The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-21-2020, 11:37 AM

I've played in my church's praise band for years. Nobody but me and the other guitar players in the church really even notice or care which guitar I'm playing, and that's exactly how I like it. The praise band music is not about me, the other players, or the equipment we use. That being said, I do obviously prefer the sound of my higher-end guitar, but there's something to be said about just grabbing my GS Mini or Ovation for rehearsal and/or playing during the services as well. They all get the job done, and honestly when combined with the other instruments I doubt it really makes much difference in the sound which one I'm playing.
Old 10-21-2020, 11:37 AM

Religious music, primarily Christian, is big business. I dare say that there is more live music going on in churches on Sunday morning than all other venues the rest of the week combined. You talk to any sound system company, and they will tell you that churches are their bread and butter. I play in the worship team at a very small church... sometimes the musicians on stage almost outnumber those in the audience, yet our sound system is better than you see in most night clubs that have live music.

There's a Facebook group page called Gear Talk: P&W. If you want to see some fancy gear showcased..... It seems P&W guitarists are especially into pedalboards and like to post pictures of theirs. Some have to be well into the thousands.

We sometimes joke about dentists and lawyers owning fancy guitars. Maybe worship bands is where they play them.....

As for audience members noticing what kind of guitar is being played. One of the women in our church makes a point of coming up and complimenting me when my guitar matches the outfit I'm wearing. So yes, they do notice.

....and by the way, that is one reason your wife may understand why you need multiple guitars.... to coordinate with the outfit you are wearing.

Last edited by stormin1155; 10-21-2020 at 11:44 AM.
Old 10-21-2020, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hey Jay
Glad you are finally catching up!! (with the rest of we retirees)
Larry, I will never catch up with you sir, even with bi-weekly Beegle lessons. Miss ya, hope you're well.

-jay
'98 SRV Fender Stratocaster
Old 10-21-2020, 04:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay7347 View Post
Larry, I will never catch up with you sir, even with bi-weekly Beegle lessons. Miss ya, hope you're well.

-jay
Hi Jay

We ARE well, sir. It'd be good to see you two again!

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 10-21-2020, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srbell View Post
The praise band music is not about me, the other players, or the equipment we use.
Well said!
Old 10-21-2020, 07:16 PM

My pastor is a classical violinist, his bow costs more than my two most expensive guitars combined.

In the music world, guitars are relatively cheap. Once you step in the classical music world, the idea of "expensive" changes really fast.
Old 10-21-2020, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormin1155 View Post

....and by the way, that is one reason your wife may understand why you need multiple guitars.... to coordinate with the outfit you are wearing.
You sir, just gave me my next excuse for buying a guitar! Yay!
Old 10-21-2020, 07:41 PM

When I was in college I applied for a part-time music leader position at a small church of about 75 people. The pastor asked if we could meet for an interview, and mentioned that he also played guitar. He asked if we could play together a little bit and I said "of course.' He showed up with not one but two Olson guitars. I stayed at that church until I moved out of town :-)
1990s Hirade K5
1996 Ibanez AG600e
2000s Eastman E10D
2009 Breedlove American 000 MM
2007 Breedlove DR Deluxe Custom
2010s Eastman E10OM SB
Old 10-22-2020, 01:42 AM
Charter Member

Folks, this thread is about worship bands... not religion.
Old 10-22-2020, 04:24 AM

I used to think no one noticed what guitar I was playing.

Way before our now-defunct praise band was moved into the choir loft at the back of the church, I was at a Taylor Road Show trying out some Taylors for the first time in their petting zoo.

Someone I didn’t know came up and said, “The Alvarez you play every Sunday sounds just fine.”

I guess there was at least one person who noticed what guitar I was playing.
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 10-22-2020, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post
I used to think no one noticed what guitar I was playing.

Way before our now-defunct praise band was moved into the choir loft at the back of the church, I was at a Taylor Road Show trying out some Taylors for the first time in their petting zoo.

Someone I didn’t know came up and said, “The Alvarez you play every Sunday sounds just fine.”

I guess there was at least one person who noticed what guitar I was playing.
That's an interesting point. We assume that most listeners can't tell the difference, but a reasonable percentage of high school students are fine musicians who can certainly recognize good tone. I have no idea how many care about specific guitar tone, but I suspect the number is not zero.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 10-22-2020, 06:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman1951 View Post
That's an interesting point. We assume that most listeners can't tell the difference, but a reasonable percentage of high school students are fine musicians who can certainly recognize good tone. I have no idea how many care about specific guitar tone, but I suspect the number is not zero.
I tend to agree. There are certainly a number (can't say what percentage?) of musicians in a given congregation that would probably be paying attention. And if they were guitar players (and we know there are a few of us around) they would probably take notice...I certainly would. But overall, I think the majority don't pay attention to that unless they are involved in music or more specifically guitar.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 10-22-2020, 06:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
I tend to agree. There are certainly a number (can't say what percentage?) of musicians in a given congregation that would probably be paying attention. And if they were guitar players (and we know there are a few of us around) they would probably take notice...I certainly would. But overall, I think the majority don't pay attention to that unless they are involved in music or more specifically guitar.
Or they know a little about guitars and want a reason to come up and talk. There's always somebody who might know something, and then there are people who would have you think they know something.
Old 10-22-2020, 07:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rllink View Post
Or they know a little about guitars and want a reason to come up and talk. There's always somebody who might know something, and then there are people who would have you think they know something.
So true.....

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 10-22-2020, 07:30 AM
Charter Member

Wow...this thread has veered way left of what I asked in my opening post. I never ever sought to criticize in any way those who are worship musicians...whether on small local church or the “professional” international mega church platforms. I merely was commenting on the appearance of high-end guitars on worship videos & clips, and my question was simply whether most got them as a result of some builder/company endorsement, if the church they were associated with provided them...or they simply used what they were fortunate enough to be able to buy themselves.

Just wondering...not judging, not criticizing.

Last edited by Kerbie; 10-22-2020 at 08:03 AM. Reason: Edited out religion

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion