar impulse response technology, which may or may not be marketed as modeling.

Some are loaded with a single piezo solution, some let you choose the target, some let you choose the source pickup type, and ToneDexter can make IRs on-the-fly in your home (at least for pickup types it supports).

At the end of the day 99% of your audience will not hear the difference and what we are tweaking is for our own satisfaction. If you can be satisfied without an IR or microphone second source, you will save yourself a whole lot of hassle.
Interesting. Would you say the audience could tell much difference between someone using a cheaper Pre amp like the Behringer ADI21 (which is very good) compared to someone using something like a tonedexter or a fishman aura pre amp?
Old 11-10-2019, 05:03 PM

Quote:

I agree with this but 99% of your audience will not hear the difference between a high end guitar and a good plywood guitar either, but that doesn't stop people from buying the guitar of their dreams (or seeking it). We tend to buy this stuff, whether high end guitars or various gadgets in the signal chain, to please ourselves, IMHO.
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 11-11-2019, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Interesting. Would you say the audience could tell much difference between someone using a cheaper Pre amp like the Behringer ADI21 (which is very good) compared to someone using something like a tonedexter or a fishman aura pre amp?
The difference between the ADI21 and for example a high end Fire Eye is US hand assembly vs. mass production in China and marketing. The ADI21 is a great preamp.

Any preamp vs. an impulse response pedal (basically a digital filter that attempts to make a pickup sound more like a microphone) is subtle to an audience but could be very meaningful to your enjoyment of performing.

Perfecting "your guitar only louder" is a worthy hobby in and of itself. Plenty of the Amplification Forum participants rarely or never play out.

My duo partner has a collection of Martins and Taylors. The Martins have K&K's I installed and his Taylor is an older ES1.3 I've repaired a few times. He is a very accomplished player and singer. And he has no preference for his amplified tones between those options.

I A-B my IR on/off and he can hear that something is different but has no strong preference and knows the correct answer. I think I've beaten him to agreeing the HFN is the best sounding pickup in all our guitars. He has a GE-7 in his signal chain that he uses only as a boost pedal with the EQ set flat...

The simplest rig that you think sounds OK will make gigging much easier and be less hassle. Each step up in tone: UST, to SBT, to IR, to second source internal mic, to IR and mic, lower your feedback resistance, give you more knobs to twiddle when a particular room does not sound as good as the last, and is more stuff to have an unchecked knob set wrong (and more stuff to break).

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 11-11-2019 at 08:06 AM.
Old 11-11-2019, 08:25 AM

Quote:
The difference between the ADI21 and for example a high end Fire Eye is US hand assembly vs. mass production in China and marketing. The ADI21 is a great preamp.

Any preamp vs. an impulse response pedal (basically a digital filter that attempts to make a pickup sound more like a microphone) is subtle to an audience but could be very meaningful to your enjoyment of performing.

Perfecting "your guitar only louder" is a worthy hobby in and of itself. Plenty of the Amplification Forum participants rarely or never play out.

My duo partner has a collection of Martins and Taylors. The Martins have K&K's I installed and his Taylor is an older ES1.3 I've repaired a few times. He is a very accomplished player and singer. And he has no preference for his amplified tones between those options.

I A-B my IR on/off and he can hear that something is different but has no strong preference and knows the correct answer. I think I've beaten him to agreeing the HFN is the best sounding pickup in all our guitars. He has a GE-7 in his signal chain that he uses only as a boost pedal with the EQ set flat...

The simplest rig that you think sounds OK will make gigging much easier and be less hassle. Each step up in tone: UST, to SBT, to IR, to second source internal mic, to IR and mic, lower your feedback resistance, give you more knobs to twiddle when a particular room does not sound as good as the last, and is more stuff to have an unchecked knob set wrong (and more stuff to break).
I think you have convinced me to just keep with my ADI21. It costs nothing and sounds good. I don’t want to get into that mindset of being happy with something and then chasing more and more because that leaves you never satisfied. Maybe I will try out the bodyrez pedal to see if I like it because I like the simplicity of it especially for busking. I won’t get a chance to try one for a couple of months but till then I can wait. If I want an all in one solution (preamp with mic input and effects such as reverb) then I may look at one of the zoom preamps but I’m good with the ADI21.

Thanks for the help

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
acoustic, behringer v-tone, bodyrez, guitar, preamp