The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2004, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat
Hey FlashBazbo,
Check out the message recently posted from the guy who just bought a new Martin and it's warped. I rest my case about the problems with wood.
I feel really bad for that guy. That's terrible.
I told him to send the Martin back and get a Legacy AE from CA Guitars.
I hope he does it because I know he'll be very happy with it if he does.
You feel terrible because his guitar needs a minor truss rod tweak? What's gonna' happen when he needs to change the strings?

James
Old 07-24-2004, 08:25 AM

No carbon guitar sounds as good as rosewood/spruce combo (or any other wood for that matter). Plus they won't hold their value and they will never sound better than the day they were bought. Fiber guitars are junk. You can put a nice neck on them, and maybe some inlay, but they are still junk.
Old 07-24-2004, 09:10 AM

Talking

No, I feel bad for polarbear because he spent big $$ on a guitar and can't even play it until it gets fixed.

OH NO!! The wood loving, crybabies are attacking this post also!!

Wake up and smell the carbon...I mean coffee.

And again I say, It's the attack of the wood loving crybabies!!!

RUN!!
Old 07-24-2004, 09:23 AM

Default Ummm....

Ummm, Pat, as a fellow owner of a CA guitar (and wood guitars, I might add), you're sounding a little bit harsh here. Perhaps even as harsh as an early Rainsong. (Ooh, cheap shot!) Both carbon and wood have their place. I would never dream of bringing my Taylors down to Mission Bay and playing around a bonfire; the CA is very well suited for that. Likewise, there are subtleties of wood that I just don't hear in graphite. If I had to choose but one guitar, it probably would be a graphite guitar, just because it appears to require less maintenance. But out of respect for the vast majority who would prefer wood, I wouldn't belittle them like that.

Just a thought.

FWIW, my CA will be brought as a backup tomorrow morning at church. My 414ce gets the first shot.
Old 07-24-2004, 09:38 AM

Talking

I'm actually kidding...But, checkout the insults I've endured on the other thread. By the way. Everytime I take my CA anywhere I get compliments on how beautiful it looks... But supposedly they're ugly???

I was hoping that my comments above were obviously just joking around. They were kind of funny, I thought.
Old 07-24-2004, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat
I would also venture to say that that $3000 wooden guitar would have to be in the shop routinely and even sent back to the factory for repairs at least once.
What guitars sound better is purely subjective, but that quote is one of the most pathetically uninformed lines of jibberish I have ever seen in this forum. Your ventures are doing nothing but delivering misinformation, or at least skewering reality to your own advantage.
Old 07-24-2004, 10:32 AM

Pat,

Take a deep breath and relax. I've quite enjoyed this thread, and I'm hoping that we won't get so argumentative that its the next thread to be locked down.

It may indeed be true that carbon fiber guitars won't hold their resale price very well, and will be considered "junk" (relatively speaking) in a few years. The would only be evidence, however, that the art & science of building carbon fiber guitars is progressing very rapidly.

As an open mic host, I'll occasionally come across a talented young player who can do wonders with a "junk" pawn shop guitar. A surplus of good-sounding, highly playable, virtually indestructable, and highly affordable "junk" guitars will be a good thing for many - if it does occur.

Gary
Old 07-24-2004, 10:44 AM

Hello Pat,

I appreciate your posting on Carbon Fiber guitars, I wasn't aware of them and I had a look at the website you linked to. Very interesting. I'll definitely play one if I ever see it in one of my local guitar shops. Maybe they do have a permanent place in the future of acoustics!

I would say though that the number and (pun intended) "tone" of your posts is putting me off a bit. I don't know, as some have suggested, if you're affiliated w/the company who's link you are repeatedly posting, but I would say that you are coming off as having an agenda. As a rule, when someone comes to a conversation with an agenda, the conversation gets irritating very quickly. The reason for this is because there is no give and take, it's just someone turning every part of the conversation back to their point whether it's applicable or not. And the repetitive nature of the agenda is somewhat insulting to the listener, as it implies you think the "listener" just isn't getting it. Probably they either have heard it and disagree or have heard it and are simply not as excited as you are.

So I think you may consider that when reading the reactions to your posts. People may not be reacting to the content as much as the presentation. It's also quite possible that some traditionalists don't want to hear the news about carbon fiber, I don't know, but that opinion could be construed as a rather self satisfying conclusion on your part. I also don't think dismissing wood guitars and radically overstating the problems associated with them is helping your argument.

Seriously, I'm intrigued by the carbon guitars. For me they seem unlikely to make me a convert, as I'm having no problem with wood, and I like the smell, the look, and the intangibles of wood. But I will sure give them a try! If they are significantly better sounding than wood, I'll be there with you. If they are the same or worse, they're unlikely to float my boat.

Hope you take this in the spirit it was meant, as an attempt to communicate why you seem to be putting folks off a bit. Thanks!
Old 07-24-2004, 04:41 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

For me carbon graphite guitars are like freeze dried food.
Freeze dried food definately has it's place. It is "superior" to regular food in that it can withstand environmental extremes and has an almost indefinite shelf life. It is my food of choice when going on long backpacking trips. Taste isn't that bad, considering. You'll never convince me however that it tastes better than gourmet cooking.

I've gotten used to "gourmet" guitars. I'll save the synthetic ones for the trips to the wilderness.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 07-24-2004, 09:49 PM

OK, first of all Guitaniac, your comment that Carbon fiber guitars won't hold their value is TOTALLY unfounded. You have NO reason to think that they won't!! That's propaganda, plain and simple. Why wouldn't they hold their value?? There's no reason to pretend they won't and every reason to believe they will.
Furthermore, pretending that it is in anyway acceptible or accurate in anyway to call them "junk" is totally dishonest and you know it as well as I do!

Again, what is wrong with me getting the word out about this company by being totally truthful about the quality of their guitars?? If it weren't for someone posting about this company, I may have never gotten my Legacy AE.
You accused me of having an agenda....OK, here it is. I believe that CA is a great company and I want others to know about these instruments. That's my agenda. I am not affiliated in anyway with them...just a happy customer.

If you don't like it, go jump everyone who posts about their love for their Gibson, Taylor, or Martin.

The fact that you are implying that these guitars are or will be junk is rediculous and dishonest. If I am wrong about their tone then Tim McGraw's new album must be junk and it must have been produced by retards.

Tradition just for the sake of tradition is counterproductive to progress.

I have never said that Martins or Taylors, etc are junk but you have stooped to the level of lying to attempt to prove your point. That's really sad.

If it's wrong to praise my Legacy AE here than close the whole site because it's not really a discussion site that is not related to or affiliated with any company. That's what it is supposed to be.

By the way, has anyone heard of the group Third Day???
Marc Lee, the band's one guitarist played a beautiful Batson guitar. It appeared to me to be Koa on the DVD. Anyway, I just heard that the guitar got smashed while traveling. If that's true I feel bad for Mark. However, a CA would not only sound incredible in the studio but it would be safe to travel during touring.

I'm sorry if I offend anyone but at least I'm being totally honest. If you want good discussion stop exaggerating and lying to make your point!
Old 07-24-2004, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat
OK, first of all Guitaniac, your comment that Carbon fiber guitars won't hold their value is TOTALLY unfounded. You have NO reason to think that they won't!! That's propaganda, plain and simple. Why wouldn't they hold their value?? There's no reason to pretend they won't and every reason to believe they will.
Here's the thing on that... The reason some guitars hold their value (or even appreciate) it because they sound better over the years and to some degree because "they don't make them like they used to". A synthetic guitar will never sound better than the day it was created, so it doesn't have that going for it, and most likely their build quality will either stay consistent or actually improve for the foreseeable future so I don't see any gain there either.
In fact, think of it like this. If you had a chance to go for a new CA or a used one, you would have no reason to go used unless if was for a big price advantage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat
By the way, has anyone heard of the group Third Day???
Marc Lee, the band's one guitarist played a beautiful Batson guitar. It appeared to me to be Koa on the DVD. Anyway, I just heard that the guitar got smashed while traveling. If that's true I feel bad for Mark. However, a CA would not only sound incredible in the studio but it would be safe to travel during touring.
Let's not go too far shall we? Graphite guitars aren't immune to the forces of physics. If you step on a CA or a rainsong it will crunch just like a woodie. I don't know how Marc's guitar was wounded, but chances are if it got "smashed" a carbon guitar wouldn't have fared much better.

http://www.myspace.com/jasmusicspace
1996 Seagull S12 Plus
Old 07-24-2004, 10:42 PM

You beat me on both points.

The pros log thousands of miles traveling with their guitars, and damage just comes with the territory. If 1) synthetic guitars were significantly less damage prone than wood ones and 2) sounded that much better, I'd expect to see professional musicians completely replacing their wood ones. This has not happened. Woodies are far and away are the guitars of choice for professional musicians.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

Norman Maclean,

Last edited by Jeff M; 07-25-2004 at 02:21 AM.
Old 07-25-2004, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff M
For me carbon graphite guitars are like freeze dried food.
Freeze dried food definately has it's place. It is "superior" to regular food in that it can withstand environmental extremes and has an almost indefinite shelf life. It is my food of choice when going on long backpacking trips. Taste isn't that bad, considering. You'll never convince me however that it tastes better than gourmet cooking.

I've gotten used to "gourmet" guitars. I'll save the synthetic ones for the trips to the wilderness.
Yes, this makes sense. Don't be so bold though..........

Guitars I miss:

2015 Taylor 320
2004 Taylor 814ce L-7 Cocobolo

2003 Taylor 414ce L-5 Rosewood
2003 Taylor 314ce L-1 Koa

2001 Taylor 410 LOTF Koa
1998 Taylor 310

Pictures of Guitars!
Old 07-25-2004, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masmith
Yes, this makes sense. Don't be so bold though..........

"Bold" ?

I LIKE it !!! :lol

Henry Van Dyke

Norman Maclean,

Last edited by Jeff M; 07-25-2004 at 02:46 AM.
Old 07-25-2004, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat
The fact that you are implying that these guitars are or will be junk is rediculous and dishonest. If I am wrong about their tone then Tim McGraw's new album must be junk and it must have been produced by retards.
Tim McGraw? isn't he the who makes guitar sounds on his videos without even hitting the strings...If a CA can make me sound just like Tim McGraw then i'm a believer.

14fret 0
12fret 000
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber