The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #61  
Old 04-14-2019, 11:37 PM
Deft Tungsman Deft Tungsman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 381
Default

Hey 2 minor, that is a beautiful instrument ! Thanks for sharing your build thread, it's been very exciting to see it all come together. Hearty congratulations!

Some dear friends have a place in Uzès, but the wife and I have not yet managed to avail ourselves of the open invitation to spend some quality time with them down there. The day we do, I'll be sure to try and arrange a visit to Bryant's shop. I thoroughly enjoyed the short video where he talks about the journey that's brought him this far in life.

One last thing, and I thank Juston for bringing it up. Let us know if it accommodates first-position cowboy chords, ok? (If it does, maybe even a guy like me can cop a jazz attitude with a box like yours...)
__________________
The Cast
Claro kC
2014 Claxton OM, Italian Spruce/Claro Walnut
Aloha Koa
2010 Baranik Retreux Parlor, Carpathian Spruce/Koa
Che Guerilla
2012 Baranik 00m, Carpathian Spruce/Higuerilla
Tuxedo Bolo Blue
2011 Baranik Meridian, Colorado Blue Spruce/Black Cocobolo
Stealth Bomb
2015 Blackbird Rider Steel, 100% carbon fiber
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 04-15-2019, 01:54 PM
Bluemonk Bluemonk is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 751
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deft Tungsman View Post
One last thing, and I thank Juston for bringing it up. Let us know if it accommodates first-position cowboy chords, ok? (If it does, maybe even a guy like me can cop a jazz attitude with a box like yours...)
Every Trenier I have played is beautifully balanced between the nut and the very last fret and will accommodate anything you throw at it.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 04-15-2019, 04:45 PM
iim7V7IM7's Avatar
iim7V7IM7 iim7V7IM7 is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: An Exit Off the Turnpike in New Jersey
Posts: 3,654
Default

Some more Argentine Gaucho Chords by Brandon Scott Coleman..

__________________
Acoustic Flat Tops by: Bashkin | Blanchard | Brondel | Buscarino | Chasson | Franklin | Klepper | Sexauer
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 04-15-2019, 04:52 PM
iim7V7IM7's Avatar
iim7V7IM7 iim7V7IM7 is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: An Exit Off the Turnpike in New Jersey
Posts: 3,654
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
I don’t see any first position chords!!
Jimmy uses an imaginary capo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deft Tungsman View Post
Hey 2 minor, that is a beautiful instrument ! Thanks for sharing your build thread, it's been very exciting to see it all come together. Hearty congratulations!

Some dear friends have a place in Uzès, but the wife and I have not yet managed to avail ourselves of the open invitation to spend some quality time with them down there. The day we do, I'll be sure to try and arrange a visit to Bryant's shop. I thoroughly enjoyed the short video where he talks about the journey that's brought him this far in life.

One last thing, and I thank Juston for bringing it up. Let us know if it accommodates first-position cowboy chords, ok? (If it does, maybe even a guy like me can cop a jazz attitude with a box like yours...)
The guitar sounds amazing with open chords actually. This archtop has tremendous sustain and supreme string to string clarity and strong trebles all the way up the neck. The recordings were made on my iPhone in a loud environment and can’t begin to convey its timbre.

Definitely look Bryant up if you visit Uzes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemonk View Post
Every Trenier I have played is beautifully balanced between the nut and the very last fret and will accommodate anything you throw at it.
Absolutely...
__________________
Acoustic Flat Tops by: Bashkin | Blanchard | Brondel | Buscarino | Chasson | Franklin | Klepper | Sexauer
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 04-17-2019, 02:12 PM
iim7V7IM7's Avatar
iim7V7IM7 iim7V7IM7 is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: An Exit Off the Turnpike in New Jersey
Posts: 3,654
Default

Archtops are indeed different beasts than flat tops but they do certain things really well. Good ones have supreme balance in volume across the strings, great string-to-string separation and maintain strength in their timbre all the way up the fretboard. This one has all that plus added sustain and a nice touch of added overtone warmth. It is a fantastic soloist instrument. Bryant is doing his own thing, but is no doubt very much influenced by the direction the late Jimmy D’Aquisto was headed in the late 1980’s and early 1990’s.

For a 17” instrument with thick plates, a rock maple neck and many ebony appointments it is quite light at 5.8 lb. the 25-1/4” scale is a nice balance between the power of a long scale and the ease of play and sweetness of a short scale. You can see in the photo below that Bryant continued to shape the bridge base (tapered now towards treble side) after he assembled and strung up the guitar. This is part of his build process to customize components of the guitar based upon playing it.

The Kent Armstrong 6-pole piece single coil floater does work even though the guitar has bronze strings on it. It has a clear, but warm tone to it amplified. It is set up at 7,000 ohms (there are two settings on this pickup: 7,000 ohm and 10,000 ohm) and has volume and tone pots under its finger rest. I will hold my thoughts on that until I get a set of nickel strings on the guitar.

I will try to post some examples for those “cowboy chord” curious flat top players out there in the next few weeks...

__________________
Acoustic Flat Tops by: Bashkin | Blanchard | Brondel | Buscarino | Chasson | Franklin | Klepper | Sexauer
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 04-17-2019, 03:44 PM
Bruce Sexauer's Avatar
Bruce Sexauer Bruce Sexauer is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Petaluma, CA, USA
Posts: 5,662
Default

As impressive as this guitar appears in photos, it is much nicer IMO in reality.
__________________
Bruce
http://www.sexauerluthier.com/
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 04-17-2019, 05:26 PM
iim7V7IM7's Avatar
iim7V7IM7 iim7V7IM7 is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: An Exit Off the Turnpike in New Jersey
Posts: 3,654
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
As impressive as this guitar appears in photos, it is much nicer IMO in reality.
High praise coming from you (thanks)...
__________________
Acoustic Flat Tops by: Bashkin | Blanchard | Brondel | Buscarino | Chasson | Franklin | Klepper | Sexauer
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 04-17-2019, 05:40 PM
justonwo's Avatar
justonwo justonwo is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 5,245
Default

Love that headstock. What a beauty!
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 04-18-2019, 06:56 PM
iim7V7IM7's Avatar
iim7V7IM7 iim7V7IM7 is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: An Exit Off the Turnpike in New Jersey
Posts: 3,654
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
Love that headstock. What a beauty!
Thanks Juston...
__________________
Acoustic Flat Tops by: Bashkin | Blanchard | Brondel | Buscarino | Chasson | Franklin | Klepper | Sexauer
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old Yesterday, 07:25 AM
iim7V7IM7's Avatar
iim7V7IM7 iim7V7IM7 is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: An Exit Off the Turnpike in New Jersey
Posts: 3,654
Default

There are very few non-flatop guitar builds chronicled here in the AGF Custom Shop. I am happy to have shared a few builds here because while archtops are slightly different “animals” than steel stringed flat tops, they acoustically do certain things particularly well, are beautiful and to me represent the pinnacle of guitar lutherie. Here’s a family shot of my three archops: my 16” Comins Classic Archtop (humbucker + Barbera); 17” Trenier Artifex Archtop (single coil); and 3) 16” Comins Zelig Slope Rimmed Archtop (acoustic).

__________________
Acoustic Flat Tops by: Bashkin | Blanchard | Brondel | Buscarino | Chasson | Franklin | Klepper | Sexauer
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old Yesterday, 01:23 PM
chippygreen's Avatar
chippygreen chippygreen is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 218
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
There are very few non-flatop guitar builds chronicled here in the AGF Custom Shop. I am happy to have shared a few builds here because while archtops are slightly different “animals” than steel stringed flat tops, they acoustically do certain things particularly well, are beautiful and to me represent the pinnacle of guitar lutherie. Here’s a family shot of my three archops: my 16” Comins Classic Archtop (humbucker + Barbera); 17” Trenier Artifex Archtop (single coil); and 3) 16” Comins Zelig Slope Rimmed Archtop (acoustic).

Bob, you have IMMACULATE taste in wood selection!
__________________

Michaud OO-R/OM-R TBD (upcoming build)
Michaud J-R Sitka/MBW
Bashkin 00-12 Adirondack/Mahogany
Bashkin 0M-MS Swiss Moon/Panama Rosewood (build thread)
Bashkin GC-12 Sitka/Koa
Martin 00-28c Spruce/Brazilian Rosewood ('67)
Martin M-36 (R) Sitka/EIR
Carter-Poulsen J-Model German Select Spruce/Macassar Ebony
K. Yairi RF-120 Spruce/EIR
Yamaha G-231 Cedar/Mahogany ('71)
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old Yesterday, 01:44 PM
iim7V7IM7's Avatar
iim7V7IM7 iim7V7IM7 is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: An Exit Off the Turnpike in New Jersey
Posts: 3,654
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippygreen View Post
Bob, you have IMMACULATE taste in wood selection!
Thanks Justin, but the credit honestly goes to the luthiers, not me.... These three archtops are actually all different in their wood selection.
  • 16” Comins Classic has a Carpathian Spruce top from Romania and a Fiddleback Bigleaf Maple back and sides from the Cascades.
  • 17” Trenier Artifex has an Italian Alpine Spruce top and Fiddleback Bosnian Sycamore Maple back and sides.
  • 16” Comins Zelig has a Carpathian Spruce top from the Ukraine and Fiddleback Honduran Mahogany from Belize.
__________________
Acoustic Flat Tops by: Bashkin | Blanchard | Brondel | Buscarino | Chasson | Franklin | Klepper | Sexauer
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=