The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-13-2005, 07:32 PM

Default wierdOne's Emerald photos

wierdOne asked me to host these for him. I'll leave the commentary to him.

Old 12-13-2005, 07:33 PM

Old 12-13-2005, 07:35 PM

Old 12-14-2005, 09:15 AM

well... as you can see... it's a beautiful instrument.... One piece graphite... the entire thing is one piece... even the bridge.... the cutaway was really comfortable to play high up on the neck.... almost as comfortable as your standard electric guitar.... truss rod... graphite nut... stainless steel frets... the finger board is woven graphite.. made by Parker.... I tried to show the arch with the pictures from the bottom of the guitar... notice the strangely shaped hole... it'd be kind of crazy to fit a rubber stopper in there to reduce feedback... but i'm pretty sure that's what the arched top is for.... Locking tuners... Silver metallic logo.... very cool looking... notice NO fret dots.... that's cool imho..... there's fret markers on the side of the neck.. just none on the face.... which we don't look at while we're playing anyways... notice the guitar on the chair.. the guitar is a little wider than the widest part of the chair (which is 19 inches)... so you're talking about a really bulky, but light, piece of musical equipment on your lap...

I didn't document the back of the guitar... it's not flat... but buldges out near the center kind of like the Gibson Blues King....

Anyways... it's a really neat guitar... that's really well balanced and surprisingly quiet for it's size (no doubt designed for stage use).... so IF i played on a stage every night with thousands.... no.... MILLIONS of screaming girls.... um... make that MILLIONS of scantily dressed women swooning at my feet... then i would have kept this sexy guitar.. But... I don't... and for the shear size of the guitar and money that I paid for it... I need a HUGE acoustic sound.... to play in my studio... not on tour...
Old 12-14-2005, 10:19 AM

Wierdone,
I can assure you that the goal was not to build a quiet guitar by the folks at Emerald. The goal was to have the best possible balance and tone with as much volume as possible as it is in any acoustic guitar shop. It just isn't happening with them yet, but I'm sure we'll see improvement in the volume area as they get the design tweaked and develop it a little more. I've played about a dozen of their guitars and have liked the overall tone and the rigid feel of the carbon fiber construction, but they haven't compared to the Rainsong models as far as volume goes. I'm a big fan of Ken Parker's work and use three Fly models regularly for live playing.

Also, the biggest guitar they make at Emerald which includes their acoustic bass measures 435mm at the widest point or about 17 1/4 inches wide. 19 inches would be a real stretch for most players to reach around comfortably.

Regards,
Kevin Gallagher/Omega Guitars

Last edited by Kevin Gallagher; 12-14-2005 at 11:58 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber