The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-20-2020, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccorobb View Post
If there is a way to conduct a poll on this forum, let me know how and I will set this thread up to do that. I'm not interested in theological debates here, just curious what percentage of the AGF community is enlisted in their local faith community on some level with the guitar.

A generation ago, churches were regularly turning out pianists who had great facility for sight reading four parts and the like, because it's just what you did as a church musician week after week. These days, I think many churches have transitioned to a rhythm section orientation, which usually includes a guitar or two. I wonder if the result might be a significant boost in acoustic guitar players specifically.

I have played guitar since high school, but it was really my involvement in church music in college that my love for the acoustic guitar, and sent me on a lifelong love of handbuilt acoustic instruments.

These days I pastor a medium-sized congregation, and I'm pretty sure I have more guitars than anybody who plays in the band ;-)

I've been playing at church for more than 30 years (I began really young )
-2020 Gibson Les Paul Special
-2019 Gibson Les Paul Studio
-2021 Fender Aerodyne Special Telecaster
-2022 Fender Telecaster 50s (Vintera)
-1994 Fender Telecaster Deluxe 70 (Vintera)
-Sire V5 5-string
Old 10-20-2020, 10:30 PM

Started playing in church when I was 17 in the ‘70s when the “Jesus Music” movement was happening. Still playing now all these years later. This is the golden age of worship music.
1998 Larrivee OM05-MT All Mahogany
1998 Larrivee D09 Brazilian “Flying Eagle”
1998 Larrivee D10 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"
1990 Goodall Rosewood Standard

https://soundcloud.com/247hoopsfan
Old 10-21-2020, 05:35 AM

My mom directed the Cherub choir . . . been a church musician ever since.

Usually on keyboards, recovering organist and choir director. I've only played guitar for small group meetings.
Old 10-21-2020, 06:08 AM

I've been playing guitar since 1965 - mostly just banging out a few chords for campfire-style stuff, and an occasional Beatles track I could replicate fairly convincingly.

Fast forward to about 15 years ago. There was an ad in the church bulletin looking for guitarists to form a guitar group. I figured I had this talent, such as it was, I might as well use it, so I joined.

I had never played in a structured environment before, so it was an adjustment. The part that surprised me was that I was actually learning a bit of music theory, which helped my playing immensely. I was also developing some technique. I learned Travis picking, which has since become one of my signature additions to the group (in moderation these days. I got a bit carried away a few years ago). In short, I benefitted greatly from this arrangement, both in skills and in the number of guitars I now own
Old 10-21-2020, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

My church doesn't have a band of sorts, we have a woodwind ensemble, a pianist and an organist. I suppose if I asked they would figure out a way. But we put on a Madrigal dinner every year during the holidays for a fund raiser. There are four performances and they are packed. They were looking one year for a travelling troubadour and couldn't find a lute player or a mandolin player willing to get up in front of everyone and play the part. So I have a ukulele and that was close enough. And I'm not shy. Like someone said, the audience doesn't know. So I play the uke, sing parodies of songs to give them an amusing renaissance flavor, tell a story or two and flirt with the ladies of the court when the king isn't looking. It is a blast and I look forward to it every year.

Last edited by rllink; 10-21-2020 at 10:42 AM.
Old 10-21-2020, 10:44 AM

I play mandolin in my church's worship band. The worship leader plays guitar, we have a bass, and two singers. I also act as fill in leader occasionally and play my Taylor 514ce through the PA.
I also play on the sidewalk, at farmers markets, open mics, and at country clubs or small parties. But I consider playing at church every Sunday my main gig. Oh, and I am not paid (at least in money!). Its all good.
1965 Gibson J-45 w/K&K/Ultratonic conversion
1940's??? Harmony Patrician archtop
2002 Taylor Big Baby
1985 Kentucky KM850 mando w/lr baggs radius
1959 Gibson A-5 Mando
2004 Fender Strat (Mexican)
Army bugle
Old autoharp
Indian flute
Cowbell

Last edited by poopsidoo; 10-21-2020 at 10:51 AM.
Old 10-21-2020, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyWifesHusband View Post
In the past I have played as part of a worship team (guitars, bass, keyboard, drums, vocals). More recently, before COVID, I played guitar and lead worship as part of an outreach ministry at the county jail substance abuse rehab program. I hope to resume that when conditions allow.
Nice my friend!
1965 Gibson J-45 w/K&K/Ultratonic conversion
1940's??? Harmony Patrician archtop
2002 Taylor Big Baby
1985 Kentucky KM850 mando w/lr baggs radius
1959 Gibson A-5 Mando
2004 Fender Strat (Mexican)
Army bugle
Old autoharp
Indian flute
Cowbell
Old 10-21-2020, 10:54 AM

I've played in church (and with Christian groups in other locations/venues etc) for more than 40 years. Back in the day I worked with The Salvation Army's leading contemporary musicians in the UK. Now in my retirement my local congregation is still happy to put up with me and my Taylor!
Old 10-21-2020, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie_D View Post
This preacher would encourage it, and want in on it.
The goal of the exercise for me is to find secular music that fits in a praise and worship setting. It's fairly easy since many secular artists are fairly out front with their faith.

Our most challenging thing has been working out an acoustic version of Audioslave's "Show Me How to Live". We have a lead female singer who can go there but the timing has been evasive. I'm pretty sure that one would never be done in a regular church setting.

One of the older guys on our team said what we were trying to do was impossible. He's now singing U2's "40".

The goal is to be a one set wonder and get off the stage.
Old 10-21-2020, 11:22 AM

I've been playing in our church praise band for years, and give free guitar lessons to many in the church.
Old 10-21-2020, 11:49 AM

I do. Mostly electric, but some acoustic. We have a full band... two guitars, keyboard, bass, drums, two to three vocals. We play mostly contemporary Christian, but will mix in some traditional hymns and gospel.
Old 10-21-2020, 01:55 PM

Been playing in church for over 40 years. Guitar and piano.
Old 10-21-2020, 02:33 PM
Charter Member

I've played as part of various worship teams at multiple churches. I've played guitar, bass, harmonica, mandolin or dulcimer depending on the group and the music. I work for a seminary so also play (usually bass) for chapel services on occasion-though we have suspended group worship since Spring.
Old 10-21-2020, 02:52 PM

Due to Covid I haven't been attending but prior to that I was playing in church every Sunday. We do old time Gospel stuff in our particular group. Love it!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion