The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-16-2020, 03:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I see you're from Florida - rooting for the Rays or Astros? I'm not a fan of either team but rooting for the Rays 100% here.

What about the Dodgers? Behind 3-1 in the series. Two must win games tonight.
Born and raised in Tampa, so I am a Rays fan since the beginning. Funny thing is, before the Rays came into existence, I was a Braves fan. They were the closest team to us way back when. Remember listening to Milo Hamilton calling the Braves games on radio (showing my age), back before the days of 24/7 cable TV coverage. As a kid, I got to go to lots of spring training games for the Reds, but my very first regular season game was Phil Niekro's retirement game when he signed a 1 game contract to retire as a Brave in 1987 I think it was.

So a Braves / Rays would be interesting to probably only me - I'm sure the network is dreading it for viewership numbers. If the Astros go on to win, I would only be happy for one member, Dusty Baker - love that guy as a player and as a coach!
Old 10-17-2020, 12:05 AM
Charter Member

Born and raised in Los Angeles (55') Go Blue!

Ray's / Dodgers... por favor.
Old 10-17-2020, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mak2525 View Post
Born and raised in Tampa, so I am a Rays fan since the beginning. Funny thing is, before the Rays came into existence, I was a Braves fan. They were the closest team to us way back when. Remember listening to Milo Hamilton calling the Braves games on radio (showing my age), back before the days of 24/7 cable TV coverage. As a kid, I got to go to lots of spring training games for the Reds, but my very first regular season game was Phil Niekro's retirement game when he signed a 1 game contract to retire as a Brave in 1987 I think it was.

So a Braves / Rays would be interesting to probably only me - I'm sure the network is dreading it for viewership numbers. If the Astros go on to win, I would only be happy for one member, Dusty Baker - love that guy as a player and as a coach!
Wow - Astros down 3-0 in the series have tied it. The Astros are only the second MLB team ever to be down 3-0 to tie the series. The first was that amazing 2004 Red Sox comeback against the Yankees. I think most of us Red Sox fans remember so much about that, include 'the steal' by Roberts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tippy5 View Post
Born and raised in Los Angeles (55') Go Blue!

Ray's / Dodgers... por favor.
Dodgers won last night. Down 3-2 in the series.

How have Dodgers fan welcomed Mookie Betts? I have to assume everyone's happy. He's not just a great player but always smiling. Miss him from the Red Sox.
Old 10-17-2020, 07:28 AM
Charter Member

Tippy5 - Your Dodgers are certainly not going away quietly!

The Rays have to be much smarter at the plate - making it way too easy on Astros pitching. If they don't stop trying to go downtown on every pitch, don't start getting some base hits, and most importantly, don't stop swinging at pitches barely in the batters box, much less over the plate - the Astros are going to win this series with four straight victories.

I suspect the Rays are going to face a barrage of curve balls tonight - at least until they show that they can actually hit that pitch! It's like the movie "Trouble with the Curve"!

Good Luck to your Dodgers
Old 10-17-2020, 07:34 AM
Charter Member

Dru: Yeah, that was an incredible comeback in '04! Unfortunately, it's looking like history may repeat itself if the Rays don't start hitting and Dusty Baker keeps out-coaching Kevin Cash!
Old 10-17-2020, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mak2525 View Post
Dru: Yeah, that was an incredible comeback in '04! Unfortunately, it's looking like history may repeat itself if the Rays don't start hitting and Dusty Baker keeps out-coaching Kevin Cash!
Yea, I think you're right about swinging for the fences. Sometimes you have to play small ball, especially if you have a great pitcher on the mound. It's those little things that win series.
Old 10-17-2020, 07:35 PM

NLCS goes to game 7. Can the Dodgers do it?

2005 Gibson J-45
1985 Guild D17
2012 Fender Am. Std. Stratocaster
1997 Guild Bluesbird
Old 10-18-2020, 03:59 AM
Charter Member

I have to admit, I'm kinda glad to see the Astros go home.
Old 10-18-2020, 07:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Yeah, even being a Rays fan - I was pretty much anybody but the Astros after last seasons scandal! The only person on the Astros I would feel good about, had they advanced, is Dusty Baker - a class act!

First time both Championship Series have gone 7 games - Great Stuff!
Old 10-18-2020, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Spivey View Post
NLCS goes to game 7. Can the Dodgers do it?
Another game 7. Great for fans. As has been said many times over the years "Anything can happen in a game 7".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
+1, Kirby. The biggest reason for me is that if the Astros had won the World Series, or even made it there, it might minimize the cheating scandal.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic