The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-15-2019, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortfinger View Post
I'd take the $5,000 to a good luthier, and get the bespoke guitar I wanted.
Hi Lori and welcome to the forum! It is great that you know what you want and I think that between Wade's post and the above suggestion, you have a lot of great options.

The advantage of buying something already out there is that you can play it before you put down the money. If you are dealing with a luthier in your price range with a fine reputation, then you have the best chances of having a good outcome with a custom built instrument.

Good luck with your search and let us know what you decide.

Best,
Jayne
Old 02-15-2019, 12:30 PM

Thank you, all, for your very helpful recommendations.

I live about 2 1/2 hours northeast of Minneapolis, Minnesota, in a small Wisconsin town. My budget is up to $3000.00.

I have begun exploring all of your recommendations and hope to settle on one soon.

Thank you, again. This forum is wonderful.
Old 02-15-2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori8454 View Post
Thank you, all, for your very helpful recommendations.

I live about 2 1/2 hours northeast of Minneapolis, Minnesota, in a small Wisconsin town. My budget is up to $3000.00.

I have begun exploring all of your recommendations and hope to settle on one soon.

Thank you, again. This forum is wonderful.
Excellent! Please let us know what you end up with.
Old 02-15-2019, 01:14 PM

Say hello to my B.I.L., owner of the Chippewa Inn out east of Hayward, corner of A and B. He'll build you an old-fashioned.

As for the guitar, phone one of the guys at Wildwood Guitars out in Louisville, CO, and give them your specs. They've got one of the biggest inventories of Martin, Gibson, Froggy Bottom, and more. New and used. They write their own specs, and Martin builds to them. See if they still have the Martin Sugar Ray.

Naples, FL

1972 Martin D18 (Kimsified, so there!)
Alvarez Yairi PYM70
Yamaha LS-TA with sunburst finish
Republic parlor resonator
Too many ukeleles

Last edited by Shortfinger; 02-15-2019 at 01:23 PM.
Old 02-15-2019, 01:20 PM

Default Recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori8454 View Post
Hello, everyone. My son-in-law recommended I write to this forum and seek suggestions regarding a guitar purchase. Here's what I am looking for (and it might not exist):

1. a 24.9 inch scale
2. a low oval or modified low oval or C shape neck
3. a 1 11/16 inch nut width (I have small hands.)
4. ebony fret board
5. a balanced tone, with more of an emphasis on bass sounds

I love the sound of the Martin 000-42, but it is out of my price range.
Thank you for your recommendations.
Taylor Academy

The guitar’s design specs are optimized for playing ease. Taylor’s patented, slim-profile neck features an array of hand-friendly touches: a shorter 24-7/8-inch scale length, 1-11/16-inch nut width, low action, and light gauge strings, all of which contribute to a slinky handfeel. The lightweight guitar body, featuring layered sapele back and sides with a solid Sitka spruce top, boasts an ergonomic armrest that enhances the playing comfort for one’s picking arm.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
guitar recommendations