The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2004, 12:16 PM

Default Evo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOTF
I'll just hold onto my solid wood guitars, thank you. Carbon fiber might sound just fine but it just doesn't have soul. I know, that's subjective but so is all art.
You can't fight Evolution Peter.

McPherson 4.5W RW/ZI
Taylor 812ce - Taylor 514ce - NS32-ce
Adamas W-597, Epi John Lee Hooker Sig #23 of 220, Squire Black Strat
Jay Turser Maple OM
Taylor W14ce / 422-R Babies x 3
Fishman 130W Tri-Amped Performer Acoustic Amp
Old 07-20-2004, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat
I'm predicting that once the word gets out more about CA Guitars the company will become one of the biggest USA guitar making companies out there!!
These guitars are AWESOME!! Rainsongs don't even compare to CA Guitars.
I have a CA Legacy AE and it sounds like a REALLY nice, vintage acoustic, wood guitar! CA doesn't do much advertising but they make incredible instruments.
I actually think my Legacy AE sounds better than most high end wood guitars and it's basically indestructible. If you think I'm nuts, find a dealer and try one out for yourself. Take your wallet though, you'll probably want to buy one on the spot.
I'm not knocking great wood guitars or anything but in my opinion it doesn't make sense to spend a lot of money on a wooden guitar that could easily get damaged in travel or need adjusted constantly if you gig, when there are guitars that sound as good or better and are indestructible.
Check them out for yourself
www.caguitars.com

I own a CA Bluegrass and I am enthusiastic about that. However I owned two
Rainsong in the past and I think that they are also excellent instruments.
The sound perhaps is less "woody" but it is very modern and enjoyable.
Both brands, in my mind, will have a great succfess in the future.
And, their customers service is fantastic.

gerardo1000
Old 07-20-2004, 06:54 PM

The day I buy a carbon guitar for $1,800 is the day I leap off a cliff.

I've played Rainsongs and CAs, and neither is anything which really bowled me over.

For the prices, they should've been.
Old 07-20-2004, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonA
If they put a decent sized nut width on that X model, I'd be very interested.
I understand the X will be getting a wider nut very soon.

1998 Very Sweet Wife
2000 Cute Daughter (Grand Concert)
2005 Handsome Son (Dreadnought)
2007 Lovely Daughter (Parlor)
2017 Cute Puppy (Duke the Uke)
Old 07-21-2004, 01:08 AM

I have an Adamas carbon fiber top, and I love it.

It is a superb instrument, has a neck that plays like buttah, has a sound {albeit not akin to my Mahogany/Cedar 514} that is gorgeous in its own right, is a piece of art, and has no humidity/tuning/travel issues.

If I could only have one, would that be it ? Probably not, but it is sweet. Come play it and see for yourself.

McPherson 4.5W RW/ZI
Taylor 812ce - Taylor 514ce - NS32-ce
Adamas W-597, Epi John Lee Hooker Sig #23 of 220, Squire Black Strat
Jay Turser Maple OM
Taylor W14ce / 422-R Babies x 3
Fishman 130W Tri-Amped Performer Acoustic Amp
Old 07-21-2004, 05:39 AM

Carbon won't replace wood in my lifetime so i'm not really concerned. At some point (in the far future) they may start eating into the current factories market share but they still won't touch the small builders where my dollars tend to go.

14fret 0
12fret 000
Old 07-21-2004, 05:47 AM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat
I'm predicting that once the word gets out more about CA Guitars the company will become one of the biggest USA guitar making companies out there!!
These guitars are AWESOME!! Rainsongs don't even compare to CA Guitars.
I have a CA Legacy AE and it sounds like a REALLY nice, vintage acoustic, wood guitar! CA doesn't do much advertising but they make incredible instruments.
I actually think my Legacy AE sounds better than most high end wood guitars and it's basically indestructible. If you think I'm nuts, find a dealer and try one out for yourself. Take your wallet though, you'll probably want to buy one on the spot.
I'm not knocking great wood guitars or anything but in my opinion it doesn't make sense to spend a lot of money on a wooden guitar that could easily get damaged in travel or need adjusted constantly if you gig, when there are guitars that sound as good or better and are indestructible.
Check them out for yourself
www.caguitars.com
. To each his own.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 07-21-2004, 07:52 AM

Here's a pretty good comparison.

Furniture. I have a whole house full of it. There are plenty of options out there, from fully composite, to metal, to laminates, to solid woods. They all do their respective jobs equally well. What do I choose? Wood. Solid wood any time I can get it. Generally OLD, SOLID WOOD to be very specific. The antique furniture I own doesn't do it's job (holding up lamps, enclosing clothes, nic-nacs, etc) than their modern plastic counterparts, in fact they may be inferior in many ways, but there is SOMETHING about it. Beauty, strength, craftsmanship, sometimes even a "soul" of sorts.

Same things apply to guitars. So assuming they can get the tone on a composite "equal" or better than wood, there would still be MANY reasons for some folks to choose wood over composite.

That being said, I want a composite guitar. Not because I think it sounds better or even the same as my woods, but because at some point I want to start gigging. I won't be able to control the environment in these places. May be inside, may be not. May be humid, may be dry. Might be 90 degrees at the start of the gig and 70 by the time for my break (think outside at sunset). At this point, tone and looks are all secondary if I have to stop between every song to tune, or if my playing and singing is suffering because every second I am worrying that my 414 is going to crack wide open from the humidity change or smell like smoke forever.

http://www.myspace.com/jasmusicspace
1996 Seagull S12 Plus
Old 07-22-2004, 10:53 PM

Talking

Don't anyone get me wrong, I'm not against wood. It is beautiful and sounds great. I am just saying that now there is something that sounds as good if not better and is more durable. It just makes sense to me to get the guitar that you don't have to worry about all the time.

I would venture to say that a wooden guitar costing twice as much as my CA Legacy AE would not sound better.
I would also venture to say that that $3000 wooden guitar would have to be in the shop routinely and even sent back to the factory for repairs at least once.

I've know quite a few people who paid big $$ for high end acoustics from believe it or not Gibson, Taylor, etc. who basically had their guitar fall apart or need pretty drastic repairs from normal use and the people I am talking about all took really good care of their instruments.
Bottom line, the characteristics of a good wooden guitar that make it sound great, often make it less durable. Wood needs to vibrate to produce a rich sound. Extra reinforcement/bracing needed to make a guitar more durable also makes it vibrate less so it doesn't sound as good. Also wood is greatly affected by temperature and humidity.
Carbon fiber like what is used by CA Guitars doesn't have any of the negative characterists of wood and can now be engineered to sound like fine wood but is EXTREMELY durable!!

Yes wooden guitars are beautiful and sound beautiful but thanks to CA Guitars it is making less & less sense to spend big $$ on a wooden guitar that may not last without spending additional big $$ on repairs.

I know there are always going to be people who just love wood and never want a CA and that's OK too! Hey, we're all fans of beautiful acoustic guitars!!
Old 07-23-2004, 05:24 AM

Wow. I must live a sheltered existence. I've been playing in bands for thirty years and I've never heard of anybody's guitar (at any price point) falling apart or needing drastic repairs.
Old 07-23-2004, 06:13 AM

My cedar-topped Tacoma ER22C has four long cracks in the top and a crack in the bridge - all professionally repaired. The first crack was due to neglect on my part. I didn't hydrate it enough the first winter. After the first crack, however, I keep a wet dampit in it at all times, as well as a wet clay pot in the case. That didn't prevent the subsequent crack-o-rama. I paid close to $xxxx for the guitar, but I'll be lucky to sell this one for firewood.

Admittedly, the Tacoma is the most extreme problem guitar that I've had. I've also had to deal with cracked bridges, however, and a '68 Martin which needed a new fretboard and a new (very shallow) bridge because the top has bellied out over the years.

Believe it. Wood guitars have their problems, especially when neglected. The CA Guitars are looking very good to me. If only the darn X model had a wider fretboard. I'm hoping that that feature will eventually become available on the X model or some other good sounding, small bodied carbon guitar.

Gary

Last edited by cotten; 07-24-2004 at 07:54 AM.
Old 07-23-2004, 08:33 AM

The X will get a wider fretboard soon, from what I hear. A CA Legacy AE will be my next guitar.

1998 Very Sweet Wife
Old 07-23-2004, 11:49 AM

FWIW Rainsongs have 1-3/4" nuts.

http://www.myspace.com/jasmusicspace
1996 Seagull S12 Plus
Old 07-23-2004, 10:46 PM

Talking

Hey FlashBazbo,
Check out the message recently posted from the guy who just bought a new Martin and it's warped. I rest my case about the problems with wood.
I feel really bad for that guy. That's terrible.
I told him to send the Martin back and get a Legacy AE from CA Guitars.
I hope he does it because I know he'll be very happy with it if he does.
Old 07-23-2004, 11:54 PM

I thought the same thing Pat, but didn't want to mention it in the midst of his grief.

1998 Very Sweet Wife
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber